US Tour

The Fish

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williamson was pony for both goals and Lascelles's tackle for the pen was a shocker. I thought we were generally awful first half, severely lacking in width with Janmaat not wanting to go too far forward on the right and Gouffran giving Haidara no help on the left. SDJ started off well but faded very quickly. Only really Colback and Anita didn't look well off the pace. I don't know where the Mexicans are with their preparations but we looked miles behind them.

I thought the second half was much better. We had them penned back for nearly the whole 45 minutes and Darlow barely saw the ball. We still didn't create many chances until Aarons came on. He looked sharp.

The good things were that we did look like we wanted to build from the back (not always successfully) and weren't just punting balls up. We also seem to have thankfully left the set piece to Williamson behind with Carver and Stone. No signs of any injuries either.

Am just watching this now. Did the live viewing have sound as what i'm watching now doesn't?

Are you watching the full 90, you crazy bastard?

Edited by Gemmill

Former Ajax skipper De Jong - who knows McClaren well from his days as FC Twente boss - told the American media after the game: “I think he’s a good coach who really knows what he wants. You saw tonight that we improved on some aspects of the game compared to (what we were playing) especially the end of the season last season.
“We want to play more from the back and keep the ball a little bit more.
“Of course it’s a little bit new for some players so we need to train (that way) and (implement it) in the games as well

1864502_w1.jpg

Edited by The Fish

If yer gonna give players a run-out in pre-season games why did McLaren play Willo & Lascells for 90 minutes?

Aren't Colo - Saylor - Good - etc in the squad?

Why didn't he give them a run-out?

He took out Janmaat & Haidara to put in Biggy & Fergie so why not give other defenders a run-out instead of sticking with those two clod-hoppers?

If yer gonna give players a run-out in pre-season games why did McLaren play Willo & Lascells for 90 minutes?

He took out Janmaat & Haidara to put in Biggy & Fergie so why not give other defenders a run-out instead of sticking with those two clod-hoppers?

Perhaps wait until at least pre-season is over before losing it at who he's playing noelie.

Maybe Colo's (and the others) return to match fitness would be best brought about by missing this glorified training session because it doesn't matter a jot?

saving the starters so they won't get injured?

Maybe, or maybe it's one pre-season game and people shouldn't read too much into it?

I watched the full 90 and agree with everyone else really.

Although it is pre-season I was surprised some players got a full 90 - but the fitness level and sharpness looked woeful - worse than the last pre season campaign I watched.

Colback and Anita had decent games, Sissoko's goal was lucky, wouldn't have flown in the premiership.

One thing not mentioned - does anyone else notice Sissoko's almost constant feigning of injury? Does he have a problem with his lower back or what?? He was doing it all last season in every game, puffing , holding his back and walking like hes been rammed up the arse.

@@scoobos.....pre season is to help the players build up match fitness. You cant expect them to run around like dogs on heat in a meaningless pre season friendly. It was probably quite hot as well (don't know the conditions and cba to look it up).

Pardew had the players looking fitter last pre season.....but conditioning to last the season is more important than looking fit in meaningless friendlies. We lost de Jong for most of the season with a thigh injury in.pre season too, i dont think that was a conicidence personally.

Also worth noting that de Jong mentioned how McClaren is implementing a new style of play with more emphasis on building from the back and keeping possession.

"De Jong said: “I think he’s a good coach who really knows what he wants. You saw tonight that we improved on some aspects of the game compared to [last season] especially the end of the season last season. We want to play more from the back and keep the ball a little bit more.

“Of course it’s a little bit new for some players so we need to train and [implement it] in the games as well.”

Doesn't matter what the score line is pre season as long as they are ready when it matters.

Yeah fair enough kitman. I was just comparing to a few years back when I could last be arsed to watch pre season (think it was Keegan under Ashley era, but could be mistaken).

Sissoko baffles me though, with his back holding puffing and panting malarkey.

RE: the McLaren "style" thing, it's too early to say , but I defo noticed a big change as far as playing the ball across the floor much more often.

Edited by scoobos

`RE: the McLaren "style" thing, it's too early to say , but I defo noticed a big change as far as playing the ball across the floor much more often.`

which the other team did better than us in the first half. DOnt think we have the quality in midfield to outpass otehr teams. gouffran and dejong are weak point sin this idea?....remind me of james milner, willing work horses with limited ability.