Freddy: "Let's all be positive."

Craig

NEWCASTLE United Chairman Freddy Shepherd issued a "let's all be positive" message ahead of Saturday's game with Blackburn Rovers at St. James' Park.

And with 10 home games still to come in the remaining 17 Premiership fixtures, the Magpies supremo still believes Europe is a very realistic target for the club to chase.

The visit of Rovers could prove to be an historic day at Gallowgate as Alan Shearer looks for the one goal he needs to top the club's all-time scoring charts.

And apart from the striker's personal mission, the weekend game already promises to be a landmark fixture for a number of reasons.

For midfield pair Nolberto Solano and Lee Clark are each poised to make their 250th appearance for the club - while the number of people who have watched the Magpies in action over the course of the season both home and away will pass the magical one million mark.

United are also chasing a first Premiership double over Blackburn, having beaten Mark Hughes' team 3-0 at Ewood Park back in September.

A good omen might be the fact that Newcastle have only lost once at home in the league this term - a 2-0 loss to Manchester United back in August - and Mr Shepherd is keen to see the Geordie backing rewarded with goals and three points.

He told nufc.co.uk: "This is a time for everyone associated with Newcastle United - from the boardroom, to the coaching and playing staff and all our loyal fans - to be positive and to go for it.

"Sometimes people can look at the negatives too much. Yes we have injuries, but people shouldn't forget that we still have a lot of quality players and experienced internationals available.

"We still have 10 home matches to play in the Premiership and that's 30 points, so I don't understand why some people are saying we cannot qualify for Europe when nothing has been decided yet.

"I still believe we can, you have to be positive when there are still so many games left. There is still over three months of the season left, and anything can still happen

"The injuries have also meant that some of the younger lads have been given a chance to come through and test themselves on the biggest stage.

"Newcastle fans always like to see good young players rise through the ranks, and if any of those lads are involved against Blackburn, then I know they'll get the full backing of the crowd which will give them confidence.

"A good win against Blackburn would set us up nicely for the FA Cup game at Cheltenham the following week and that's what we're all aiming for.

"The message is simple: With the best fans in the business backing us, let's all be positive and get out there and climb up the table and have a good run in the cup."

There have been some fantastic occasions at St. James' over the years, but should skipper Shearer set a new club goalscoring record by netting against one of his former clubs then the stadium will erupt in celebration.

Mr Shepherd believes the 35-year-old is "pound for pound" United's greatest ever signing, and nothing would give him greater pleasure than to see the number nine reach the milestone in front of 52,000 of his fellow Geordies.

He added: "I think every Newcastle fan wants to see Alan break the goals record right here at St. James' Park.

"When he scored his 200th goal to go level with Wor Jackie in our last home match against Mansfield, the noise from the stands was just unbelievable.

"We've had some unforgettable days and nights at St. James' over the years, and if Alan were to score against Blackburn then it would rank right up there with the very, very best.

"Alan was a fantastic servant for Blackburn - with his goals helping then win the Premiership - and he's been a fantastic servant for Newcastle, so in a game between two of his clubs it would be great if he hit the record on Saturday.

"It will be wonderful for everyone at the club when it happens. I'm positive about that."

Tell Freddy to fuck off.

82121[/snapback]

I'll second that!

Also i really wish Big Al was going to break the record in happier and more entertaining times, with the fans in high spirits and not suicidal. When he does it he'll get a fantastic reception no doubt, but it would be even better were the fans not depressed and angry at the match every home game these days!

Yes, let's all stick our heads in the sand.

82203[/snapback]

Maybe we should all cover our eyes and collectively chant "We are doing well, we are doing well" at the match tommorrow. The power of the mind and all that.

I'm confused by what Freddie is saying. So, he's saying 'be positive' because we still have plenty of quality even with injuries? Then Fred, why are we playing so shite? :lol:

'Blah blah blah...be positive...geordie nation...everything is fine...have I mentioned how great georides are yet?...munch...chomp...arse lick...give me your money...'

07-minister.jpg

its a message to Souness. This is how the remainder of his time here will be. Souness uses his mates in the media for thinly veiled attacks on the slimy greedy chairman, Freddie uses his for thinly veiled attacks on the Scottish tacheless wanker.

I'm confused by what Freddie is saying. So, he's saying 'be positive' because we still have plenty of quality even with injuries? Then Fred, why are we playing so shite?  :lol:

'Blah blah blah...be positive...geordie nation...everything is fine...have I mentioned how great georides are yet?...munch...chomp...arse lick...give me your money...'

07-minister.jpg

82213[/snapback]

I guess in his defence, what can he say? But better to shut the fuck up imo. I bought a program at the Mansfield match for the first time in yonks as I was taking my nephew. Honestly, it's almost worth buying for the laughable bull shit in Shearer's, Shepherd's, but especially Souness's column!

"Blah blah blah, lady luck not shining, blah blah blah, injuries, blah blah, no easy matches, blah, media are destroying the club, blah blah".

"We still have 10 home matches to play in the Premiership and that's 30 points, so I don't understand why some people are saying we cannot qualify for Europe when nothing has been decided yet.

quote]

82110[/snapback]

Becuase you fat prick, you appointed an even bigger prick who would struggle to get a good performance out of the Chelski squad, as manager.

I can't work out if he's setting Souness up for a fall there.

82123[/snapback]

I thought it was bad news when I read it. It sounds like Souness will definitely be given until the end of the season to "get us into Europe".

I can't work out if he's setting Souness up for a fall there.

82123[/snapback]

I thought it was bad news when I read it. It sounds like Souness will definitely be given until the end of the season to "get us into Europe".

82233[/snapback]

If Shepherd really believes Europe is a possibility he is a bigger idiot than I ever gave him credit for.

I'm confused by what Freddie is saying. So, he's saying 'be positive' because we still have plenty of quality even with injuries? Then Fred, why are we playing so shite?  :lol:

07-minister.jpg

82213[/snapback]

Sadly true, he seems to think any load of complete bullshit can be masked with the words "Geordies" being placed alongside "the best" or "great" etc.

He could try the words "Souness" next to "kicked out on his fucking arse" and he'll get an incredibly positive response!