Apple Music

ChezGiven

• 3 weeks later...

Went through all the setting up where you're asked to select artists you like and struggled to find three that I did. Then decided to try out a few of the genre channels. The first two songs on the classic hip hop channel were Eve feat. Gwen Stefani and Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland. Now exactly what I think of when I imagine classic hip hop.

Dont see the benefit of this over Spotify. I like Apple but not someone who has to have everything they do, unless they bring in features Spotify doesnt that I "must" have.

I was just reading up on Tidal as well, which does a FLAC subscription for 20 a month. It's owned by JayZ though, who has given shares to all of his (already rich) mates, and the 320kbps version is the same price as Spotify, but lacks functionality.

Think I'll be sticking with Spotify too unless I'm blown away by a free trial on this Apple thing.

I signed up for the free trial last night. I'll give it a go but I listen to a lot of my music whilst on my PC and having to use Apple Music through iTunes could be a problem because iTunes is a fucking atrocious piece of software. So far so good though.

Different markets. Spotify is for people who don't pay for music on the whole whereas the Apple music store has paying download customers as its core. This service will transfer all the people who spent anything from 30 to 50 plus per year in downloads thinking 120 gets me access to everything. The difference between Apple and everyone else is the ease of use and integration into all your devices. I think Apple will have a massive amount of paying subscribers within the year. If 120 million iTunes users subscribe that will mean more revenue than the entire global music industry as of today. I think they will do it, maybe not within 12 months but eventually.

Downside though is that I hate iTunes with a passion and if Apple Music suggested I connected to iTunes even once I'd toe punt my phone down the street. Its fine for buying music over the phone, but shockingly bloated and cumbersome when you need to add/remove music.

I'll update and try Applemusic and it may win me over, but it will need to offer more than I get from Spotify. Disagree with your different markets thing as well when I'll be paying the same for either?

Aye different markets is not really true, I meant different segments and of course Apple will want to attract over Spotify customers but in the business plan, the one they based their investment on, there will be no spotify customers in that calculation. It's all about converting download purchasers from the store into subscribers. I'm more of a shareholder than a fanboy to be fair too.

I don't understand why iTunes is so resource hungry on PC. It's fucking mental how long it takes to get up and running and how much of a drag it puts on your machine. I'm not running a shitty computer either, I've never come across a PC that it runs well on though.

I don't understand why iTunes is so resource hungry on PC. It's fucking mental how long it takes to get up and running and how much of a drag it puts on your machine. I'm not running a shitty computer either, I've never come across a PC that it runs well on though.

That was a major reason behind switching to Spotify for me.

So, what other online sources are there that are actually any good. I use Spotify a bit. but don't actually listen to much music nowadays and gave up creating cheesy dance music in 2012.

Itunes still has the best looking front end, detailed tagging and smartest playlist generator. I use that on my home PC for organising my collection.

I use plex for accessing my entire music collection and all my Itunes playlists over the cloud (phone & work PC)

I use spotify (free) for new albums, creating playlists as reminders of what I like or not for obtaining.

I use Google Play Music to transfer albums I like from the current year or so to my phone for offline listening.

I use Player FM for podcasts which has a web based front end and allows sync between my phone, tablet, home and work PC.

You could do all that in Apple Music if your work pc had iTunes I think. Plus you could transfer new albums to listen to them in full and download them for offline listening. I guess the way you do it costs nothing though rather than a tenner a month. I'm happy to pay the tenner for unlimited downloading of new albums and the fact that it's integrated through the cloud on everything. Apart from my work pc obviously.

Look forward to testing it out in the fall.

I don't like paying a subscription though. Maybe old fashioned and only 3 pints a month but paying £120 a year and not physically owning any music I've bought still doesn't sit right with me.

Do iTunes still protect downloads or are they transferable?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201267

Sounds like it's restricted to iOS or iTunes.

Suppose that means you have to use Apple TV to steam through a TV rather than plex or play or vlc or any of the other software not locked into devices which let you use chromecast or Amazon fire etc.

Also means you lose your entire collection if they go the same way as MySpace?

Christ, I just downloaded iTunes and gave up trying to switch countries after 5+ attempts. Honestly the worst UI experience in recent memory.

Thanks for a timely reminder of why I steer clear of Apple. Was just thinking about switching to iPhone for my next phone.

iTunes 12.2 is a disaster. The Apple Music features are confusing at best; the way iTunes Match and Apple Music work together is problematic ; and, worst of all, many users are finding that it destroys music libraries.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2943723/why-you-might-not-want-to-upgrade-to-itunes-12-2.html

Wish I read this before installing :(

Not surprised to see everyone shitting on iTunes. It is the single worst piece of software I've even dealt with. Coming from a company that is well known for quality software it's very strange.

Chez, are these issues on the agenda for Apple's next board meeting? Something needs to be done.

Got the 3 month free trial, played about with it a bit. Gave up, cancelled the automatic renewal and I've just returned to Spotify and my existing media doohickeys.

I'm sure the Jobs will be spinning in his grave at the loss of my custom, but I'm my own man.

Look forward to testing it out in the fall.

I don't like paying a subscription though. Maybe old fashioned and only 3 pints a month but paying £120 a year and not physically owning any music I've bought still doesn't sit right with me.

Aye, that's my problem. If they update it in a couple of years and make it really shit then I still have to continue my subscription or lose the music I've 'collected' over those years.

And 'the fall'? WTF?

Aye, that's my problem. If they update it in a couple of years and make it really shit then I still have to continue my subscription or lose the music I've 'collected' over those years.

And 'the fall'? WTF?

Apple site says android version due in 'the fall' so I went with them on it.