Carver/Stone sacked

Kid Dynamite

Newcastle asked Carver and Stone to sack each other

Despite the cruel nature of their departures, neither man holds any grudge, explains Back of the Net...
It has emerged that Newcastle United caretaker manager John Carver was informed of his dismissal over the phone by coach Steve Stone, who was then informed of his dismissal by John Carver.
Carver heroically managed to lead Newcastle to success in a relegation dogfight – an achievement that looked improbable under Alan Pardew – but he didn’t always enjoy the best of relationships with supporters.
Fans stood against Carver for his apparent tactical naivety, poor selection decisions, oddly crumpled face and angry rants against fans, who he would then force to have tea with him.
But few will have agreed with the way in which Carver’s dismissal was dealt with by Newcastle.
Carver was instructed to call first-team coach Stone to inform him of his sacking, while Stone was entrusted with the task of telling Carver he had been relieved of his duties.
“It was the toughest phone call I’ve ever had to make, mostly because we kept talking over each other,” Carver told FourFourTwo.
“I started off trying to thank him for all his service to the club, but he was too busy stating how much he appreciated my efforts over a tough period.
“In the end we both agreed it was with deep regret that we couldn’t allow each other to continue on this journey with Newcastle United.”
“For a while after we hung up I was a bit angry with John for firing me,” Stone told FourFourTwo.
“But in the end his first loyalty is to Newcastle United and I know that. Plus, he had every right to be a little irked at me for sacking him, but then he must realise that I have to put Newcastle United first.”
A Newcastle insider has hinted that the club regrets the manner of Carver and Stone’s dismissals and that Steve McClaren will be informed of his sacking in the more traditional manner of a fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

"If you look back at the managers of Newcastle United, you have had two (in modern history) who have been successful: Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson.

They didnt win anything, but they bought some good times to the football club.

Weve had some massive personalities and characters in chargeKenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sam Allardyce but they have found it difficult to cope with what goes on. Newcastle Uniteds a goldfish bowl, you have to deal with that and everything that goes on, Steve McClarens finding this out.

At least now the club seems to be united. When I was doing it the fans were against the owner, they were against the team, they were against me. They were against everyone but now they seem to be right behind the football club.

Which is good because the owner has put his money into the football club, he has done his talking with putting his hand in his pocket. Now the team needs to deliver.

Spending £50million is the start of it and that will continue, he will spend his money. He is a good guy and will spend his money, as long as the fans are behind the team they will be successful. Theyll get out of the situation theyre in.

They need to get into the top ten and top eight was the target, I think that is beyond them but as long as they get top 10 they will be happy.

When is this cunt going to disappear from sight and sound? :jesuswept: