Deconstructing the Ashley model

Makom

OK, so I think there's universal agreement that the Ashley model goes against everything that running a football club should be about on an emotional and sporting level. But I wonder how many people have actually realised that it also doesn't make much sense if the goal is simply to make money and promote SD?

1. Stability - as well as ability, the most stable clubs tend to have good team spirit and morale, something which only comes about with a settled squad all pulling for the same cause. Squads with regular turnover, where the best players are always up for grabs, with new entrants seeing the club as a stepping stone, will never have the necessary stability or morale to provide a reliable profit stream.

2. Squad depth - maintaining an artificially small number of decent footballers in your squad for balance sheet reasons threatens the profit stream because it cannot adequately cope with the unpredictable effects of injuries or suspensions on the team's form.

3. Player development - a team that is more often than not fighting for survival (because of 1. and 2.), and is never in the cups or Europe, probably has the least amount of opportunity for actually properly developing academy products for onward sale. And expecting them to get us out of the shit is probably the best way to ensure they don't make it into the first team, or have the sort of confidence or experience that would make them attractive to other clubs.

4. Advertising - apart from the latter stages of a relegation fight, it's generally the case that the better a club is doing in the PL, the more airtime it gets on Sky/BT. Clubs just bimbling along mid-table get the least amount of exposure for advertisers. And obviously if you're not in the cups or Europe, you won't get that airtime either.

5. Brand image - the longer a club has the reputation NUFC has now gained because of the way it's being run, the less likely individuals and corporate sponsors are to pump revenue in through the various corporate and commercial streams that are these days an integral part of every PL club

6. Prize money - while not as significant as the basic PL TV deal money, when taken together, the incremental prize money for each PL place plus the money on offer for progressing in the UEFA cup, is not exactly small change.

IMHO, a club of our size that only sold players when it was a no brainer, and maintained a squad capable of competing on all fronts, would easily generate the same amount of profit and advertising exposure that the current model does, if not more.

OK, so I think there's universal agreement that the Ashley model goes against everything that running a football club should be about on an emotional and sporting level. But I wonder how many people have actually realised that it also doesn't make much sense if the goal is simply to make money and promote SD?

1. Stability - as well as ability, the most stable clubs tend to have good team spirit and morale, something which only comes about with a settled squad all pulling for the same cause. Squads with regular turnover, where the best players are always up for grabs, with new entrants seeing the club as a stepping stone, will never have the necessary stability or morale to provide a reliable profit stream.

2. Squad depth - maintaining an artificially small number of decent footballers in your squad for balance sheet reasons threatens the profit stream because it cannot adequately cope with the unpredictable effects of injuries or suspensions on the team's form.

3. Player development - a team that is more often than not fighting for survival (because of 1. and 2.), and is never in the cups or Europe, probably has the least amount of opportunity for actually properly developing academy products for onward sale. And expecting them to get us out of the shit is probably the best way to ensure they don't make it into the first team, or have the sort of confidence or experience that would make them attractive to other clubs.

4. Advertising - apart from the latter stages of a relegation fight, it's generally the case that the better a club is doing in the PL, the more airtime it gets on Sky/BT. Clubs just bimbling along mid-table get the least amount of exposure for advertisers. And obviously if you're not in the cups or Europe, you won't get that airtime either.

5. Brand image - the longer a club has the reputation NUFC has now gained because of the way it's being run, the less likely individuals and corporate sponsors are to pump revenue in through the various corporate and commercial streams that are these days an integral part of every PL club

6. Prize money - while not as significant as the basic PL TV deal money, when taken together, the incremental prize money for each PL place plus the money on offer for progressing in the UEFA cup, is not exactly small change.

IMHO, a club of our size that only sold players when it was a no brainer, and maintained a squad capable of competing on all fronts, would easily generate the same amount of profit and advertising exposure that the current model does, if not more.

You are a sub editor's nightmare. You could have said all that in one succinct paragraph.

:lol:

Fuck Mako. You expect us to read this shit?

Most of us are too busy thinking up classy recipes for the 'what have you eaten?' thread to be bothered with this shit.

I had a coffee flavoured cracker by the way. And half a coffee. Spilt the rest. Was lush or whatever you pommy bastards say.

I'm not sure the "Ashley model" is so bad, its just awful when the owner has no interest in football.

being financially self sufficient and scouting promising european players for profit and club use is good. Ashleys got no balance tho, I'd be happy if we were selling on players but retaining a first eleven and perhaps that is possible with the club as it is today.

It's Ashley thats the problem, if only he'd stuck to his original vision rather than biting at the quick profit everytime,

The Ashley model is about 10 degrees off course; Employ a proper coach and everything comes together a lot more. Improve commercial revenue and club/fan relations and everything's rosy.

Think of it this way, Ronald Koeman in charge of this team would have Newcastle comfortably in the top half of the league, even without strengthening in January.

Can see poor old Ryan Taylor being let go as he's out of contract, however, equally, can see poor old Ryan Taylor staying on in a take it or leave it, reduced new contract if we go down similar to Peter LovelyHands when we went down last time. Williamson will be our centre half next year too if we go down.

You are a sub editor's nightmare. You could have said all that in one succinct paragraph.

I could have said it in one line, but that would hardly be conducive to further discussion would it?

I could have said it in one line, but that would hardly be conducive to further discussion would it?

look at the replies you've attracted. an essay-style bore-fest isn't exactly conducive for serious debate is it? which is what i assume you were shooting for.

look at the replies you've attracted. an essay-style bore-fest isn't exactly conducive for serious debate is it? which is what i assume you were shooting for.

That's an essay to you? It was a few paragraphs. It wouldn't take a competent reader more than 30 seconds to read, if that.