How many Newcastle games have you been to?

McFaul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was gan to say. I was readying up K and O and they were set to kill.

I've just walked past the Rustlers burgers in Tesco and shook my head at the thought of you stood staring through the microwave window, jonesin'. :lol:

I've just walked past the Rustlers burgers in Tesco and shook my head at the thought of you stood staring through the microwave window, jonesin'. :lol:

Being sick into the sink, more like. Good hangover bait in the same way that takeaway pizza is and I'll have no words said against them.

If you're honest how many Newcastle games do you think you've approximately been to? What was your first ever game and what was your first away game?

I went to my first home game August 29 1985. It was a classic in a few ways. For one I was in the wooden seats with my dad and sister as a 7 year old. Two we beat Liverpool hugely unexpectedly, three it was their first away game after Heysel and four George Reilly who was fuckin totally shit got the winner. As a seven year old I was massively frightened of the noise or so I'm told, doubt kids face that these days.

I went to about another 100 games from then till 1991 when I got my first season ticket and I had that till 2014. I've probably done over 120 away games, missed 2 out of 23 in 92/93, home games over 600, so I've been to in excess of 700 Newcastle matches.

My first away game was the mackems in 1991, a 1-1 draw with the most mental celebration of a goal I can ever remember (below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR3-XNmaPfg

No idea how many games. My first was Shrewsbury at home in 1983, (just about our only home defeat that year). Like Gemmill my Dad wasn't too bothered about football despite being a Geordie and being at the games as a bairn in the fifties glory years. He had itchy feet and joined the army after the navy told him 'thanks but no thanks' :lol: Anyway, I badgered him for what seemed like years to take me but was only probably a year or two. My first away was in 1988 away to Everton and the 4-0 Cottee game. I took my Irish Liverpool supporting cousin who couldn't believe our support that day. Being a rather militant cunt I missed a bit of the KK PL years as well the Dogleash and Souness days by having an argument with the ticket people and didn't go back with shit shift patterns/ST culture playing its part. Hard to pick a favourite game but Portsmouth at home, (Kelly), Derby away, (coddington) stand out and the derby you put up was class as well. I love how O'Brien's chip was more a sway down the Roker end than just jumping, just a shame Stevie Watson didn't put the header away near the end. My heart genuinely goes out to those who never saw some of the games when our support was at it's best and when the terraces were a brilliant place to be for a teenager/young drinker.

No idea how many games. My first was Shrewsbury at home in 1983, (just about our only home defeat that year). Like Gemmill my Dad wasn't too bothered about football despite being a Geordie and being at the games as a bairn in the fifties glory years. He had itchy feet and joined the army after the navy told him 'thanks but no thanks' :lol: Anyway, I badgered him for what seemed like years to take me but was only probably a year or two. My first away was in 1988 away to Everton and the 4-0 Cottee game. I took my Irish Liverpool supporting cousin who couldn't believe our support that day. Being a rather militant cunt I missed a bit of the KK PL years as well the Dogleash and Souness days by having an argument with the ticket people and didn't go back with shit shift patterns/ST culture playing its part. Hard to pick a favourite game but Portsmouth at home, (Kelly), Derby away, (coddington) stand out and the derby you put up was class as well. I love how O'Brien's chip was more a sway down the Roker end than just jumping, just a shame Stevie Watson didn't put the header away near the end. My heart genuinely goes out to those who never saw some of the games when our support was at it's best and when the terraces were a brilliant place to be for a teenager/young drinker.

Derby away probably was my favourite game. 90% of your modern Newcastle fans today (and I'm not on about just younguns) ones who jumped on the KK bandwagon, many in their 40's today even, couldn't even begin to understand what that day was like. I was proud to be a geordie and so were the other 5,000 toon fans, in the history of world football few clubs could ever been typified by a game and atmosphere like that. Anyway we lost the game 4-1 with 3 sent off and Terry Mac sent upstairs too. Never been more proud of NUFC though.

Proper fans in those days, proper geordies, no rentboys of various ages that the Sky boom created.

Edited by McFaul

When you've been brought up and schooled in 10 different places, mainly non-Newcastle, like some you might as well be classed as a gypsy, or a posh gypsy thinking about certain people.

Initiate. Purpose of thread.

