it's time we got rid of the national anthem

Dr Gloom

i cringe before any international game of football when we have to sit through that rubbish.

the tune itself is completely uninspiring when you compare it to la marseillaise or il canto degli Italiani.

outdated words, when there are as many republicans as royalists living in the country. it's time to change it. but to what?

is it not god save the queen? if not, how come we're subjected to that rubbish before every international game of football? land of hope and glory, or something, would be better.

is it not god save the queen? if not, how come we're subjected to that rubbish before every international game of football? land of hope and glory, or something, would be better.

I reckon Vindaloo would win the popular vote

GSTQ is the UK's. None of the component parts of the UK have individual ones. At least I read that somewhere. Hence Flower of Scotland being used at the Commonwealth Games now for the sweaties when it used to be Scotland the Brave. I.e. you could theoretically sing what you want. Northern Ireland use Danny Boy at Commonwealth Games and God Save the Queen at football matches I think.

I think I've said before the funniest thing about the current one is when they changed "born to reign over us" to "long to reign over us" as they thought "born" was a bit iffy not realising its the "reign over us" that's fucking shit.

Asking a non-existent deity to look after an institution I abhor makes the entire edifice a non-starter for me.

Dr Jones by Aqua would get a crowd buzzing. "WAKE UP NOW!"

:lol:

I counter with Hangin Tough by New Kids on the Block. "Ohhhh, ohhh, ohh weeey oh!" Would be ace.

:lol: What about 5ive's "Keep on Movin'"

Can you imagine a crowd of middle Englanders doing the little bit of white boy rap on there:

When the rainy days are dying,

Gotta keep on, keep on trying,

All the bees and birds are flying (ahh)

Never look oh you gotta hold on and,

Not stop till the break of dawn and

Keep moving, don't stop rocking (ahh)

Before launching into a chorus of:

Get on up, when you're down, baby

Take a good look around, I know it's not much,

But it's ok, Keep on moving on anyway

I mean I'm joking, but that would be better than GSTQ without a shadow of a doubt.

Reckon War Pigs would be canny. Plus, all 7 minutes of it would actually seem like less time than God Save The Queen's terrible 2.

:lol: Fucking love that tune. Faith No More did a mint cover as well.

On what planet is that sentence even remotely true?

It's true in my world. Anecdotally, admittedly, but I know as many republicans as I do royalists

Sadly its one of those issues where the royalists and people who couldn't give a shit outnumber those with sense.

I cling to the hope that Charles will do enough damage to at least start a debate.

Sadly its one of those issues where the royalists and people who couldn't give a shit outnumber those with sense.

I cling to the hope that Charles will do enough damage to at least start a debate.

Correct. No-one is seriously going to propose it right now, but providing they don't skip a generation and Charles becomes King, there'll be a serious debate.

I'm all for a republic.

Fuck that man, London is next against the wall after the Royals.

:lol:

It's all about London isn't it? No need to hide it in the next anthem. Once the capital is got rid of, the anthem after London Calling can be 'I'm free' by the soup dragons. :good: