Investment ISAs

Rayvin

Just about to look at opening one of these instead of the usual Cash equivalents. Just wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations of specific funds that have performed quite well recently? Obviously with the caveat of no one being held responsible for any financial advice offered :lol:

But yeah, just wondering who people use for this. I was thinking Jupiter since our finance director at works uses them (he must know his stuff, right?!) but still, I'd prefer to have a larger sample size.

EDIT - I have a friend who has advised that he put £900 into his Natwest Balanced Stock ISA last year, and it's now worth £3000...not sure if I believe that, but it made me think about having a look at it.

Edited by Rayvin

Got a one with Royal London (was Co-Op) that's done canny well. Based on Stocks and shares across Asian and US markets rather than just the usual FTSE 100 tracker. If it's a longer term thing it's probably going to outperform a cash only one with the current interest rates. Only problem is if you're likely to need your money in the short-term you're cattled if there's a share price crash.

if your brave you can use 10% of your money, in the isa, to buy an etf that shorts the chinese stockmarket.

its risky, but the bubble there is bursting?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-etf-lets-investors-profit-if-chinas-stock-market-tumbles

google for more...

follow this lad, hes got his head screwed on!

world wide crash expected in october...get shorting!

Edited by TobamorisRevenge

Ask yourself who pays for the booming UK Finacial Sevices industry??

It's mugs who buy into whatever "product" they're currently peddling

Do some research and manage your own cash

Edited by Rob W

Ask yourself who pays for the booming UK Finacial Sevices industry??

It's mugs who buy into whatever "product" they're currently peddling

Do some research and manage your own cash

There's the assumption there though that I have time to do this. What if my time is better spent making money in other ways? If I don't have time to research investment decisions in the level of detail required to make informed choices, due predominantly to working on things that will make more money than the investment itself, then why is it harmful to outsource that task to another entity which will, admittedly, take some of the income that I could have earned; but which will also be able to make informed decisions for me.

Granted they might get it wrong, but then so might I.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't - I'm still new to this and in shorting the market seemed like something 'advanced' investors should be doing :lol: Did you?

I figured I might wait for it to bottom out and then buy cheap though, assuming that there'll be a recovery of some form.

I invested all my money into Pinball Machines. Made about £4k profit in 3 years. Put all the profits into a Norton Commando. It was a bag of shit and I sold it at a loss. Much more fun than sticking it in the bank though.

I didn't - I'm still new to this and in shorting the market seemed like something 'advanced' investors should be doing :lol: Did you?

I figured I might wait for it to bottom out and then buy cheap though, assuming that there'll be a recovery of some form.

didnt have any spare money myself, but dad lets me tinker with his isa....mentalness runs in the family!

I got him some of these....

The ETFX FTSE® 100 Super Short Strategy (2x) Fund

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/etf/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=0P0000KLEX

not got enough to make any real money, more just to balance out the losses of the other stuff in the portfolio all going south(which is a bad place to be am told).

I did consider trying to short the chinese stockmarket, but felt pretty exotic and scary tbh! not sure that coudl be done from an isa either. They dont let you hold mega high risk stuff in an isa.

buying an inverse etf is the only way i know to short stuff. well i mean an indices....some brokers will let you short company shares, but you have to have balls of kryptonite to do that stuff.(or have some inside information)

spread betting is the main way the public short stuff, but its VERY risky, and is basically gambling, its not worth the stress. basically its hard to beat the bookies, just like in real life. stock brokers are just bookies in suits !

Edited by TobamorisRevenge

• 1 year later...

all the evidence is that you're just as well off choosing investments with a pin rather than employing expensive "advisors"

Just opened a Help to Buy ISA, mainly for the comparatively decent interest rate than any crazy notion of ever being able to buy in London. I'd forgotten about this glorious Rob-ism. :lol:

That's not a "flaw", it's right there in the terms and conditions. I read them so I don't see why others can't.............................................

Not particularly using it for the bonus anyway tbh, it's just an easy way of getting a 2.25%+ return on instant access funds. Not really in a position to tie anything up for longer to earn more, lovely though that would be.