Newcastle United V Southampton

Christmas Tree

Shearer, Speed and Sir Les. None of those three were particularly tall. heading is a skill as is the timing of the jump.

As Gini proved on Sunday.

I'd be happy to do a deal with Brighton for Dunk involving Williamson. I don't know a lot about Dunk but I remember he was highly rated a couple of years ago and is apparently a favourite there. Only 23 so he's at least got a chance of developing too. Clearly with Colo signing a new deal we're not going to be signing another first choice centreback so someone like him is probably the best we can hope for.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fuck all pre-season

1st competitive game in the Premier League with an unfamiliar defence

Pelle is very good in the air

Think it's hasty to write him off

I'm not writing him off I'm saying he's not what we needed to compliment Colo. They might be too similar.

They had another chance from a cross as well where Krul managed to clear it over the bar. Not looking forward to playing against Pulis -_-

Shearer, Speed and Sir Les. None of those three were particularly tall. heading is a skill as is the timing of the jump.

You're at the other end of the pitch though. They were having crosses aimed at them whereas a centre half needs the physical attributes and to get to stuff that isn't being aimed at them and thwart attacks.

And none of them were centre-halves either. Not many players less than 6ft spring to mind who've done well in that position playing in the top flight over here. I can see it being an issue given it caused the odd problem against a side not exactly renowned for their physicality. .

And none of them were centre-halves either. Not many players less than 6ft spring to mind who've done well in that position playing in the top flight over here. I can see it being an issue given it caused the odd problem against a side not exactly renowned for their physicality. .

Think stopping the cross is a better way of defending against big physical strikers like Pelle.

Think stopping the cross is a better way of defending against big physical strikers like Pelle.

Aye. That's not going to happen all the time though.

Aye. That's not going to happen all the time though.

Course not.

To be honest, I think Mbemba is the long-term replacement for Coloccini, rather than the partner. Unfortunately I can't see us buying another 1st choice centre back this window and none that we have at the club are a better option than playing both Mbemba and Colo together. Luckily I think we're not going to face forwards who're as good in the air as Pelle, certainly not who also have the quality of delivery that Southampton can boast.

Course not.

To be honest, I think Mbemba is the long-term replacement for Coloccini, rather than the partner. Unfortunately I can't see us buying another 1st choice centre back this window and none that we have at the club are a better option than playing both Mbemba and Colo together. Luckily I think we're not going to face forwards who're as good in the air as Pelle, certainly not who also have the quality of delivery that Southampton can boast.

I agree. But I thought that about Yanga-Mbiwa too and that worked out well.

I agree. But I thought that about Yanga-Mbiwa too and that worked out well.

:lol:

Poor old Mapou. It was the constant abuse he got from the sidelines, essembee repeating "Cooooward"

tumblr_l57bd0DSD11qc073co1_400.gif

We've got Williamson and Lascelles if you just want a big lump at the back.

The second goal had nothing to do with height anyway, it was bad positioning. Log was one of the shortest players on the pitch

Definitely agree here.

Janmaat was flat footed and lost concentration.

I'm not writing him off I'm saying he's not what we needed to compliment Colo. They might be too similar.

They had another chance from a cross as well where Krul managed to clear it over the bar. Not looking forward to playing against Pulis -_-

Apparently Mbemba is decent in the air and has pace to burn/quite strong so he sounds the opposite of Colo and exactly the type of player needed alongside him.

As Gini proved on Sunday.

I'd be happy to do a deal with Brighton for Dunk involving Williamson. I don't know a lot about Dunk but I remember he was highly rated a couple of years ago and is apparently a favourite there. Only 23 so he's at least got a chance of developing too. Clearly with Colo signing a new deal we're not going to be signing another first choice centreback so someone like him is probably the best we can hope for.

You dont know a lot about him but you want to sign him ??!?! Gold.

He is good on the ball but not sure how he'd fair in the PL. He also got accused of rape a couple of years ago so he'd fit in well.

You dont know a lot about him but you want to sign him ??!?! Gold.

He is good on the ball but not sure how he'd fair in the PL. He also got accused of rape a couple of years ago so he'd fit in well.

I do know a lot about Williamson and I know he's absolute dog shit. So in the absence of any likely big name/fee transfer in that area I'd be happy to take a punt on a player who I don't know a great deal about other than he's about 23, he's well regarded by his own fans (albeit in a lower league) and (I think) he was considered a very promising player a couple of year back. Is that more acceptable? I mean ultimiately very few (or none more likely) of us knew anything about Mbember before he was linked either.

Edit: I also know he's a big fucker too.

Edited by David Kelly