Gerrard vs. Lampard

Makom

Compare and contrast the reaction Lampard's departure from English football got, and the one Gerrard has got. It doesn't stack up for me.

Trophies?

Lampard pisses all over Stevie G in the trophy stakes obviously.

Goals?

Again, Lampard pisses all over Stevie G, both for club & country. He also beats Gerrard in the all time table for league assists.

England record?

Their records & achievements with England are obviously quite similar, with neither being regarded as really having replicated club form for country. But notably, Lampard scored more goals in fewer games.

Skill / effort / sportsmanship?

Hard to judge, both are obviously skilled players and put lots of effort in. But the comments heard today has reminded me of Gerrard's reputation as a horrible tackler. Not sure I remember the same criticism of Lampard. I also can't help noticing the there appears to have been a longer/greater drop off in skill/contribution from Gerrard in his later years, compared to Lampard. Not sure if Gerrard were to somehow sign for City next season he'd be as influential as Lampard was.

Loyalty?

Lampard stayed at Chelsea until such time as they offered him no contract, to play for Chelsea he would literally have had to play for nothing. Gerrard by contrast fucked off simply because they only offered him a 1 year deal. Neither can be called a one club man as both are off to the MLS, and it's pretty unrealistic to have expected Lampard to stay at West Ham throughout his career. Although they both retired from England in 2014, notably Lampard is two years older than Gerrard, so he's arguably been more loyal to the country.

The only thing I could find to separate the two in a way that favoured Gerrard, was in individual accolades, and Gerrard only wins that because he has two World Footballer of the Year awards compared to Lampard's one.

The love in from the LFC supporters was to be entirely expected I supposed, it's the difference between the plaudits Gerrard has received today from pundits and commentators for being such a great footballer and a great man, compared to what I remember for Lampard, is what's grating me. I just can't see how anyone can justify the difference, based on the above.

Edited by Mako

I think as someone mentioned in another thread, the media needed something to get worked up about given the title is over with.

Also, Liverpool fans are massively emotional, and this is an extension of that, I guess.

But I agree with your assessment in general, there's no reason his send off should be more than Lampard's based on any objective criteria.

Aye I think they were of a similar level as players, Lampard no doubt the classier bloke of the two but that's irrelevant when talking about their ability. I think Gerrards game dropped off more as he was a true box to box player whereas Lampard was more attacking. I personally always preferred Lampard but that was without doubt heavily influenced by the fact Gerrard is quite clearly a total charver and loved a scything challenge.

I'm actually wondering if a little bias isn't creeping into the media/pundits based on how they perceive the clubs they played for, rather than the players in isolation.

Maybe - you can't really say that Chelsea have a particularly strong media love-in going for them, can you?

Whereas Liverpool most certainly do.

Actually, it's always been pretty obvious that the media is heavily Liverpool biased come to think of it.

Gerrard was more all-round out of the two and I'd have probably rather had him in my time.

Although his limitations were more exposed at international level than Lampard's.

I'll just say Scholes instead.

I'll just say Scholes instead.

Agree fully. I might be remembering it wrong but I watched that documentary about Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and that lot once, there was a bit where Gary Neville was talking about winning the Champions League and afterwards he barged into Scholes' room to get him out, Scholes was sat in bed, lights off, watching a film on his laptop and eating wine gums :lol:. I think he was one of the extreme rarity of blokes who actually would have played for nowt, he just loved playing and wasn't arsed about any of the celebrity that come with it. He was a shocking tackler btw :lol: although that was just lack of ability in that area rather than cuntery like Gerrard.

Mourinho tried to sign Gerrard at 3 different clubs and he certainly thought he could play him and Lampard together. I actually agree, he couldve probably pulled it off and it's more a reflection on the ability of the various England coaches who tried and pretty much failed. Lampards introduction to tournament football at Euro 2006 effectively pushed Scholes into early retirement. It wouldve been interesting how a decent coach would have done with the three of them.

Well, the reaction of the media and pundits to Scholes' retirement was perfectly in proportion to his achievements/ability imho, but it's hard to compare that to Gerrard/Lampard because we will never really know what he could have brought to England. In the case of Gerrard/Lampard however, we know exactly what we're comparing, hence my bafflement at why Gerrard seems to be being lauded as the better player and indeed better man than Lampard.

:lol: Classic introvert behaviour. I could see me doing that if put in the same position.

In response to Howay's post obv.

:lol: It's the wine gums that get me, guaranteed he bought them for the trip forgot about them and then had a right smile to himself as he realized he had a treat in his bag for after the game, if they won of course.

Phil Thompson was crying on sports saturday as they showed the opening scenes of the game yesterday tea time. Stelling was talking through the scenes, the camera was then on Stelling before going out to include the four stooges, Le Tissier, Merson, Nicholas and Thompson quickly wiping away his tears before anyone saw him. :lol: