What's the crack, is it just random punters that can sign up as drivers and use their own cars, or is there a bit more structure to it than that? Anyone used it? I gather it's in Newcastle now - I started signing up the other day but packed in when they wanted credit card details.

Is there not some sort of course you have to take? How else am I going to learn the art of conversing on any topic sans the ability to make a cogent point?

What's the crack, is it just random punters that can sign up as drivers and use their own cars, or is there a bit more structure to it than that? Anyone used it? I gather it's in Newcastle now - I started signing up the other day but packed in when they wanted credit card details.

They kinda need your credit card as it's a cashless service. I'm not sure of any particular drawbacks with using it, I haven't heard any bad reports.

Sounds like it could get a bit rapey. Aye I just packed in mainly cos I didn't have my card on me and didn't see me using the service anytime soon, I'm not one of these mongs that's scared of sharing his credit card details.

I use it when I'm in London but haven't up here yet. It's good in the sense that you don't need cash on you since they can just charge your card, you can follow the car's progress on GPS, you rate the driver, etc. I've no sense for how expensive it is really though, as you seem to need to take out a mortgage to use taxis in London in general. We were in it for about an hour trying to get to a bar and it cost about £35...

I'm a massive fan and use it every week. What works for me is not having to carry currency or get a receipt and it working in (virtually) every country I travel to. Airport to city centre is often expensive and few taxis take cards so you always need lots of cash (e.g. Malpensa to Milan city centre is 100+). With Uber you land, launch the app, tap the pick up button and that's it. When you get out the receipt is emailed to you and is kept on your account page. My secretary has access and just downloads the pdf to put it straight into the system. For that alone I love it. I read recently that some business don't use cabs anymore (in US probably) and the whole company account is through Uber.

Obviously I use the executive service but the basic is cheaper than a cab and apparently you can car pool too and make it even cheaper. The fact that you can use it so many different ways makes it good. The safety issue doesn't exist, it's safer than a cab as everything from time of pick up, drop off, route taken and location is recorded and easily accessible.

The cherry on the cake being a few taxi drivers might understand the impact of welfare cuts a bit more acutely.

Is there not some sort of course you have to take? How else am I going to learn the art of conversing on any topic sans the ability to make a cogent point?

Become a hairdresser?

Used it in London when I lived there and now in Manchester. Its great, don't have to speak to anyone and they usually turn up in 2/3 mins cos the request is sent to the nearest car.

Drivers are background checked for serious crimes according to the last BBC news story I read about it. So sorry Gemmill, you're just going to have to find another outlet for your rape fantasies. I'm not sure if you wanted to be the driver or passenger like....

:doubleact::baa:

unsurprisingly london cabbies hate uber, another bonus.

Cabbies exist at the two extremes for me; they're either brilliant (taking short cuts, knowing when to chat & when not, letting you off fares) or utterly intolerable.

Minicabs are generally shit. Don't know where they're going, try to over charge, a lot of them smell really bad and will either talk shit at you or spend the entire journey talking loudly on their hands free phone.

Can't understand all the happy clappy excitement :lol:

It's just another taxi firm which has very poor coverage and charges you through the nose at peak times.

Nearly all taxi firms have an app and take cards already.

Would have especially thought the socially conscious on here wouldn't be giving their money to a firm that pays no UK Tax. [emoji6]