Christopher Lee and Ron Moody

The Fish

You've got no evidence either, that's what's hilarious about this whole thing. Him saying he was in (or attached to) the SAS and SOE appears to be the only evidence out there that it even happened. That's what peaked my interest, because its rare to find so little information about the war record of someone who served in these units and then later became famous. You can respect someone's privacy while still saying you were serving in unit X, Y, Z at the same time as Lee (since he's not taking the view that this is such an issue of privacy or 'official secrecy' he doesn't want anyone to even know he was in these units), and indeed I've seen plenty of such mentions. Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure the official text in the official secrets act is that even saying you were in the SOE is a violation of it - just as you wouldn't today be able to say, yes, I was in MI5, I just can't tell you what I did.

The word you're looking for is piqued, dickhead.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I go about looking into it, if it's supposedly still classified? I don't think I'd learn anything from a military forum that I don't already know about what's out there to independently verify these claims (or isn't), which is kind of the point.....

That's up to you since you're the one questioning it.

I really don't need to look to know the likely truth of this. A good sign there's no verification out there is the Wikipedia biography. It's incredibly detailed regarding all his non-secret service, giving an almost month by month account, so obviously historians/biographers have written about it at length, yet there's no independent verification for the SAS/SOE claims. As bad as Wikipedia is on other stuff, they absolutely love to write about military history. So you can pretty much take it as read that when all they have to say on the issue is that the person themselves simply used to say that's what they did, you know there's nobody out there at all who has verified it. The only conclusion can be that either every single person who knows Lee was ever attached to the SAS or SOE has decided to stay schtum and nobody else has found a single shred of evidence to say what he did or even that he did, or he just made it up or is otherwise sexing up what might have been a very trivlal/minor role - attached to the SOE for example could mean he was simply sitting behind a radio set in London, just like attached to the LRDG can simply mean his squadron was ferrying them around.

Wolfyesque this prick. :lol:

" I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so it doesn't exist."

( Also, he's accidentally outed himself as a proper weekend warrior. :lol: CT could do with some camo tips, Makom)

Right, just to satisfy you twats, I've just checked the most well known army forum. There's only a 4 page RIP thread on Lee, and barely any of it talks about his army service, and most of what is said on it is no different than I've said - impressive, if true. And they appear to know as much about that as anyone else it seems. The only evidence offered up that he was anything to do with special operations is funnily enough the sort of third hand anecdotal stuff that simply casts him as someone who was quite fond of having people believe it was true, without actually talking about it in enough detail for anyone to be able to verify if it happened. He was apparently a keen collector of military insignia in later life, which is not normally something that interest the people who actually lived it. He was even said to be friends with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Peniakoff in later life, who is someone who was also coy about his wartime exploits (but which at least appear to be far more known about than Lee's) - and yet even he appears to have over-egged the pudding by claiming to have done things he arguably never did based on what's actually known (that's according to the society dedicated to venerating him btw). So, if Lee was a stand up official secrets kind of guy, would he have been friends with someone like that? Or is it not more likely that these two were kindred spirits, and rather liked people thinking they'd done things they perhaps never did.

Wolfyesque this prick. :lol:

" I haven't seen it with my own eyes, so it doesn't exist."

( Also, he's accidentally outed himself as a proper weekend warrior. :lol: CT could do with some camo tips, Makom)

I don't need to see it to believe it, I just need to hear it from someone who knows it actually happened other than the person who claims it happened.

I'd have made a good copper really.

You're a cunt.

Everybody but you thinks that.

Change the record, you've been calling me a cunt ever since I said whatever it was I said about Scots that got your panties in a twist. You just tediously turn up and repeat it wherever I happen to be posting, like, well, like a typical Scottish cunt if I'm being honest.

My username says different.....if it doesn't bother you, change it back. I'm pretty certain you were the one who changed it - the only other admin here is Ant, and I remember him because he's the Irish guy who wanted to fight me after I said something about gypsies. It's how I tell you two apart, he's the fighter, you're the comedian.

Edited by Makom

I really don't care. I'd rather have the ghost of Fop posting or Thompers, or even The Fish (Comedy Account).

And I'd rather people didn't fuck with my username for no good reason and then claim they don't care about it, but shit happens.

But yes, it would be a travesty to lock the thread just because certain people can't get a grip of themselves and allow what was almost a sensible conversation about Lee's special forces record break out, and instead simply pollute the thread with mindless insults.

My suggestion would be to simply delete all posts up to and including my original one, since it's pretty obvious nobody here cares about that issue either way, and I'll simply not post in it again.

I'm sure I've encountered Mako's *skeptical cat* face before...

From the panorama peeps:

http://electionforecast.co.uk/tables/predicted_vote_by_seat.html

For my seat, Newcastle Central, they're predicting a 10% increase in Labour's vote to hold the seat, no change in the Tory vote but seeing them come a distant 2nd, the Lib Dem's crashing from 2nd to 3rd (24% to 7%), and only a 25% increase in the Nazi vote (assuming all the BNP scum transfer to UKIP) which sees them tied for 4th with the same as the Greens, who will supposedly rocket from 1.7% to 7%

For those of you with local knowledge, this is for the seat which covers Benwell and Scotswood, Blakelaw, Elswick, Fenham, Kenton, Westgate, West Gosforth and Wingrove wards, so I think you can probably realise why I'm currently making *skeptical cat* face.

They seem to be claiming that the only major change in this seat will be a shift of voters from the Lib Dems to Labour and the Greens, at a ratio of roughly 2 to Labour for every 1 to Green. Doesn't seem likely to me, not in a seat which has its fair share of affluent voters, who surely can't be blind to the fact that in this seat, if they didn't want a Labour/SNP government because they're worried about their economic competence or what price the SNP would extract for support, they'd need to stick with the Lib Dems and hope for another ConDem coalition. Indeed, if this turns out to be one of those seats where it's speculated lots of disaffected Labour supporters unhappy because of immigration are about to turn to UKIP, you could even see a Tory getting in here, if enough Lib Dems switch and others desert them to Greens.

Oh yes, that was it. :D

Whatever. There's been more fake outrage in this RIP thread for this much loved actor, which now also contains a pic of a cat's balls, than there was in the RIP thread on the army forum, where the suggestion that his record may not be all that wasn't greeted with much surprise at all. I guess that's the difference though, different readers, different expectations of reality. But even so, unless some of you are actually Lee's secret love children, then quite clearly you've gone way over the top this time with your own little desperate fixations on me. Like I said, the fastest way to restore this thread to some kind of dignity would be to roll it right back - but what a shocker that that doesn't seem to be being considered.