Alexandar Mitrovic

The Fish

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

A 'top 6' side in Italy could be a perfect move for him. He's not such a horrid footballer that many like to think - not unimaginable to think that he'd sign for Napoli/Atalanta are score 30+ for a season.

Would take him back here in a heartbeat for £40Mish + Chris Wood. People enjoy disliking Mitro, but his goalscoring record stands up for a mid-table PL forward; he's managed to score enough goals for Serbia, often against top nations. Fortunately England haven't had to play Serbia for last 5 years - Mitro and his Serbia lads would have loved a game against England. 

Not really of the opinion that 1) he’s what we need or 2) we should sign strikers in the basis they’re better than Chris Wood tbh. I think he would do well in Italy though. If he can continue his form from early this season over a sustained period then it would obviously suggest he’s a pretty decent PL forward. Overall though his top flight record here is still pretty ordinary. One goal in four-ish I think 

• Like 2

On 18/10/2022 at 18:19, ohhh_yeah said:

Mitrovic:

"In the past, I came close to Roma…In England I am fine, but never say never for the future. In addition to the Giallorossi, I have a weakness for Napoli and for the Azzurri fans."

wouldn't get close to the Napoli first team. 

I will always say the same about Mitrovic. It didn't work out here, but I would love for him to have been able to perform, especially since he is a boy who wanted to play here and who did so despite having offers from other teams in a better position.

He entered the team very badly the first year. I remember that he was booked in his first two games in the first two plays and that shortly after he was sent off and there he began to be seen as a Bad Boy. Then there was the fact that the equipment was not working. Anita and Colback were starters, Thauvin didn't work out, Mbemba and Steven Taylor played a lot of minutes because there were no other options... From that year only the performances of Ayoze and Wijnaldum were saved. And of Townsend later. Still, Mitro had 9 goals and 4 assists in about 2,000 minutes. Not bad at all for a team that generated so little in attack and ended up relegated.

In Championship something similar happened to him. He started late and badly because the first games he was suspended and he couldn't play in the first 4-5 days. And then when he wanted to get on the team, he found out that Gayle was scoring goals. And certainly, Benitez's style suited a quick player like Gayle better than Mitrovic. Rafa always played like this if he had the option.

When he had Salva and Oliveira (shorter) on the squad in Valencia, they played before Carew.
At Liverpool he took a team with Morientes and Crouch, but as soon as he could he traded them for Kuyt, Bellamy and then he signed a fast player like Torres.
At Inter Milan he sent Diego Milito to the bench (who had just been the Best Player in Serie A and Champions that year of the treble) to play with Pandev and Eto'o nothing more.

So it's normal that the team wasn't cut out to play for Mitrovic and that he didn't stand out here. In addition, let's add that he was not 100% mature and that he had sometimes childish attitudes on the grass. I imagine that he would also have them in training and Benítez did not like that.

• Like 2