Just now, The Fish said:

No doubt it will continue, but it may see significantly fewer drivers on the streets, which will in turn surely see prices increase as demand outstrips supply?

Actually I was wrong, they are being punished for something - apparently they're not a fit and proper company and don't carry out necessary safety checks, etc. That could lead to them having to make a fundamental change to their operational procedures, and will likely involve significant costs. So yeah they might appeal, but after that they need to make the sums work. Probably they'll start charging more.

Either way, as you say, prices will rise.

25 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Actually I was wrong, they are being punished for something - apparently they're not a fit and proper company and don't carry out necessary safety checks, etc. That could lead to them having to make a fundamental change to their operational procedures, and will likely involve significant costs. So yeah they might appeal, but after that they need to make the sums work. Probably they'll start charging more.

Either way, as you say, prices will rise.

and as prices rise, punters will return to/rely on mini cabs firms like Addison Lee and Keen Group, or black cabs. Especially as the latter now have reliable apps like Hailo and Gett, which mean you can have one come to your house and pick you up, rather than having to flag one down or find a taxi rank.

Edited by The Fish

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

and as prices rise, punters will return to/rely on mini cabs firms like Addison Lee and Keen Group, or black cabs. Especially as the latter now have reliable apps like Hailo and Gett, which mean you can have one come to your house and pick you up, rather than having to flag one down or find a taxi rank.

Right, so greater regulation could increase their overheads and make them far less disruptive. Moreover, many other more formally established taxi companies will have adopted aspects of their operational procedures, so their competitive advantage in terms of processes will have diminished.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Uber is ridiculously cheap and their drivers have pretty dire working conditions/workers rights.

It's no bad thing if the prices go up to address these issues.

They'll still be much cheaper than black cabs. Also, you'll be far less likely to be taxied around by Tommy Robinson types than you are in a black cab.

20 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Uber is ridiculously cheap and their drivers have pretty dire working conditions/workers rights.

It's no bad thing if the prices go up to address these issues.

They'll still be much cheaper than black cabs. Also, you'll be far less likely to be taxied around by Tommy Robinson types than you are in a black cab.

Not sure the increase in prices will filter down to the drivers to be honest.

this must open the market place up for a new ride hailing app, with competitive prices but better working conditions.

i'm caught between having sympathy for the drivers and not wanting to give up the convenience of an app that gets cab to be with me 5 minutes after the tap of a smartphone button. 

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

this must open the market place up for a new ride hailing app, with competitive prices but better working conditions.

i'm caught between having sympathy for the drivers and not wanting to give up the convenience of an app that gets cab to be with me 5 minutes after the tap of a smartphone button. 

Hailo, Gett

They are playing the victim card.

As you may have heard, the Mayor and Transport for London have announced they will not be renewing Uber’s licence to operate in our city when it expires on 30 September.

We are sure Londoners will be as astounded as we are by this decision. By trying to ban the app from the capital, the Mayor and Transport for London have caved in to a small number of people who want to restrict consumer choice.

Not only will this decision deprive you of the choice of a convenient way of getting about town, it will also put more than 40,000 licensed drivers who rely on our app out of work.

We will be immediately challenging this decision in court.

If you want to continue using the Uber app in London - and to defend the livelihoods of 40,000 licensed drivers - please sign this petition urging the Mayor to think again.

Tom Elvidge,
Uber London

When I worked over there I thought it was odd that all the taxis seemed to be owned by two companies owned by two brothers (who supposedly couldn't stand each other :lol: ). Fona cabs and Value cabs or something like that?

1 minute ago, Ant said:

exactly that, the mccasulands , there was a court battle and such between them years ago, but i think the supposed bitterness is overplayed to cover the fact the two of them controlled those two firms, plus various other companies where they also appear to be in competition...construction firms, parking structures and other shit.

needless to say when Uber arrived suddenly those two firms were up in arms, suddenly produced smartphone apps and pay by card etc, too little too late, many times have i stood waiting for a taxi from one of those two shit firms for it not to arrive or arrive and then not want to actually go to where i fcking needed, and ya can't even ring up to give off because they stop answering the phones.

That sounds plausible actually.

Reminds me, I also thought it was funny how the Belfast - Bangor train line runs right past the City Airport but the nearest station (Sydenham?) is about half a mile away. Why the fuck didn't they just put an extra one at the airport? I know it's not that far but it's probably about a 5-10 minute walk (instead of taking about a minute) and it's a canny hike if you've got loads of luggage. I think they even had a shuttle bus running to the train station :lol:

Just now, Ant said:

lol i know, all they needed was another walking bridge over the top like it's fucking stupid, and there's no train that goes to the international at all, our transit system is beyond shite.

Belfast is the most congested city in the uk apparently 

Aye, there only seemed to be about 3 main routes into the city and if there was a crash or something on one of those in rush hour it was absolute bedlam. The International Airport feels like it's right out in the sticks as well. Think the problem is compounded by having nearly all the civil service centralised there too because Belfast city centre is seen as more politically / religious neutral than provincial towns / cities in Northern Ireland so you have even more commuters going to the capital than need be. Or at least that's what someone over there was telling me.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...