Have you ever cheated DEATH?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came fairly close November 16th 2004 the day after Mrs T's birthday we went Xmas shopping in Ashington I drove there we'd just about finished at the market when I got pins and needles all down my left arm . I told Mrs T I didn't feel well within about a minute couldn't feel my left arm managed to walk a few steps then the same happened in my left leg I then wet myself and new I was in trouble . Next thing I knew there was an ambulance and I was being put in the guy asked if I had a headache just then I had an awful pain in the right side of my head. I did all I could to stay awake when I got to hospital they kept asking my name I thought I was talking properly but they couldn't understand me my face muscles had dropped. Then they were shining lights in my eyes I then passed out only to wake up 3 weeks later in Rake Lane hospital on the stroke unit it appears a blood vessel had burst on the right side of my brain causing me to be paralysed all down my left side I came home on Xmas eve because Mrs T & the kids said they wouldn't have Xmas if I wasn't there I wasn't having that anyways the doctors let me home . The outcome is I can't walk dress shower toilet etc by myself you could use a pen and draw a line from the middle of my for head down my body the left side has no feeling even my to urge no feeling on the left but feeling on the right side. I was only 45 when this happened non smoker I used to like a few beers but nothing excessive it just happened. I have a wonderful wife, kids & grandkids whom I love with all my heart they are my world. Oh and I had loads of friends and family come to see me in hospital but gradually they've all dwindled away but never mind I'm one of the lucky ones I survived to tell the tale and I'm very grateful for what I have.

Jesus Christ! What a terrible thing to go through. How are you now all these years later? Can you get about by yourself now? It sounds like it was a big one and you're lucky to be alive. Sometimes with strokes you get those mini ones first which act as a warning sign so the doctors can get you on drugs to reduce the chances of a bigger one coming but sounds like yours was a monster out of the blue. Fair play for staying so positive - I take my hat off to you there!

Jesus Christ! What a terrible thing to go through. How are you now all these years later? Can you get about by yourself now? It sounds like it was a big one and you're lucky to be alive. Sometimes with strokes you get those mini ones first which act as a warning sign so the doctors can get you on drugs to reduce the chances of a bigger one coming but sounds like yours was a monster out of the blue. Fair play for staying so positive - I take my hat off to you there!

I'm fairly incapacitated nothing came back except my speech I can't walk or stand by myself I can't bear wait so it's a case of shuffling around on my right leg the only good thing to come out of all this was Mrs T learned to drive.

Just to add to my passing acquaintance with the grim reaper a few days after I "woke up" I started to get terrible pain ii felt like it was in the back of my calf in my left leg it was really bad. I used to cry with the pain they used to give me codine phosphate this went on for about a week then one day they were changing my bed when Mrs T was there and she said to the nurse should his knee be that big it was about 3 times its normal size. When I'd lost the feeling in my leg it twisted my knee causing fluid on the knee I ended up having that drawn off then 4 hours later they gave me a steroid injection in the knee joint. Bloody he'll that hurt but it did the trick I had to stay in bed for 3 days then they sent me for ultra sound to check I didn't have deep vein thrombosis anyway the nurse said it was fine and I burst into tears as something seemed to be going right.

I nearly forgot one day the vicar came and asked if I'd like to go to the Xmas service they were doing seeing as I had a bit of time on my hands I thought why not I couldn't see properly or use the ps2 controller they gave me to use. Anyway this guy came and collected me and wheeled me down to the little chapel they have they were quite a few older people than myself there singing they gave me a hymn book but I couldn't see it . Always later that afternoon Mrs T came to see me and I said to her quite proudly "well I've been to church today " Mrs T looked horrified "did you wear that t shirt" she said I said "yes why" she said do you know what it says on the back" I'd forgot it said guns 'n' fucking roses were here surprisingly the vicar never did come to see me again.

I have only two and neither are hugely dramatic...

The first was at wet n' wild back in the day - I was about 8 and had never been in a pool/set up with a wave machine. Anyway, I ended up wading in quite deep but it was comfortable until they turned the machine on - at which point waves were higher than my head. I panicked and couldn't do anything except jump up from the bottom to try and gasp air - I was saved by some kid who looked like a young Jack Colback, who I still think kindly of as there was no way I was getting out of that, despite the fact that literally all I had to do was drop to the bottom and wade about two steps towards the shallow end where it would have been manageable. Didn't even occur to me though, all I could do was jump up and thrash about. I had swallowed enough water to throw up shortly after, it wasn't great.

Second time was in China - I was jaywalking admittedly, but I looked down the road and about 2-300m down there was a light just turning green to allow traffic through. I only had to cross 2 lanes so I thought I'd make it, but this taxi driver must have been utterly flooring it. I saw him a way off and thought I'd be fine, and just kept walking. He shot past in front of me just before I took the step that would have put me in his path, and I was actually nearly pulled over by the wake of his car. A group of Chinese people looked disappointed that I had survived :lol: That's not uncommon over there though, I saw people lying dead in the streets following traffic accidents, and they were surrounded by large numbers of people who literally just appeared to be standing there and 'taking it in'. Couldn't see any urgency or attempts to help, just morbid curiousity.

