Smart Watches

Happy Face

Canny read from Benedict Evans on why the apple watch can work without doing anything new...

http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/8/2/notes-on-apple-watch-and-friction

Anyone got one? I'm sure @@ChezGiven must, but can't find a thread on it.

I've never worn a watch regularly. Don't like the weight on my arm and always happy to use my phone for the time. But I never wore jewellery either and the wedding ring doesn't bother me, so I'm open to being convinced.

Aye, minging.

Would rather waste £100 than £300 though.

That said, looks like you can get the Urbane for about £200 which might be a bigger waste if they're shite, but at least I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear it, so it would have a chance.

Yeah of the ten you sent that's the best looking by a distance - it's actually just a nice looking watch. I'd go for that and like you say you're at least giving it a chance.

Have a look on the Amazon website, there's a short video and a bunch of different views of it. You can see from a profile photo that it's basically as thin as a normal watch which is what you want.

Edited by Gemmill

Nobody has actually explained to me why you'd want want of these. Not on the wind-up here, I just don't get it.

The only benefit I can see is being able to read texts on your wrist. And it's questionable how big a benefit that is.

And I suppose skip tracks and stuff if you're listening to music.

i was at the launch of the yotafone a while back - a russian-made smartphone that's also an e-reader. apparently it's big appeal is being able to look down at it casually during a meeting and see real time updates without it looking to anyone else that you're bored silly and have resorted to checking your phone.

like the smart watch, i couldn't help but think what's the point?

Nobody has actually explained to me why you'd want want of these. Not on the wind-up here, I just don't get it.

That's what I like about the Benedict Evans article. No-one can show you a killer feature that makes it must have. I've never wore a watch, because I have the time on my phone, but I know most people prefer to glance at their watch rather than their phone. It's nothing more than that principle (glancing at your watch is easier than your phone) expanded to reminders, texts, tweets, directions, track skipping, volume adjusting etc.

I fear, like looking at the time, I'd still be happier using my phone for all those things. But for those that wear a watch I assume the benefits they get from using it to tell time would be the same for all those other features.

That's what I like about the Benedict Evans article. No-one can show you a killer feature that makes it must have. I've never wore a watch, because I have the time on my phone, but I know most people prefer to glance at their watch rather than their phone. It's nothing more than that principle (glancing at your watch is easier than your phone) expanded to reminders, texts, tweets, directions, track skipping, volume adjusting etc.

I fear, like looking at the time, I'd still be happier using my phone for all those things. But for those that wear a watch I assume the benefits they get from using it to tell time would be the same for all those other features.

So, it's for people who have more money than sense?

I'd really like one for running but as it doesnt have a GPS it doesnt map your run, just counts distance. Apparently if you use it with the phone GPS then run with it without, it measures your distance accurately from the motion sensor. I still wouldnt have a map of all my runs. You can download music to it so you dont need the phone strapped to your arm. I also like the boarding card thing as this is something that annoys me when am listening to music on the phone when boarding.

When it has GPS am in, the top Garmins are about 300 euros anyway.

I'd really like one for running but as it doesnt have a GPS it doesnt map your run, just counts distance. Apparently if you use it with the phone GPS then run with it without, it measures your distance accurately from the motion sensor. I still wouldnt have a map of all my runs. You can download music to it so you dont need the phone strapped to your arm.I also like the boarding card thing as this is something that annoys me when am listening to music on the phone when boarding.

When it has GPS am in, the top Garmins are about 300 euros anyway.

Aye, boils my piss too, Chez. :good:

Smart watches for smart arses.

Only know one person who has one and he's a good lad who sometimes likes to splash out on techy stuff. I told him it looks shite but he was trying to convince himself, as much as me that it was any real use.