Stone Cold Charlie Austin

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldn't I be serious?

I really rate Abeid, there's a good player in there, but he was a kid playing in a team devoid of confidence. He'll come good.

I really rate Abeid, there's a good player in there, but he was a kid playing in a team devoid of confidence. He'll come good.

I reckon there is a player in Abeid as well. However, I dont think he is going to get a run of games to prove it. I'd much rather give him playing time than Anita.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one then ;)

Don't think we've seen enough of him to write him off, and there has been some glimpses of ability from what we have seen. If he doesn't get a proper run this season he'll never amount to anything here, if he does thinking with extreme optimism he could be our next Cabaye ;)

Edited by OTF

Don't think we've seen enough of him to write him off, and there has been some glimpses of ability from what we have seen. If he doesn't get a proper run this season he'll never amount to anything here, if he does thinking with extreme optimism he could be our next Cabaye ;)

When you say "extreme optimism" I'm assuming you mean the same type of optimism that CT has?

Goal scorers are goal scorers are goal scorers

Finding a successful striking partnership is rare and in reality has little to do with us needing a big man and a little man. As people previously pointed out, Shearer and Ferdinand were very similar players, neither were rapid or had a bag full of tricks. They hammered defences though

Goal scorers are goal scorers are goal scorers

Finding a successful striking partnership is rare and in reality has little to do with us needing a big man and a little man. As people previously pointed out, Shearer and Ferdinand were very similar players, neither were rapid or had a bag full of tricks. They hammered defences though

It's 20 years since they were paired together though. The game has moved on a fair bit since. You don't see many teams lining up with two lumbering target men up front now.

It's 20 years since they were paired together though. The game has moved on a fair bit since. You don't see many teams lining up with two lumbering target men up front now.

:lol:

Those two in their prime would still tear up the pl defences of today, man.

they'd take their chances but a team set up with those two up front now would struggle. you'd have to play 4-4-2 with proper wingers. doesn't really exist in the modern game of one striker, inverted wingers and two defensive midfielders

Edited by Dr Gloom

they'd take their chances but a team set up with those two up front now would struggle. you'd have to play 4-4-2 with proper wingers. doesn't really exist in the modern game of one striker, inverted wingers and two defensive midfielders

Yep. Two big immobile (im guessing that about MItrovic) strikers will just result in us playing directly.

Neither of those were lumbering target men though, not when they played together for us anyway.

they weren't exactly blistering either.

but even back then i remember a few commentators speculating as to whether they were too similar to work in a pair. they did work, but i'm not sure they would today.