Nothing compared to some of the stories on here anyway...

I have only two and neither are hugely dramatic...

The first was at wet n' wild back in the day - I was about 8 and had never been in a pool/set up with a wave machine. Anyway, I ended up wading in quite deep but it was comfortable until they turned the machine on - at which point waves were higher than my head. I panicked and couldn't do anything except jump up from the bottom to try and gasp air - I was saved by some kid who looked like a young Jack Colback, who I still think kindly of as there was no way I was getting out of that, despite the fact that literally all I had to do was drop to the bottom and wade about two steps towards the shallow end where it would have been manageable. Didn't even occur to me though, all I could do was jump up and thrash about. I had swallowed enough water to throw up shortly after, it wasn't great.

I had a similar experience at Whitley Bay pool once when they turned the waves on. I was young enough to be wearing armbands but one of them had punctured or malfunctioned and I was convinced I was going to drown. Tried to wave to my dad to get him to come and get me but he just waved back at first (:lol:) before eventually coming over when he realised I was getting upset.

I had a similar experience at Whitley Bay pool once when they turned the waves on. I was young enough to be wearing armbands but one of them had punctured or malfunctioned and I was convinced I was going to drown. Tried to wave to my dad to get him to come and get me but he just waved back at first (:lol:) before eventually coming over when he realised I was getting upset.

Parents were more laissez faire in the 70's though.

:lol:

Can you describe that experience at all, or were you too far gone?

i lost a few hours, that's for sure. the problem was i got cocky with how many i took. i was only 16 or 17 at the time but figured i was a seasoned pro with acid, it was the first drug i experimented with after weed when i was 14-15 and i used to love it. the problem was i did 100 mushrooms the previous weekend, but i took them over the course of a day in doses of 20-30. i figured i could handle 100 again, but this time nailed them in one go (in a chicken and mushroom pot noodle of all things). i was wrong.

the hallucinations were so vivid that my mind couldn't cope. the numbers on a clock on the wall flew off individually then all came charging at me then celiing of my mate's room where we were tripping basically collapsed on top of me and i entered some entirely different realm of darkness and didn't really know what the fuck was going on. my mates who were with me said they lost me for about an hour while i was basically a dribbling wreck. i used to love tripping before that but once you have a dark one, it's not easy to enjoy it again as it's difficult to relax and not worry about going mental again.

Edited by Dr Gloom

:lol: I don't think I could eat a hundred normal mushrooms in one go, never mind ones that were going to send me loopy. I'm bang up for one of these ayahuasca retreats though,although simultaneously terrified that I might never come back. :lol:

i lost a few hours, that's for sure. the problem was i got cocky with how many i took. i was only 16 or 17 at the time but figured i was a seasoned pro with acid, it was the first drug i experimented with after weed when i was 14-15 and i used to love it. the problem was i did 100 mushrooms the previous weekend, but i took them over the course of a day in doses of 20-30. i figured i could handle 100 again, but this time nailed them in one go (in a chicken and mushroom pot noodle of all things). i was wrong.

the hallucinations were so vivid that my mind couldn't cope. the numbers on a clock on the wall flew off individually then all came charging at me then celiing of my mate's room where we were tripping basically collapsed on top of me and i entered some entirely different realm of darkness and didn't really know what the fuck was going on. my mates who were with me said they lost me for about an hour while i was basically a dribbling wreck. i used to love tripping before that but once you have a dark one, it's not easy to enjoy it again as it's difficult to relax and not worry about going mental again.

Sounds like good fun :lol:

Each to their own like but it's a totally alien concept to me to want to be off your knackers and lose an entire day

it can be brilliant fun if you don't go over to the dark side. that can be avoided be being in a safe environment - open outdoor spaces are good - and surrounding yourself with good friends who are experienced and can guide you back from the brink if things take a turn for the worse.

that said, i think i'm done with hallucinogens. like i said earlier, once you have a bad experience, it's difficult to really enjoy it again. i haven't done any for the best part of a decade now.

Was good when the loophole in the law meant the likes of Kard Bar were selling them for a while. Think that was back in 2005. You wouldn't take 100 of the Hawaiian ones.

no, that's the last time i tried them actually. they were selling them openly in camden market. it was a case of having a nibble instead of necking handfuls of the indigenous english variety.

no, that's the last time i tried them actually. they were selling them openly in camden market. it was a case of having a nibble instead of necking handfuls of the indigenous english variety.

With the native ones the good thing is you can control the dosage. Which makes your mistake all the funnier ;)