Christopher Lee and Ron Moody

The Fish

Definitely BS. One recounting has it that he was with the LRDG first in Africa, then after the invasion of Europe joined the SOE on sabotage missions of the retreating Nazi forces, which is really hard to believe if these were just attachments from his main job in RAF intelligence. Not only is there not really any need for these to be just temporary attachments - if he genuinely had something to add to these missions he would have been taken on by these units permanently, as it was certainly more vital than any work he might have bee doing for the RAF, and they weren't exactly doing the sort of work you could just temp at. The biggest red flag is this claim that he can't talk about any of his missions even now, because of the Official Secrets Act - there's been entire books written on the activities of the LRDG, including plenty of first hand accounts, precisely because they were the forerunner to the SAS, and none of their work was all that secret (nothing the SAS in that era would have been once the war was over), as it was mainly just running around the desert blowing shit up. The SOE less so, as their work was actually officially secret given they were classified as spies, but even their activities have been related extensively in recent years, even with first hand accounts. He's clearly trying it on - it's always the best kind of secrecy, the one that lets you tell everyone you meet you were in the special forces and did spy missions, but can't give them any details.

Have you always been a trolling cunt?

Just asking.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mako can be found on weekends at Tynemouth Longsands, punching the waves as they come in.

:lol:

RIP Lee and Moody. I watched Oliver a lot as a kid and Fagin was one of the most memorable characters, surprised to hear he just died because he seemed old even in that movie, I assume it was just the make up like.

Lee was clearly a legend, didn't know he led a life like that mind! Special forces and then getting to play Villains in a ton of films, what a life.

He's trying it on. The SAS weren't a secret organisation during the war, it was just an Army unit given carte blanche to organise itself and is missions how it saw fit. It's a shame he supposedly wasn't allowed to talk about the true nature of whatever these attachments were, because it would be interesting indeed to know what the SOE (an actual secret outfit which had nothing to do with the military and was certainly nothing to do with the SAS or its ancestors, and I'm pretty sure never even did anything in the desert) or even the LRDG (an army unit which was an ancestor to the SAS but which raided behind enemy lines in the desert without any air support) would have even needed an RAF intelligence person. The only way that quote makes sense, is if you completely disregard the bits about the SOE or LRDG - he may have had some contact with the SAS during the invasion of Italy, but that's hardly amazing, by then they they'd been expanded and brought back into the main structure of the regular forces, being used as Commandos as the lead element of the invasion, more like the Marines would be today - in which case they might have had use for an RAF liason.

Definitely BS. One recounting has it that he was with the LRDG first in Africa, then after the invasion of Europe joined the SOE on sabotage missions of the retreating Nazi forces, which is really hard to believe if these were just attachments from his main job in RAF intelligence. Not only is there not really any need for these to be just temporary attachments - if he genuinely had something to add to these missions he would have been taken on by these units permanently, as it was certainly more vital than any work he might have bee doing for the RAF, and they weren't exactly doing the sort of work you could just temp at. The biggest red flag is this claim that he can't talk about any of his missions even now, because of the Official Secrets Act - there's been entire books written on the activities of the LRDG, including plenty of first hand accounts, precisely because they were the forerunner to the SAS, and none of their work was all that secret (nothing the SAS in that era would have been once the war was over), as it was mainly just running around the desert blowing shit up. The SOE less so, as their work was actually officially secret given they were classified as spies, but even their activities have been related extensively in recent years, even with first hand accounts. He's clearly trying it on - it's always the best kind of secrecy, the one that lets you tell everyone you meet you were in the special forces and did spy missions, but can't give them any details.

http://forces.tv/60797077#uYqiRD3FvMmbgHAi.01

Um, where'd you think I found the narrative for the second post? forces.tv knows as much about this issue as anyone else. And what does it matter that he just died? Some of you know him personally? Or worried his friends and family might be reading? Like he said, read into it what you will, so I did. I can't think of any reason why he'd not talk about it, since it's not secret, not even remotely.

Um, where'd you think I found the narrative for the second post? forces.tv knows as much about this issue as anyone else. And what does it matter that he just died? Some of you know him personally? Or worried his friends and family might be reading? Like he said, read into it what you will, so I did. I can't think of any reason why he'd not talk about it, since it's not secret, not even remotely.

Didn't you say Tim Krul probably reads these forums or was that some other knacker?

Must have missed all the posts you wrote on the subject before his passing...

He's trying it on. Definitely BS

Forces tv disagree. I know who my money would be on....

I imagine he was of the old school when it comes what happened when he signed he official secrets act. In other words he kept things secret. And he was probably asked about it quite often during interviews in a 60+ year film career.

I imagine he was of the old school when it comes what happened when he signed he official secrets act. In other words he kept things secret. And he was probably asked about it quite often during interviews in a 60+ year film career.

Aye, Walter Mitty's tend to be hounded out if they're lonely fat blokes joining into parades let alone a world renowned actor and especially if they're claiming to be part of a SF group due to the obviously small community. If he was a liar he'd have been exposed as one well before now, and probably by someone more credible than Mako.

When pressed by an eager interviewer on his SAS past, he leaned forward and whispered: “Can you keep a secret?”

“Yes!” the interviewer replied, breathless with excitement.

“So can I.” replied a smiling Lee, sitting back in his chair.

What a fucking cheb this Mako troll is.

Must have missed all the posts you wrote on the subject before his passing...

