East cost and priory seem canny for the coast though.

Aye, would be horses for courses. Set fee from a local firm for a reasonably fast service to town or the airport. Uber for a quick pickup without walking to a rank for a ride home.

I just need to stop out later than half eleven one night to sample it :lol:

Used this for the first time last night to get back to our hotel from a bar the other side of San Francisco....briliinat service, driver was from Eritrea and was improbably called Mario :lol: The current Mrs PL suggested it, well tbh she insisted we use it as the hotel manager had scared the crap out of her when we told him where the bar was (on the edge of Tenderloin, which is apparently where you can get your loins "tendered" for a fee ;) )

I asked Mario what the difference between Ethiopia and Eritrea is, to which he replied "nothing, the split was caused by powerful men arguing about money" Which was succinct and to the point, please take note "worried of Boldon" :D

I didnt think the area where the bar is was that bad tbh, but we went a few blocks towards the hotel and it was like Harlem in the 1970s :lol:

We were here

http://www.thechieftain.com/beer-selection

It was a Sierra Nevada promo night. Its all to do with this http://www.sfbeerweek.org/ which is,am sure we'd all agree, a massive stroke of good fortune for us to have arrived right in the middle of :D

Edited by PaddockLad

Aye I dropped some stuff in at a homeless shelter there and Harlem in the 70s sounds about right. I've never felt whiter.

I remember the Chieftain. It was a big favourite with all the paddies at work.

That looks familiar, I think we went there for a drink when we stayed at a hotel nearby. There were loads of Hobos around but just put that down to it being a city in America.

• 3 months later...

I've started switching between these and LA taxis, who also have an app identical to Uber (including pay by card). Whenever Uber have got a price surge on, or don't have a car, I use LA.

Aye I dropped some stuff in at a homeless shelter there and Harlem in the 70s sounds about right. I've never felt whiter.

I remember the Chieftain. It was a big favourite with all the paddies at work.

I'm staying at the Axiom hotel on my work trip to SF next month. It was billed as downtown SF but on closer inspection it looks like it's in or on the fringes of the Tenderloin district. Should I be terrified?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=axiom+hotel+san+francisco&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fid=0x80858085ed0e16c3:0x7217ae1c698cdd9b&fpstate=lu:map

Nah you're fine there. You're right at the cable car starting point, and where the Apple shop is (or used to be, it might have moved) and you're only a couple of blocks from Union Square. You've done well.

You're bang in the middle of things in terms of being able to walk out your door and get your shop on.

• 7 months later...

"Even as Uber Technologies Inc. exited China, the company's financial loss has remained eye-popping. In the first nine months of this year, the ride-hailing company lost significantly more than $2.2 billion, according to a person familiar with the matter. In the third quarter, Uber lost more than $800 million, not including its Chinese operation.

At the same time, the company's revenue has continued to grow even after leaving the world's most populous country. Uber generated about $3.76 billion in net revenue in the first nine months of 2016 and is on track to exceed $5.5 billion this year, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the information is private."

Source: Bloomberg, 20th December 2016

:o

"Even as Uber Technologies Inc. exited China, the company's financial loss has remained eye-popping. In the first nine months of this year, the ride-hailing company lost significantly more than $2.2 billion, according to a person familiar with the matter. In the third quarter, Uber lost more than $800 million, not including its Chinese operation.

At the same time, the company's revenue has continued to grow even after leaving the world's most populous country. Uber generated about $3.76 billion in net revenue in the first nine months of 2016 and is on track to exceed $5.5 billion this year, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the information is private."

Source: Bloomberg, 20th December 2016

:o

Had to leave China as the drivers kept going to the Wong house.

• 8 months later...

Wonder what this will mean for the company

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/uber-stripped-of-its-licence-to-operate-in-london-a3641046.html

Uber has been sensationally stripped of its licence to operate on London’s streets.

Transport for London made the announcement today in a move that could trigger the removal of tens of thousands of its private-hire drivers from the capital.

Uber, the world’s largest taxi-hailing app, currently has more than 40,000 drivers in London. It said 3.5 million Londoners use the app.

The move is the latest in the regulator’s long-standing battle to deal with the increasing number of private hire cars on the capital’s streets.

Ahead of the announcement, Helen Chapman, TfL general manager of Taxi & Private Hire, said this week that the cost of regulation is rising due to a “huge” growth in the industry.

The licence is due to expire next Saturday, September 30. The firm has 21 days to appeal. However, it will be allowed to continue to operate during the legal process.

Just now, Rayvin said:

It'll be sorted. Sounds like an administrative issue rather than a penalty of some form.

No doubt it will continue, but it may see significantly fewer drivers on the streets, which will in turn surely see prices increase as demand outstrips supply?