First Pint or Drink in a pub/club

trooper

I was just turned 17 working in a food warehouse in Felling earning £15 a week after about the 3rd week of working there we decided we'd go out for our dinner that was me and my mate John Anderson (not that one). We were working now & most of the lads went for a pie & pint on Friday (pay day) so we thought we'd try our luck. We tried The Beeswing first only to get laughed at and chased out the pub the landlord was an ex copper. So we tried across the road at The Plough the place was empty. We set the balls up on the pool table & we were both amazed as the guy behind the bar said "what are you having lads" I replied "erm 2 pints of erm lager & 2 pies" we'd cracked it we went back that night and ended up going 2 or 3 times a week until I was 18 and got my club cards for Felling Social Club.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huxter's in Newcastle which was later something Irish-themed I think and then LYH, not sure about now. I was 15 and we'd been for a meal at Chiquitos by the Warner Brothers for my friend's 16th birthday. We were determined to get in somewhere so walked all the way up town and Northumberland Street trying to work up the courage before eventually realising we should really try somewhere otherwise we might as well just get the metro home. :lol: Straight in, no bother. I think I had a taboo and lemonade as I remembered my sister talking about it.

Linked to the first match thread my second away game in march 1980 and when we got back to the town I went with a few lads from shield including the legendary Cliffy Ahmed to the Geordie Pride. Didn't have the balls to get a pint myself so asked one of the older lads to get a pint of scotch for me. It was 3 weeks before my 16th birthday.

Think it might have been when I was about 15 on a Saturday afternoon in 'Le Cafe Noir', which was a hilarious-named wine bar type place situated next to where the escalators were in the then newly completed Eldon Gardens. That whole area was later Scruffy Murphy's then The Goose in the Garden. Thought I was holding it together quite well when I got home until my Mam took one look at me, smelt me breath and said, with barely contained disdain "You smell like your Dad. Where have you been?"

The Brandling Arms in Gosforth on the weekend of my 17th birthday, mainly because it was the first one of the High Street pubs to serve all of us without suspicion. Even once we started ruining their jukebox by playing all the worst songs. #kerrazee

Of course we started drinking at a younger age thanks to the marvellously lax ID policies of Bells Wines by the bus stop. Often Special Brew, based on a careful analysis of the percentage/pence ratio. The fact that booze could actually taste nice took a while to sink in.

Central Park in Newcastle. I was either 14 or 15, probably the latter. I remember being on the escalator at Monument and a bunch of 40-odd year old women pointing over, commenting how young we all looked and pissing themselves laughing. Little did they know though, that I had a fake ID (that I'd made myself) in my pocket. :lol:

Got in and drank whatever I hit on the happy hour spin a wheel, which happened to be a bottle of Holsten Pils for a pound.

In the 80s the best pint in town for me was served at The Haymarket the beer was always spot on. The worst for me was The Red House at the Quayside they served "real ale" for weeks my mates tried to convince me it was great. It was disgusting and flat as a witches tits horrible stuff.

Was 16-17 when I started going to town. Central Park, Dobsons, Bar 42 (hard to get in sometimes) with mates. Thats when I was on £40 a week and gave my Dad £10. Later on started added on Madisons (shit). Didnt take long though before I was going to the Mayfair & Broken Doll on some nights and Walkers on others (total polar opposites).

Central Park in Newcastle. I was either 14 or 15, probably the latter. I remember being on the escalator at Monument and a bunch of 40-odd year old women pointing over, commenting how young we all looked and pissing themselves laughing. Little did they know though, that I had a fake ID (that I'd made myself) in my pocket. :lol:

Got in and drank whatever I hit on the happy hour spin a wheel, which happened to be a bottle of Holsten Pils for a pound.

I had a fake ID but i'd gotten it online, me Dad took it off 'es when he found it though. John Swanson I was called, and I basically became part of the supply chain during attempts to stop every cunt from school getting pissed on a Friday night.

I had a fake ID but i'd gotten it online, me Dad took it off 'es when he found it though. John Swanson I was called, and I basically became part of the supply chain during attempts to stop every cunt from school getting pissed on a Friday night.

I made mine with a proof of age card application form and some letraset trace on letters. I even took it to a shop to get it laminated. The bloke laminating it didn't bat an eyelid. :lol:

My proudest moment was standing in the queue at Central Park one night and as I stepped forward the bouncer said "I've been tearing these up all night son, do you really want to do this?", I handed it to him and he turned it over in his hands, gave it back and ushered me inside. I felt like Di Caprio in Catch Me If You Can.

In fact I've just worked out that I was 15, cos when I was getting it laminated i remember thinking what a twat the bloke was who was getting a t-shirt printed up with ROD, JOE AND THE QUO on it, for the upcoming gig at Gateshead Stadium. :lol: Just checked and that was the summer of 91.

Used to put about a fiver in the video jukebox at Trillians never stayed long enough to see one play. Every Friday it was one pint then move on we must have walked for miles on a Friday night and always ended up at the bottom end of town round the Quayside and have to make a dash for the Haymarket for the last bus home. I remember we finished early one night in the mid 80s at the "Monkey Bar" (Market Lane) we had plenty of time for the bus so we called in to a place called "Bunters" were I was introduced to my first kebab it was marvellous.

In fact I've just worked out that I was 15, cos when I was getting it laminated i remember thinking what a twat the bloke was who was getting a t-shirt printed up with ROD, JOE AND THE QUO on it, for the upcoming gig at Gateshead Stadium. :lol: Just checked and that was the summer of 91.

:lol:

I almost had my first pint at 16 & half got invited to someone out the 6th forms party at The Black Bull at Wardley. Went upstairs and it seemed like half the school were there my mate went to the bar and got the beers in it was something like Double Diamond or Watney's Red Barrel I just picked the glass up and in walks 2 coppers. They seemed shocked at how many under age kids were there they just said "if we left our drinks nobody would be arrested" they were clearly outnumbered that was my first pint in a pub scuppered.

£10 in/all drinks free job on my proper first night out at 15. We couldn't get in where we wanted to go 'cos me pal had trainers on so ended up at this other place which was basically dead. Anyway I got chucked out for trying to sit down where the bar stool wasn't and hit the deck.