How many Newcastle games have you been to?

McFaul

If you're honest how many Newcastle games do you think you've approximately been to? What was your first ever game and what was your first away game?

I went to my first home game August 29 1985. It was a classic in a few ways. For one I was in the wooden seats with my dad and sister as a 7 year old. Two we beat Liverpool hugely unexpectedly, three it was their first away game after Heysel and four George Reilly who was fuckin totally shit got the winner. As a seven year old I was massively frightened of the noise or so I'm told, doubt kids face that these days.

I went to about another 100 games from then till 1991 when I got my first season ticket and I had that till 2014. I've probably done over 120 away games, missed 2 out of 23 in 92/93, home games over 600, so I've been to in excess of 700 Newcastle matches.

My first away game was the mackems in 1991, a 1-1 draw with the most mental celebration of a goal I can ever remember (below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3-XNmaPfg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went sporadically with my old man from 1986 onwards, then later on my parents and me shared two season tickets between the three of us. Since I moved away it's mostly been away games and occasional visits to SJP when I'm up and the timing coincides (like last weekend). Factoring in cup games and the like, of which we had no shortage some seasons, my best guess is maybe 300-350 total?

First home game was this:

10431878_822821234479881_1901899603_n.jp

Just found the programme when I was up last month so I've brought it back with me. I reckon I must have got bored at some point because I've made up all the scores in the boxes on the back page. We won 51-0 apparently.

First away games were at Nykvarn and Katrineholm on our 1988/89 pre-season tour. #soopafan

I went to the odd game in the late 80's with mates. Never got to do the "with my Dad" thing as he worked most weekends. I'm not even sure what the first game was. The first games I can actually remember seeing were my Dad playing sunday league or a trip up to Edinburgh when I took in Hibs v Airdrie. I joined the TA after I left school so that took my weekends next so again never got to go. I'd probably seen only 20 games at SJP before leaving the TA and then getting a season ticket. Had the season ticket something like 19 years until giving it up recently. I say because the kids came along and that is partly true but MA made it a much easier decision than it should have been. Hardly missed a home game in those 19 years though only done about 2 away each year. Ive started going again with my eldest now but only a handful of games. My next game will be the home cup tie for example. So Ive probably done 400-450. Ish.

The highlight in that time was Inter away. Not just for the game but the craic over the whole few days on the drink over there.

Fuck all in reality, had a season ticket for a few years in the early 00s and was taken by a neighbour to a few games each year in the mid/late 90s. Since I went to Uni it's mainly cup games, or an away game. Only been to see us in Europe a couple of times as well.

If I stayed local I'd definitely have kept up a season ticket, but that's easy to say.

Got no plans to move back so it's unlikely I'll be getting to see more than a handful of games a season, which is shit. Really do miss Saturdays (or Fridays/Sundays and Mondays) at St James' in the League, but it was the European fixtures that always stand out as highlights, even if were played shit, against shit opposition, in a shit competition (Troyes anyone?), it was still something special and the thing I miss most.

To answer your question, probably only about 100-150.

Should have added in answer to Stevie's full question:

Firs home game was a testimonial in 73 with my Dad. First one I went to with mates was QPR in December 79.

First away game was Burnley on boxing day 79 - supporters club bus. Wasn't supposed to be a regular thing but became so.

I also intended to go to a lot less when I went to university in 82 but railcards meant trains were cheap as fuck so still went everywhere and bought my first ST in 83.

First game was 1-1 v Exeter in the cup 1981/2(?) attended sporadically until I left school in 85 by which time there was a lad called Gascoigne making waves that our village Newcastle supporter said was the best young player he'd ever seen (good judge, rip Bob Pringle B.E.M.) So I probably went to 90% of home games between 85-90. I then moved down south after I finished my apprenticeship and attendance has been up and down since then due to living 367 miles from sjp...I do have 200+ away ticket loyalty points so am thinking I've been to maybe 500 ish?...

I cant actually remember my first game. I can remember David Hirst sticking one in the stanchion when Sheff Wed bummed us. I think that was my first match memory. He was class that day. Could have been a top International striker bar injuries.

~1:30 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xEbHxOUgQ

Edited by Holden McGroin

No idea but nothing like as many as most on here. I basically didn't go at all as a kid (one game), cos my dad hates football. Had a season ticket for a number of years which I gave up in 2009, I think. Don't miss it at all.

My first and only childhood game was vs. Charlton Athletic. Newcastle won 2-1. Cornwell scored and Mirandinha was playing.

Went to watch them train once too, I remember Gazza being in a fun fight on the floor with someone, screaming "Ooooo me plums" on the deck over and over again. I also remember standing behind the goal and stopping a Neil McDonald shot with my inner thigh - it was red and you could see the lines from the different leather segments on my leg for the rest of the day. It absolutely knacked but I played it cool.

Why'd you stop going? Serious question.

I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. I was skipping midweek games completely, and it got to the point where dragging myself to the ground even for weekend games had lost its appeal. Then we got relegated and I knew I would be wasting my money if I renewed as I would never go.

I've since reframed it as a brave protest against the evil owner. :lol:

My first game was vs Leicester 0-0 april 1982. For three seasons I didn't miss a home game and went to half the away games. Between 1985 and 1991 military service got in the way. Then back to all the home games and a few away. I stopped going regularly when keegan left. When SBR came back I went to the odd match but my fanaticism had died away, stopped going altogether when SBR got sacked.

I cant actually remember my first game. I can remember David Hirst sticking one in the stanchion when Sheff Wed bummed us. I think that was my first match memory. He was class that day. Could have been a top International striker bar injuries.

