Stone Cold Charlie Austin

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: I fully expect this to be another that can't cross the line then, no doubt Charnley will sit sweating thinking about how 10m is utterly absurd never mind 15m and QPR will sell him to someone else for 12m.

Aye. I could picture Charnley on the phone to the selling team talking bollocks like this.

2qmn88z.jpg

:lol: Definately, McClaren going "A word Lee?.... erm what the fuck are you doing in there?"

"Ermm... well... it's Mike's technique isn't it"

"Excuse me Mr McClaren, Mr Charnley... it seems as if West Brom have decided to outbid you and since they are willing to y'know actually budge and come to an agreement we've went with their offer."

"Fucking hell Lee"

"It's okay Steve... I'll get Ryder on the blower he'll write a story about how the club tried to buy Ronaldo 15 year ago to show how big we are"

"Fuck right off Penfold"

"Can we at least be reimbursed for the trip down here Mr Fernandes?"

• 1 month later...

I was worried about how many of his goals come from penalties (given we are never awarded any); only 3 of his 18 came from Penalties. (8 from open play, 6 from set pieces, 1 on the counter)

Very right footed.

Someone mentioned that 10 of his 18 league goals last year were penalties. 8 goals from open play is only 1 more than Perez managed in the league :\

:scratchchin:

Not worth paying 8+ million for a player with one year on his contract left and from a team who are in need of the money in a lower league than us. His worth to qpr will dwindle as I think they'll be desperate to sell so we should just wait it out .

His value might drop towards the end of the window, but as it does, the number of clubs interested will increase. Especially the mid-to bottom clubs looking for a striker who's a decent bet to get 15 goals this season. If we are interested we need to time it right or we'll risk losing him to Norwich, or the like.

The Metro are apparently reporting he'll sign this week. I don't know if they're at all reliable like. I think I'd rather see another defender in first if I'm honest. I always get the impression it's easier for a striker to come in and get settled than it is a defender. Especially if the defender is coming from a different league.

The Metro are apparently reporting he'll sign this week. I don't know if they're at all reliable like. I think I'd rather see another defender in first if I'm honest. I always get the impression it's easier for a striker to come in and get settled than it is a defender. Especially if the defender is coming from a different league.

It's owned by the Mail. I think they've a decent recent record with reporting our signings (The Daily Mail that is).

It's owned by the Mail. I think they've a decent recent record with reporting our signings (The Daily Mail that is).

Aye I've seen the Mail is the other paper that's reporting the same thing. That Craig Hope seems to have been quite sharp latley with stuff about us.

You including Mbemba?

I'd like a proper leader at the back and while Janmaat was given the captain's armband recently, I'd be surprised if he gets it full time and don't see him organising the back beyond pointing and shouting.

You including Mbemba?

I'd like a proper leader at the back and while Janmaat was given the captain's armband recently, I'd be surprised if he gets it full time and don't see him organising the back beyond pointing and shouting.

Yeah I mean in addition to Mbemba. I think Janmaat would be quite a good captain but I agree I'd like to see a real leader there. Our transfer policy makes that unlikely though. It's difficult to have a ready made leader at the back who's under 25.

Yeah I mean in addition to Mbemba. I think Janmaat would be quite a good captain but I agree I'd like to see a real leader there. Our transfer policy makes that unlikely though. It's difficult to have a ready made leader at the back who's under 25.

Good point.

Hoping we sign someone in addition to Mbemba for the back, but honestly can't see it happening. I reckon we'll get another 1st teamer, probably a winger. Then some squad additions, like that Toney lad.

Good point.

Hoping we sign someone in addition to Mbemba for the back, but honestly can't see it happening. I reckon we'll get another 1st teamer, probably a winger. Then some squad additions, like that Toney lad.

I'm still not sure we'll go for a winger. It really is a dying position at the moment with most teams getting their width from their fullbacks. In Janmaat and Haidara we have two players who are set up very well to do that but Janmaat in particular seems to not want to push on too much so far in preseason. Whether that's to do with fitness, a lack of confidence in our defending or a bit of both I don't know but I suspect it's the latter. To me this makes another defensive signing even more important. If we do play without wingers it does raise a concern about backup for both fullback positions. Dummett isn't anywhere near as good as Haidara going forward and for Janmaat we'd be either playing a centreback or a central midfielder there if he's out. That could be a big problem potentially. Edited by David Kelly

I'm still not sure we'll go for a winger. It really is a dying position at the moment with most teams getting their width from their fullbacks. In Janmaat and Haidara we have two players who are set up very well to do that but Janmaat in particular seems to not want to push on too much so far in preseason. Whether that's to do with fitness, a lack of confidence in our defending or a bit of both I don't know but I suspect it's the latter. To me this makes another defensive signing even more important. If we do play without wingers it does raise a concern about backup for both fullback positions. Dummett isn't anywhere near as good as Haidara going forward and for Janmaat we'd be either playing a centreback or a central midfielder there if he's out. That could be a big problem potentially.

(I wanted to say "Raumdeuter" but the older contributors don't like it when you use new-fangled terms like that, Regista, or Trequartista)

Makes sense if we've two box to box players and two attacking fullbacks that we play with a mobile, fluid forward line (as Man City do). I wouldn't think of Cisse (nor from what I've read; Mitrovic) as a forward to work the flanks.

(I wanted to say "Raumdeuter" but the older contributors don't like it when you use new-fangled terms like that, Regista, or Trequartista)

Makes sense if we've two box to box players and two attacking fullbacks that we play with a mobile, fluid forward line (as Man City do). I wouldn't think of Cisse (nor from what I've read; Mitrovic) as a forward to work the flanks.

The likes of Aarons, Cabella, Perez and SDJ could all work well in that sort of formation. But the fullbacks having confidence in the players next to them is essential I think. Colo back to his best alongside Mbemba would work but I have serious doubts over whether he'll every get back near his best or whether he'll be here.

The likes of Aarons, Cabella, Perez and SDJ could all work well in that sort of formation. But the fullbacks having confidence in the players next to them is essential I think. Colo back to his best alongside Mbemba would work but I have serious doubts over whether he'll every get back near his best or whether he'll be here.

Needs the defensive midfielder to be both really disciplined and have a range of passing. I don't think Abeid, Anita, Colback, or Tiote have enough competency in both to do that job effectively.

Needs the defensive midfielder to be both really disciplined and have a range of passing. I don't think Abeid, Anita, Colback, or Tiote have enough competency in both to do that job effectively.

I'm not sure about that. I think Colback and Anita both have decent passing, especially if they have someone actual movement ahead of them, although I still have doubts about Anita's physicallity. Tiote clearly isn't the most brilliant passer of the ball but again with more quality with him he seems to settle himself down and play the easy ball (which is potentially enough if he has movement in front and either side and Gini who looks like he can pick a pass). Abeid I'm afraid I don't really rate at all. I'm pretty sure that if we can we'll sell him too.

I'd like to see Anita at FB a bit more. While hasnt really pushed for a start I think I'd keep him in the squad and see if SMc can get more out of him.