Derby away probably was my favourite game. 90% of your modern Newcastle fans today (and I'm not on about just younguns) ones who jumped on the KK bandwagon, many in their 40's today even, couldn't even begin to understand what that day was like. I was proud to be a geordie and so were the other 5,000 toon fans, in the history of world football few clubs could ever been typified by a game and atmosphere like that. Anyway we lost the game 4-1 with 3 sent off and Terry Mac sent upstairs too. Never been more proud of NUFC though.

Proper fans in those days, proper geordies, no rentboys of various ages that the Sky boom created.

One of my favourite away rounds was the Baseball ground. Shocking how really distinct grounds like that, Ayresome, Burndon Park and Roker have been turned into bland flatpack souless non-entities of stadiums. Remember Sutton their keeper turning around to our support that day, shrugging his shoulders in apology and saying we were number one by raising his finger, (not the middle one ;) )

Can we have a moment of silent respect for the proper fans of NUFC please? The proper Geordies and what they gave that day. Everybody bow your head and give these men what they're due.

Can we have a moment of silent respect for the proper fans of NUFC please? The proper Geordies and what they gave that day. Everybody bow your head and give these men what they're due.

Nice bit of respect, there Gemm. We gave our hearts and soul so you could get a bit of recognition on your hols as a Geordie. :good:

It's like Born on the Fourth of July. :lol: "You didn't fight that war! You weren't THERE man, you don't KNOW!"

:lol:

No it's not like that, it's more like 'A few good men'. We were the trailblazers, the main men who you shy boys pretended to be on holiday. The trouble is........

giphy.gif

Edited by Howmanheyman

boston-snowstorm-011.jpg

"1989!

The number,

another winter (get down)

Sound of the funky salesman
Music hittin' your heart cause I know you got soul
(Brothers and sisters, hey)
Listen if you're missin' y'all
Swingin' while I'm singin'
Givin' whatcha gettin'
Knowin' what I know
While the CT trudges through the eighties'
And the rhythm rhymes rollin'
Got to give us what we want
Gotta give us what we need
Our freedom of speech is freedom or death
We got to fight the powers that be
Lemme hear you say
Fight the power
Fight the power!"

First game at St James was against Everton in the mid 80s. Everton won but I can barely remember it, not even sure of the score, though, I was so young, but I think there were a few goals in it. I went with my dad, who is an evertonian, though we were in a Newcastle end with some of his Newcastle-supporting friends. My main memory is having to wait outside a boozer while my dad and his mate had a pint. I was only about 6. Liberties!

I haven't been to as many games as probably a lot of uber fans on here. I couldn't give an exact or accurate number I've been to over the years. More than 50 but definitely less than 100.

Edited by Dr Gloom

The one really appealing thing about moving back home is taking my boy to the match every other week. Fuck knows why. My experience in recent years of home games has been pretty disappointing. Crap atmosphere and shit football. Away games have always been a different proposition but even more so these days.

I like the people who ring football phone ins and go "season ticket holder for 30 years" like that obviously makes their opinions more valid.

The amount of absolute backwards mongs at any match shouting slogans from their Sunday league adventures as a fat child is mental. Usually the same people who shout shoot at Tiote and get inexplicably worked up and shout at the ref, he best change his decision mind, cos they have had a season ticket for years.

Love it when they tell a player to have a shot then ban mental when the player does but doesn't score a 25 yard screamer. Used to have some right 'winnets' behind me who only perceived the game in the past 20 seconds or so, i.e. couldn't fathom why a player might be blowing out his arse after sprinting up and down the pitch less the a minute ago. Also thought player x,y or z should be able to run forever and execute a perfect pass every time purely because of their salary. Didn't seem to be able to see what a player was trying to do either when something didn't come off. I don't think they're atypical match goers.

Love it when they tell a player to have a shot then ban mental when the player does but doesn't score a 25 yard screamer. Used to have some right 'winnets' behind me who only perceived the game in the past 20 seconds or so, i.e. couldn't fathom why a player might be blowing out his arse after sprinting up and down the pitch less the a minute ago. Also thought player x,y or z should be able to run forever and execute a perfect pass every time purely because of their salary. Didn't seem to be able to see what a player was trying to do either when something didn't come off. I don't think they're atypical match goers.

The ones that encourage our defense to GET OUT when they're supposed to be defending an opposition free kick do my head in. Usually whips up a state of confusion and nervousness. Gallowgate is definitely worse for it