Easter Monday 1988. We went down a month later

I've since reframed it as a brave protest against the evil owner. :lol:

:lol:

I thought it may have been through becoming disillusioned with the sport. So there's that approach too if you're looking to mix it up.

[emoji38]

I thought it may have been through becoming disillusioned with the sport. So there's that approach too if you're looking to mix it up.

That was definitely a part of me not enjoying it anymore tbf. I barely watch football anymore outside of our games. I think in part it's cos I've got more into other sports and when you compare the relative behaviour of the participants it's not hard to very quickly go off footballers, particularly when you take into account the relative pay.

That was definitely a part of me not enjoying it anymore tbf. I barely watch football anymore outside of our games. I think in part it's cos I've got more into other sports and when you compare the relative behaviour of the participants it's not hard to very quickly go off footballers, particularly when you take into account the relative pay.

Yeah. It's a pretty fair conclusion too.

Look at Saurez. Getting around biting people and demanding FIFA apologise for having the temerity to ban him for it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=82LvILYcooM

Here it is I just moved up to the North East (Felling) in September my new school mates asked if I fancied going to the match I was 16 at the time ended up going to all the home games for about the next 2 years until I discovered the city hall & used to spend all my money on concert tickets. I remember the first time seeing SJP and thinking it looked like a big grey shed but once you got inside it was the best shed in the world I'd been taken to Goodison Park by my dad & uncle to watch Everton it would have been about 1969/70 i know I was there when they won the 1st division they had Gordon West, Colin Harvey, Alan Ball, & Joe Royle playing for them but there was no atmosphere like SJP I know it's a cliché but there really is nowhere like SJP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xEbHxOUgQ

Remember that game well. I was in the Leazes End, there was about 34,000 there because we knew it was the game that would be pivotal in our relegation battle. I remember going 0-1 down after 20 seconds and unbelievably the kid who scored (Dean Barrick) it was the first touch of his career. Bobbled in to the corner. We lost 1-3 and that was it really.

Just as an aside I remember being at a home game in either 75 or 76 I think it was against Ipswich (cup game) anyway the ground was packed solid we couldn't get in the Leazes so ended up in the Gallowgate it was a bitterly cold day there was thick frost on the pitch after inspections it was deemed playable (it should never have started) we scored a first half goal the & at half time it came over the tannoy the match had been abandoned there was hell on as you'd imagine. We were walking down Westgate Rd and car doors were getting booted in the new Eldon Square locked shoppers in. We got to Central station only to be turned away by the police tried to get the bus back to Felling but they were all full so ended up walking home only to getting a bollicking of me dad for being home so late.

Edited by trooper

My first game was against West Brom some time towards the end of the 84/85 season. Up until that point I had little or no interest in football which I'm sure is why my dad took me. The only player of ours I'd heard of was Chris Waddle but he was injured that day (I never did get to see him play for us). I remember my dad going through our team with me in the car on the way up. He was far from keen on George Riley or Pat Herd but told me of a certain Peter Beardsley who was apparently magic. We won 1-0 thanks to a Beardsley freekick. In truth I can't rember anything else about the game (I must have been not quite 9) but the next season the last of my dads mates who he used to sit with dropped out so I got his season ticket and we've had the same seats in the East Stand ever since. I don't think I've missed 10 league home games since so I must be on about 600 games plus cup games (which I've only ever missed any in the last couple of seasons). I've never managed to get to as many away games, in later years when I've had mates who go to more of them, I've had the bairn on a weekend so it's difficult to get to them. Before that I can't really remember anyone I knew going to many. The first I went to was Liverpool in the relegation season when Mirah and John Hendrie scored in our win and I think the next one wasn't until the last game against Leciester a few seasons later when we were on the verge of division 3. I went to five or six the promotion season and a few a year for the rest of the Keegan age. Overall I've probably not went to more than 50 ranging from Peterborough, Notts County and Morcambe to Barca, Brugge and Lisbon as well as both makem grounds and Wembley. Maybe get to 1 away game a season now. For all the talk of chucking in tickets, I can't really envisage doing anything else on a matchday now.

First game was 91, I was 7 and went with neighbours who were season ticket holders. My old man was a rugby fan so these neighbours are the reason I support Newcastle. Can't even remember who it was against.

Last home game was Stoke around xmas a couple of years ago (Cabaye freekick was the winner I think). Probably not even 100 games in total due to living all over the place. Only went to the City cup game last year, sat in the home end but that was only cos I had just moved within walking distance of the City ground.

First away game was probably Bolton or West Brom. Went to a lot more Spartans games with my dad and northern league games with my grandad As a young un.

From turning 16 I had a season ticket for 5 seasons out of 8 or 9 on and off. Probably been to 150+ games. Working shifts and spending long periods living in Leeds and America stopped it from being more.

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

First game I remember was 73-74, against Man City or Coventry ( I remember the blue shirts, and beards- fucking loads of beards :lol: )

Went regularly with my old man and brother during the 70s, I seem to remember us going to Frank Clark's testimonial, which might've been my first night game.

I got into rock climbing aged 12, so that took over my weekends and free time during most if the 80s.

Worked abroad for most of the early 90s, but was home for a lot games then.

Had a season ticket when I could afford it, and when I didn't I went to roughly 9-10 home games a season.

Last game was when we thrashed the Dippers just after Hughton was sacked- I only went because a mate was up from Lahndan ( Cockney Dipper, aye :lol: ) and he had tickets.

Stopped going through a combination of disgust with the Fat Man, and increased workload of my business at weekends.

No idea how many games in total- more than some, less than others :dunno: