Haydnator

Aye, think most feared it after Ant pointed out he was in that worst 11 side just before he signed for us. Waste of time from the looks of it, shame we didn't spend the money on a left back, striker or centre back.

• 4 weeks later...

Aye agree with the posts above, Cabella had a season and we may have started to see something from him as he had a chance to get settled. Instead the club chucked him and got a lad who seems even more fragile (mentally at least) and have given him even less time to show anything.

Deal was bit odd, have to admit. But some of our fans...calling him shit and he should go back to France after a couple of poor performances from the entire team and he was scapegoated for being one of the few players who wanted to beat their man. Only had one real shocker imo vs Sheff Wed. Playing poorly is part and parcel of the game of football though, as much as we don't want it to be. He's young. Give him time.

And I agree with the part of that article where it says we should have put him on vs Norwich when we were 5-2 up instead of vs Man City 6-1 down.

Edited by Haydnator

I think it all depends on his attitude. If he doesnt want to be a success at the toon he can fuck off asap. If he puts the effort in, in training whether or not selected I would give him till the end of the season.....but mclaren needs to play him if so.

I think it all depends on his attitude. If he doesnt want to be a success at the toon he can fuck off asap. If he puts the effort in, in training whether or not selected I would give him till the end of the season.....but mclaren needs to play him if so.

This.

I don't get how someone could spend their life trying to excel at something and then at the first hurdle it's all too difficult and they want to return to where they came from.

If you're good enough to have made to this level, would you not want to push yourself that bit extra?

Mind you Sissoko is a classic example of someone who doesn't understand near enough is not good enough, regardless of what your agent tells.

Think we're calling him shit because he was In ligue1s flops of the season team, and has been woeful thus far and in the past.

I honestly can't believe we paid so much for him

A season after being the best Ligue 1 young player...

There's good player in him, it's up to himself & McClaren and his coaches to get it out of him.

I hope this is speculation otherwise once again we see a player written off after a handful of appearances because they don't turn out to be a huge success straight away. The stick he has been given and the fact he has been singled out when others have gone largely unpunished is a joke and sums up everything wrong at this club right now (and yes that includes some sections of the fans - those who insist on searching high and low for a focus of their abuse). He has shown enough for me that he could be a good player for us, but he needs time and to be brought into games gently, vs Norwich when we were 5-2 up would have been a good opportunity. So much was put on him to be our saviour after the first game that I'm not surprised he is feeling the pressure.

I saw more in Wayne Philips the South Shield's left sided midfield player against Chester le Street on Tuesday night than i've seen and probably will see in Thauvin

Canny wicket-keeper as well.

Absolutely ridiculous to write him off so early. We've clearly been watching him for years so must have seen something in him. His signing has not been like that of Chucky last season where we've just seen an opportunity to get him cheap without knowing anything about him. That's not to say he will definitely be able to transfer the skills we saw from in France over to here, there's always a chance that won't happen. Of course he has to want to make it here but that's the same with every player.

I'm convinced the talk of him being named in the worst eleven in France last season (or named the worst player as some seem to mistakingly believe) has led to people turning on him far sooner than would normally happen. The reality is in half the games he's played he's looked good and the other half he's looked bad. If some of our established players had done that well, we'd be in a better state than we currently are!

I would hazard a guess that the worst XI is usually composed of relatively high profile promising and/or talented players who have under performed rather than being the worst 11 players in the league. Also, who picks it?

I would hazard a guess that the worst XI is usually composed of relatively high profile promising and/or talented players who have under performed rather than being the worst 11 players in the league. Also, who picks it?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Those sorts of lists are always like that. I've no doubt there are other wingers in the French league who played as much as him and delivered less. But they will players who have never been lauded or moved for big transfer fees/wages. There are plenty of our fans gulible enough to just see it as a headline and lap it up.

Edit: Having said that most of the eleven come from the bottom four teams and only Thauvin and Origi are players most of us have ever heard of. But those two were two of most lauded yougsters the previous season so I still think their incclusion is more based on unfulfilled ability rather than being shite.

Edited by David Kelly

it's based on their average ratings for the season in L'equipe, so no he was just consistently bad, there is a separate poll for "most overrated player of the season"

Thauvin topped that as well though :lol:

Aye but then Fekir is on that list which is stupid.

it's based on their average ratings for the season in L'equipe, so no he was just consistently bad, there is a separate poll for "most overrated player of the season"

Yeah I know that but my point is, he would have been getting rated down because he was underperforming rather than that he's just shit. The overall opinion of a player is always going to cloud the judgement of his performance. We all know Williamson is shit so if he has a good game by his standards then he gets marked up even if by a better players standards the performance would be nothing more than average. The same goes for Sissoko. I would have scored him 1's or 2's for most of his performances this season. Not because he's a shit player but because he hasn't been playing to anywhere near the standards he should be.

Aren't these 2 accolades completely contradictory?