First I'd heard of it was in here. Unsurprisingly, his name has never come up whenever I've read stuff about the LRDG, or the SAS, or even in any of the recent stories about the SOE. Still, if forces.tv say it happened, then it clearly happened, because, like, well, it's forces.tv, and they would know!

Aye, Walter Mitty's tend to be hounded out if they're lonely fat blokes joining into parades let alone a world renowned actor and especially if they're claiming to be part of a SF group due to the obviously small community. If he was a liar he'd have been exposed as one well before now, and probably by someone more credible than Mako.

As this thread shows, nobody would have anything to gain by claiming he's a liar - he's a national treasure, that's a big no no.

SOE agents rarely even knew who else was working on their own missions, so the idea that anyone would be able to discredit that through simple personal knowledge of who was in it, is laughable.

He could have been in the LRDG/SAS, or he could have been attached to it as RAF int, or he could have just been on the same planes that ferried them around when not on operations. Since he's deliberately vague about what he was actually doing with them, then understandably nobody who would know every single person who was it at any one time (if we're really to assume that's possible, which I don't) would feel like even commenting on it. It's not like he's taking credit for being any part of any specific operation, is it? Which is of course what every other person in the LRDG or early SAS has done - precisely because it's not a secret.

Mako hadn't heard of SCL's SOE service, because SCL was reluctant to talk about it, therefore SCL is a liar.

:lol: priceless.

I've read a lot about this subject, so I would have expected to have seen his name being mentioned, even if it was just in passing because, like, he can't talk about his missions because of the Official Secrets Act, so it can't be mentioned in this book or news story about this other SOE agent, whose telling us all about their missions.....come on man.

As this thread shows, nobody would have anything to gain by claiming he's a liar - he's a national treasure, that's a big no no.

SOE agents rarely even knew who else was working on their own missions, so the idea that anyone would be able to discredit that through simple personal knowledge of who was in it, is laughable.

He could have been in the LRDG/SAS, or he could have been attached to it as RAF int, or he could have just been on the same planes that ferried them around when not on operations. Since he's deliberately vague about what he was actually doing with them, then understandably nobody who would know every single person who was it at any one time (if we're really to assume that's possible, which I don't) would feel like even commenting on it. It's not like he's taking credit for being any part of any specific operation, is it? Which is of course what every other person in the LRDG or early SAS has done - precisely because it's not a secret.

They'd have no more to gain than outing the normal walter mitty, which is to show up a bloke who's falsely claiming valor which guys that show up these types rightfully see as an insult to those who have served. Many of the lads who will have talked about their service in books and the like no doubt needed money a lot more than Lee so he's simply seeking to keep the secret on his end.

I think it seems likely he was put on missions with them as Intelligence, and perhaps he's not mentioned much in books etc because Special forces lads tend to respect each others privacy and while they're happy to detail their own involvement rarely go round spouting off about each other (unless of course that person is involved as well/said it was fine). I'm not sure why you're so eager to have a pop at a blokes service record despite having no evidence at all to dispute it short of you've not seen him mentioned in books you've read.

You've got no evidence either, that's what's hilarious about this whole thing. Him saying he was in (or attached to) the SAS and SOE appears to be the only evidence out there that it even happened. That's what peaked my interest, because its rare to find so little information about the war record of someone who served in these units and then later became famous. You can respect someone's privacy while still saying you were serving in unit X, Y, Z at the same time as Lee (since he's not taking the view that this is such an issue of privacy or 'official secrecy' he doesn't want anyone to even know he was in these units), and indeed I've seen plenty of such mentions. Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure the official text in the official secrets act is that even saying you were in the SOE is a violation of it - just as you wouldn't today be able to say, yes, I was in MI5, I just can't tell you what I did.

First I'd heard of it was in here. Unsurprisingly, his name has never come up whenever I've read stuff about the LRDG, or the SAS, or even in any of the recent stories about the SOE. Still, if forces.tv say it happened, then it clearly happened, because, like, well, it's forces.tv, and they would know!

:lol: what a fucking desperate troll you are

You've got no evidence either, that's what's hilarious about this whole thing. Him saying he was in (or attached to) the SAS and SOE appears to be the only evidence out there that it even happened. That's what peaked my interest, because its rare to find so little information about the war record of someone who served in these units and then later became famous. You can respect someone's privacy while still saying you were serving in unit X, Y, Z at the same time as Lee (since he's not taking the view that this is such an issue of privacy or 'official secrecy' he doesn't want anyone to even know he was in these units), and indeed I've seen plenty of such mentions. Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure the official text in the official secrets act is that even saying you were in the SOE is a violation of it - just as you wouldn't today be able to say, yes, I was in MI5, I just can't tell you what I did.

No I don't but I'm not the one trying to prove something here, I'm also trusting that after having a 60 odd year film career where he has seemingly been questioned many times by interviewers about his SF past someone would have come out and exposed him, even if it was on a military forum, they even have whole sections of forums about exposing walter mitty's. If you're so arsed why don't you look into Lee's military service properly yourself? It seems like you want too.

No I don't but I'm not the one trying to prove something here, I'm also trusting that after having a 60 odd year film career where he has seemingly been questioned many times by interviewers about his SF past someone would have come out and exposed him, even if it was on a military forum, they even have whole sections of forums about exposing walter mitty's. If you're so arsed why don't you look into Lee's military service properly yourself? It seems like you want too.

How would I go about looking into it, if it's supposedly still classified? I don't think I'd learn anything from a military forum that I don't already know about what's out there to independently verify these claims (or isn't), which is kind of the point.....