Making your own luck

Makom

OK, so this is the new philosophy from now on, according to Ashley. Shouldn't we infer then that there will be an announcement about the manager's position by the end of next week? So that whoever it is can get on with assessing this shithouse of a squad and set about identifying the targets to spend all the money we will supposedly be receiving this summer?

:lol: @ the whole thread so far.

@ - I reckon that given Carver gave Ashley an 'ultimatum', it'll have to be wrapped up pretty soon. It's not going to be Carver though, that much is clear.

My point is, this is a pretty early test for Ashley's supposed new dawn - a club making its own luck won't be hanging around to appoint the next manager. I suspect that we will simply waste most of the summer fannying around, as we supposedly chase whichever candidate Lee Ryder says we're after, before we finally end up with McLaren just because he's cheap, desperate, and nobody else wants the fucker, proving conclusively that there was nothing behind Ashley's comment, and it's just business as usual.

I expect for the next few weeks Charnley will be busy drawing up his shortlist. This will involve him sitting at his desk, sharpening pencils, organising his pens and ruler, wringing his hands, repeatedly furrowing his brow and sticking his tongue out of his greasy lips. After several weeks of this he will have a shortlist of 3 or 4 candidates who are not available and then he can get on with not making any fucking decision at all.

Instead of comedy and bravado, my Twitter accounts fall under moribund and charmless

No point in pretending to be something you're not

i was referring to the comedy twitter account :P

congratulations for calling it by the way and sticking to your guns right to the end - even in the face of mass ridicule on here. i honestly thought we were down. i hope you're right about the manager situation as well. do you reckon ashley's interview backs up your view that he will get someone like garde?

it is encouraging that he finally spoke out and that his words were mostly positive but i can't help but remain sceptical about his intentions and fearful that he'll revert to type where by we end up with another manager no one wants.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i was referring to the comedy twitter account :P

congratulations for calling it by the way and sticking to your guns right to the end - even in the face of mass ridicule on here. i honestly thought we were down. i hope you're right about the manager situation as well. do you reckon ashley's interview backs up your view that he will get someone like garde?

it is encouraging that he finally spoke out and that his words were mostly positive but i can't help but remain sceptical about his intentions and fearful that he'll revert to type where by we end up with another manager no one wants.

I still think the ridicule could have been ratcheted up a notch, so he could completely bask in his "I told you so".

While Ashley’s first interview has been dismissed as a cynical public relations exercise by many on Tyneside, which has done little to pacify the militant opposition towards him, Newcastle do intend to change direction this summer.

The club will release a new set of mission statements in the next few weeks and will no longer limit themselves to aiming for a top-10 finish. There will be a softening of the language used to try to reconnect with the club’s passionate fan base and a further acknowledgement of the mistakes made over the past couple of years.

Although Ashley’s sudden willingness to speak in public – a decision made on the advice of PR guru Keith Bishop, who felt the best way to end the protests against him was to declare he had no intention of selling the club – was part of that fresh approach and should be welcomed, supporters want proof things have changed.

The breakdown in trust between those who run the club and follow it was not healed by a 2½-minute television interview with a journalist who is also a client of Bishop PR, but it was a step in the right direction. ­Ashley’s insistence that he will not sell will not end the opposition to him, but significant investment in the squad this summer will start to ease the bitterness.

from luke edwards' latest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11629234/Newcastle-cancer-survivor-Jonas-Gutierrez-fears-he-has-played-last-game-for-club.html

do you reckon ashley's interview backs up your view that he will get someone like garde?

No idea, if I'm honest, that interview seemed ill-planned. He didn't seem like he'd come with a "message" just a few kernels of ideas. If we'd gone down, I'd expect to see someone better than Carver, but nowhere near the likes of Garde, Galtier etc.

That we've stayed up might mean we've got more chips to gamble with, but I can't see him breaking the bank to employ a coach from the top table (rumours of Ancelotti or Rodgers ffs :lol: ).

That interview might be proven to be more lies from him, but it may genuinely be a slight change in approach. We will not see hundreds of millions spent on players, but maybe more than previously? Or just different kinds of players (players for now, rather than with a sell-on value? I still think if we sign another Cabaye we won't stand between them and a bigger club, but maybe that won't be the motivating factor in signing them?

I still think the ridicule could have been ratcheted up a notch, so he could completely bask in his "I told you so".

I would never bask.

I'd burn like a ginger!

the mission statement line sounds about right tbf. i can see some more nonsense along those lines being spouted at some point. whether any of it translates into a meaningful change in approach remains to be seen.

Edited by Dr Gloom

It all just sounds like a PR excersise to me. They're not actually interested in doing better just looking like they want to do better.

An appointment of a new head coach by the end of next week would be a step in the right direction but the appointment of Carver would just prove that it's a waste of time listening to anything that comes out the club.