Metal Detecting:NSFW. Contains images of boobs and dirt holes, as well as pigeon corpses.

Christmas Tree

Lovely day out today rummaging in the earth. Some pesky newcomer got the star coin. (Silver 1300's).

But I did get an old penny and a sixpence, not to mention glorious peace and quiet.

b6b09442a61f47f1fff35f9751c95062.jpg

How much rummaging/digging/detecting did you have to do to find this coin, that was perfectly placed on top of the ground?

How often to people get really excited as they close in on something only to realise its someone elses metal detector?

How often to people get really excited as they close in on something only to realise its someone elses metal detector?

Never happens. Massive fields and people just wander off to be at one with nature.

Unless someone is stupid enough to loudly celebrate a good find in which case grown men gallop, spade and detector doing helicopters as they home in to find the rest of the hoard.

Never happens. Massive fields and people just wander off to be at one with nature.

Unless someone is stupid enough to loudly celebrate a good find in which case grown men gallop, spade and detector doing helicopters as they home in to find the rest of the hoard.

You mean "fondle a stoat" don't you?

The whole thing is very Tory isn't it

Middle aged white men, moping about on their own, trying to inherit someone else's wealth, and wanting to keep the whole thing to themselves.

with a seedy undercurrent of sexual deviancy just waiting to bubble up to the surface.

Hey CT, if you're half as interested in this lark as you seem to be, you should be able to answer this question.

Are the odds of you hitting the jackpot while cow-bothering more or less than if you just went on a very long walk through the countryside to buy a lottery ticket?

It's a delightful hobby as it happens. Beautiful countryside, brothers in arms and wild animals.

And there's the history. Most finds are worth little but very interesting to find stuff from hundreds or a thousand years ago.

You only have to look at the popularity of stuff like Time Team.

Once again I'm breaking new ground and you will thank me one day.

It's a delightful hobby as it happens. Beautiful countryside, brothers in arms and wild animals.

And there's the history. Most finds are worth little but very interesting to find stuff from hundreds or a thousand years ago.

You only have to look at the popularity of stuff like Time Team.

Once again I'm breaking new ground and you will thank me one day.

How much did your equipment cost, CT? (Obviously including all the extras you'll have bought such as camouflage clothing, metal detecting guidebooks, etc).

It's just that I've got a few Roman coins around 16-1700 years old and I'm guessing I got them easier and cheaper than anything you've found so far considering what you will have spent on petrol and gear. (Hands up, though, I never got to bother some cows getting them so I'll give you that one).