• 3 weeks later...

Well my first Uber experience was an interesting one. Been in Manchester for the weekend which included going to a old friend's 40th in Stockport, so decided it was as good a time as any to give Uber a try. The journey there was flawless - car was outside our hotel in the centre of Manc the minute I requested it. The driver was pleasant, chatty and courteous and I had a £10-off-your-first-journey thing going on so it cost me about £3.

Coming back? Sooooo... The driver was there within 5 minutes, pleasant when we got in the car, made a bit of small talk, gets onto the A6 into Manchester and decides to flee round the outside of this other car in order to cut inside him and get to a set of lights first. The other driver slams on his brakes and his horn, continuously for about 30 seconds, and then we carry on. Just before the next set of lights, this lunatic screeches his car diagonally in front of the taxi, stops, gets out of the car full of hell and opens our driver door screaming and swearing etc. Our driver repeatedly tells him to "get back in the car, dickhead" which doesn't go down well. They continue screaming at each other (one of them was a fucking c**t apparently) My 6-year-old is petrified and bursts into tears, our driver eventually gets back in the car saying "sorry about that" and continues along the way as if nothing had happened. The rest of the journey was uneventful.

It was..... an experience.

Yeah I've sent them feedback and am just waiting to hear back, apparently within 24hrs.

Saying all of the above, I do think it's a good service in principle - we were just unlucky.

Well my first Uber experience was an interesting one. Been in Manchester for the weekend which included going to a old friend's 40th in Stockport, so decided it was as good a time as any to give Uber a try. The journey there was flawless - car was outside our hotel in the centre of Manc the minute I requested it. The driver was pleasant, chatty and courteous and I had a £10-off-your-first-journey thing going on so it cost me about £3.

Coming back? Sooooo... The driver was there within 5 minutes, pleasant when we got in the car, made a bit of small talk, gets onto the A6 into Manchester and decides to flee round the outside of this other car in order to cut inside him and get to a set of lights first. The other driver slams on his brakes and his horn, continuously for about 30 seconds, and then we carry on. Just before the next set of lights, this lunatic screeches his car diagonally in front of the taxi, stops, gets out of the car full of hell and opens our driver door screaming and swearing etc. Our driver repeatedly tells him to "get back in the car, dickhead" which doesn't go down well. They continue screaming at each other (one of them was a fucking c**t apparently) My 6-year-old is petrified and bursts into tears, our driver eventually gets back in the car saying "sorry about that" and continues along the way as if nothing had happened. The rest of the journey was uneventful.

It was..... an experience.

Bloody hell...

I've seen taxi drivers arguing with people before but that sounds mental. Although I do think some people are just far too high strung on the roads - I mean, the other driver there should really have noticed your kid and toned it down.

Edited by Rayvin

I don't think he had the first clue that there was a child in the car - proper red-mist road-rage. I was shitting myself and convinced one of them was going to beat the shit out of the other so god knows what was going through the bairn's mind.

I've just had an e-mail back from Uber saying they're going to look straight into it.

I've been waiting for CT to come along and tell me that simply wouldn't happen in a 'normal' taxi ;)

I've given up biting ;)

They way you are all going on is like you have just moved from a 90's Motorola to an iPhone 6.

Guess you are either all nerds or have shitty local taxi companies.

And NO, it wouldn't have happened in my Taxi. :)

I've given up biting ;)

They way you are all going on is like you have just moved from a 90's Motorola to an iPhone 6.

Guess you are either all nerds or have shitty local taxi companies.

And NO, it wouldn't have happened in my Taxi. :)

Or discovered pasta sauce that doesn't come in a jar

• 2 weeks later...

Had the app on my phone for months with the intention of using it instead of a taxi next time I was stuck for transport home from town.

It only serves to remind me how little I stop out late these days that the £10 off my first ride is STILL waiting to be used.

Had the app on my phone for months with the intention of using it instead of a taxi next time I was stuck for transport home from town.

It only serves to remind me how little I stop out late these days that the £10 off my first ride is STILL waiting to be used.

East cost and priory seem canny for the coast though.

Gemmill mentioned that Uber probably isn't available in Tynemouth yet (and presumably cullercoats). How does this work then, can you get one from town to home but not vice versa? Cos I'm happy enough with the price and service leaving home but getting back tends to be a bigger fanny on so might sign up for my twice a year (if I'm lucky) big night out.