US Tour

The Fish

some people at a necastle fan imitation convention.....I havent seen a nufc fan smile for 18months so these have to be imposters!

11701190_875714105845529_200596399348257

`from the Mother Lode bar in Sacramento`

AYch4Io.gif

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worries me Squidward has started and play a fair chunk of both games.

I think that's just been down to who's been available. Same with Williamson. I'm certainly hoping so. Neither of them should ever play for us again.

Slower pace than the last game, but the change in play style is more obvious. Early yet (15 mins in) but Aarons has looked fit and sharp and Gino gets a goal after 6 mins. Let in a shocker.

Lol... 2 in now... oh dear

Edited by scoobos

time to make changes Brolly-Boy, there is a shower out there in Portland and it's called Newcastle.

I know, I know, it's pre-season but for fucks sake.

First goal Satkas fault.

Second goal Darlows fault, and maybe the third.

Started off so good and then the rot set in. Some crap players out there in the first half.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the performance with a back four of Bigirimana, Satka, Wee Shane (?!) and Aarons.

Nice to see Aarons looking sharp.

That was of course nowhere near our first choice defence but its still not a far off representation of what that looks like generally.

Really think we need someone experienced to replace Willo, not just someone like Mbemba.

Nice to see Aarons looking sharp.

That was of course nowhere near our first choice defence but its still not a far off representation of what that looks like generally.

Really think we need someone experienced to replace Willo, not just someone like Mbemba.

Considering we've got willo, colo and taylor as 3 of our centrebacks I think the complete opposite tbh, we need some quality younger blood in there

Mbemba has played internationaly and in europe so hes not exactly fresh out of the academy

Assume that this line-up was McClaren titting about and seeing if the likes of Satka is ready and if Bigirimana can deputise at right-back. For centre halves, I can imagine we'll only get Mbemba now and Lascelles, Taylor and Colo can fight for the other spot.

McClaren has revealed that the Magpies started with Shane Ferguson, Gael Bigirimana, Lubomir Satka and Aarons in defence because Fabricio Coloccini, Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor and Jamaal Lascelles could not play on the surface.

"We had six of seven who couldn't play on this surface, and quite a few played who we only wanted to have a small amount of time [on the pitch] because of troubles they get," The Shields Gazette quotes McClaren as saying.
"In that respect, the key thing was that everyone came through safely and no injuries. We've more or less done that."

Just how bad was the planning of this trip when the only match we could arrange was against an MLS reserve side on a surface which half our team refused to play?

Edit: Point made by HF an hour ago on Twitter.

Edited by ewerk

Assume that this line-up was McClaren titting about and seeing if the likes of Satka is ready and if Bigirimana can deputise at right-back. For centre halves, I can imagine we'll only get Mbemba now and Lascelles, Taylor and Colo can fight for the other spot.

It was all about which players wouldn't get injured or aggravate niggles on an artificial surface.

Shane as a CB :lol:

Just how bad was the planning of this trip when the only match we could arrange was against an MLS reserve side on a surface which half our team refused to play?

Edit: Point made by HF an hour ago on Twitter.

Aye, it's almost like Charnley is out of his depth. Maybe we should call him '20,000 fathoms below the sea' rather than 'Penfold'?

Considering we've got willo, colo and taylor as 3 of our centrebacks I think the complete opposite tbh, we need some quality younger blood in there

Mbemba has played internationaly and in europe so hes not exactly fresh out of the academy

I meant someone experienced in the league in addition to 'youngsters' like Mbemba. Considering what the likes of Santon and Haidara have gone through, and players like Zouma for other teams, it could be 2-3 years before he becomes a decent CB in this league, if at all. Alongside the likes of Willo and Taylor, who're not ideal partners for a developing youngster anyway, the chances of that happening are not likey to be improved and we'll still be open to our usual horrors at the back undoing any good we might be able to conjure up front with the new signings. Thus spending 10-15M on a proven defender in a top league is necessary in my opinion.

I meant someone experienced in the league in addition to 'youngsters' like Mbemba. Considering what the likes of Santon and Haidara have gone through, and players like Zouma for other teams, it could be 2-3 years before he becomes a decent CB in this league, if at all. Alongside the likes of Willo and Taylor, who're not ideal partners for a developing youngster anyway, the chances of that happening are not likey to be improved and we'll still be open to our usual horrors at the back undoing any good we might be able to conjure up front with the new signings. Thus spending 10-15M on a proven defender in a top league is necessary in my opinion.

Fair enough, any thoughts on who?

a 10-15 million pound defender who plays in the PL, not too old/young who would come here?

The only concern from that game was the horrific planning from our administration people. We will never see that defence play in a competetive match so how they played is irrelevant. I can't imagine Darlow was full of confidence playing behind them either.

I watched most of it this morning at it looked like we just wanted to get through it without injuries. Only really Aarons and Perez made any sort of real efforts. Arrons continues to look like a player and I'd like to see us get him on a new contract as soon as possible. Hopefully he can play a decent part this season.

With regards to defenders I don't see us bringing in another after Mbemba (assuming that does go through). I think we'll be looking to partner him mainly with Colo with Taylor and Lascelles as back up. Williamson should be ditched immediately. As long as we can get through the season with two of Mbemba, Colo and Taylor fit for the majority of the games it shouldn't be too bad (assuming Mbemba is what we're expecting). We'll then have to look in January or more likely next summer to bring another player in as Colo will certainly be gone by then. Of course if he goes earlier that should change things.

Aarons does look like he could be a good player, if he can stay injury free.

Didn't you hear? CT rates him. He'll be playing in League 2 within a year.