Alexandar Mitrovic

The Fish

Newcastle United have completed the signing of striker Aleksandar Mitrović, subject to the player receiving the appropriate visa.

The 20-year-old Serbian international arrives from Anderlecht and has put pen to paper on a five-year deal at St. James' Park, which is the fourth biggest transfer in the Club's history.

Mitrović came through the ranks at Partizan Belgrade before making his debut for their affiliated side Teleoptik.

The summer of 2012 saw the front man sign his first professional contract with Partizan and he made a goalscoring bow in a Champions League qualifier against Maltese side Valletta, a competition in which he has gained extensive experience over the past three seasons.

Mitrović finished the 2012/13 campaign as Partizan's top scorer, helping his team to the Serbian SuperLiga title.

In August 2013, he moved to Belgium to join Anderlecht and scored 44 goals in 90 appearances across two seasons at the Constant Vanden Stock Stadium.

Mitrović's performances for Serbia in the 2013 UEFA Under-19 Championships inspired his country to victory and earned him the Player of the Tournament award. The forward has now earned thirteen senior caps for his country.

Speaking of his arrival on Tyneside, he said: "I am so happy to have signed for Newcastle.

"I visited the stadium and it is amazing. I have played in a lot of impressive stadiums in my career but St. James' Park is so big, I can't wait to play my first game here.

"I know how passionate the fans are. This is a club with a very big history and the fans are a big part of that. There will be pressure here, for sure, but I like pressure.

"I also know about the famous players who have played for Newcastle United, like Alan Shearer, who is a hero of mine. I hope I can play like him for this Club. It will be an honour."

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren added: "This is a fantastic signing for us. We have fought off a lot of competition to secure a top young talent in Europe.

"Aleksandar is someone who can develop with the team and someone who will help us to get to where we want to go.

"As a Board we have worked hard to make it happen. It is another demonstration that we are wanting to push on."

Its great to see the investment and the new faces. I don't know enough about him to judge but he looks a 'bit of unit' too so doesnt look like he will have to deal with the same issues as e.g. Cabella did in terms of physicality.

Interesting (or more accurately, sadly) the only issue this summer is whether they will retain the bodies in the squad to give us the options we will need. I'm not really concerned about losing any of Sissoko, Cabella, Perez or Cisse in particular. Obviously Perez / Sissoko would be a disappointment but we'd only truly miss Perez's (albeit large) potential if the rest stay and we continue bringing in players. If we can get Austin and e.g. let Cisse go then the attacking options are going to be strong.

I doubt we will keep everyone we currently have. Looks like we are getting the bodies in before letting some players go. Which makes sense, the end of the window is more of a sellers market.

yes, it's good that we're buying in players before selling, for once.

i still would like to see us get in some wingers with pace, a left back and a central defender to go along with the two new additions.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I don't know if the squad is deep enough for us to be selling that many players... would agree with Cisse assuming we can get Austin, but that's pretty much it from the first team. We barely even had a first team at the end of last season.

I don't know if the squad is deep enough for us to be selling that many players... would agree with Cisse assuming we can get Austin, but that's pretty much it from the first team. We barely even had a first team at the end of last season.

Williamson, Gouffran, Obertan should all be sold a priority tbh. I'd be happy enough with one off Anita/Abeid going too. Cisse, providing we sign another quality striker wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd be reasonably happy to keep him along with Mitro, Perez, Riviere and SDJ. Vukic, Marveaux & Shaney wayney must be dead certs to be shipped out too. Edited by David Kelly

Indeed. I assume its going to happen though as we've just signed our 3rd and 4th most expensive players.

What is less clear is that i dont think any of the players we could potentially sell have a high enough 'stock' right now for it to be a foregone conclusion. Perhaps Cisse as his numbers speak for themselves but i cant see bids above 10m for anyone in the squad right now.

His celebration makes sense now, his tongue's basically lolling out of his mouth as standard.

Colo's face at the beginning of that. :lol: Like a man absolutely at the end of his tether with your horseshit.

Indeed. I assume its going to happen though as we've just signed our 3rd and 4th most expensive players.

What is less clear is that i dont think any of the players we could potentially sell have a high enough 'stock' right now for it to be a foregone conclusion. Perhaps Cisse as his numbers speak for themselves but i cant see bids above 10m for anyone in the squad right now.

Yeah that's a key point I think. Although the board made clear last season with the crazy sale of Santon for £2.5m that it's not always the size of the transfer that matters... Certainly wouldn't mind losing the people David Kelly noted, but we're just so light on the ground in terms of backup that I'm concerned for the problems we'll face when the inevitable injury crisis kicks in.

Chuffed with this, we still really need defenders but this gives us a bit more depth up front.

It's also good to see the club can now sack off the bloke who puts the numbers on shirts and Mitrovic is willing to double up as a player-shirt presser.