Online home learning courses.

TheGingerQuiff

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the free courses that a lot of the bigger universities offer?

I've never done any of them. I think they could potentially be useful as professional development or could be viewed as glorified resume fluff. It probably depends on the employer and the position.

You could get a job in marketing after an afternoon of blowjob classes, but you're not going to get a job as an accountant after 10 weeks of training in a business class. Accountants have to spend the time to do the whole degree, as it shows any potential employer that they have absolutely no problem with being bored shitless for fucking ages.

Accountants have to spend the time to do the whole degree, as it shows any potential employer that they have absolutely no problem with being bored shitless for fucking ages.

Many employers will now accept spending a night in the pub with The Fish as an alternative to the three year degree.

You can study some industry qualifications at home and they will set your CV apart from others. Things like Prince2 for Project management or CIPD for HR; there's loads out there. Key is to get the one that opens the most doors.. It could also give you a better understanding and make you better at your existing role?

I'm currently trying to convince the office to pay for an SQL qualification, so that I can then convince them to give me a pay rise ;)

As long as it's an accredited qualifiation then absolutely, tbh you wouldn't really be putting on your method of study on your CV anyway. Probably something you could knock out at interview to show initiative and all that bollocks.

Do you need SQL to sit around in your PJs doing nowt like? [emoji6]

Hoping that once I've got the qualification they'll be more content to let me work from home... so maybe? :D

Doing SQL certification is a good learning exercise as nobody uses the full range of features in most jobs but the actual certs themselves are generally ignored by employers.

You mean it's worthwhile studying it so I can do my job better, but don't bother sticking it on the cv because other employers won't break each other's limbs scrapping for my talent?

Aye I reckon programming stuff is a good life skill. If you ever have your killer app idea, you can have a stab at a prototype yourself and get rich.

I've got one btw. I just have no programming skills. I will gift it to somebody on here right now.

Lots of people have poker nights. But having to deal is a major pain in the arse and usually home games run at an absolute crawl, particularly when people have had a few drinks. But everyone around the table has a smartphone and usually someone has an ipad

All they need is an app so that the iPad can sit in the middle of the table and show the board (flop, turn river). Everyone can see their hands on their phones - by default it remains faced own, you tap the screen to get a flash of what your hand is.

You hit a button on the iPad to turn the next board card over and when it's time for a new hand, all you have to do is press a button and everyone gets a new hand.

You could still play with physical chips cos people like to do that, but the app could keep track of chip counts to save having to count up when someone goes all in or when you're cashing out at the end of the night.

There you go, I'm a genius, now go and make some money. If you're a good person, you'll give me some of it.

Hoping that once I've got the qualification they'll be more content to let me work from home... so maybe? :D

You mean it's worthwhile studying it so I can do my job better, but don't bother sticking it on the cv because other employers won't break each other's limbs scrapping for my talent?

Being able to answer the type of questions asked as part of the certification at interviews is the benefit more than an actual line on a CV.

I did some of my basic H&S qualifications as home study while I was working. They are accredited courses though so its not just skipping through a few slides and a multiple choice at the end.

Its a pretty bad way to learn mind, after a full day of work picking up the books is a chore.

What do you do now Fish if you don't mind me asking? No longer in charge of the control room at Sun Hill?

Data stuff for a booze research company. Basically, the company sends researchers all over the shop to get accurate volume/value/price figures for booze, and to get an idea of trends and what not. Sell the data to producers, distributors, investment firms etc. Not brilliantly paid, but enjoy the work and the people are dead nice (and normally up for a drink or two).

Aye I reckon programming stuff is a good life skill. If you ever have your killer app idea, you can have a stab at a prototype yourself and get rich.

I've got one btw. I just have no programming skills. I will gift it to somebody on here right now.

Lots of people have poker nights. But having to deal is a major pain in the arse and usually home games run at an absolute crawl, particularly when people have had a few drinks. But everyone around the table has a smartphone and usually someone has an ipad

All they need is an app so that the iPad can sit in the middle of the table and show the board (flop, turn river). Everyone can see their hands on their phones - by default it remains faced own, you tap the screen to get a flash of what your hand is.

You hit a button on the iPad to turn the next board card over and when it's time for a new hand, all you have to do is press a button and everyone gets a new hand.

You could still play with physical chips cos people like to do that, but the app could keep track of chip counts to save having to count up when someone goes all in or when you're cashing out at the end of the night.

There you go, I'm a genius, now go and make some money. If you're a good person, you'll give me some of it.

Surely you don't even need a central iPad, just have the river replicated on everybody's phone? When the previous hand/round is decided and tallied, the program automatically deals the next hand/card?

Being able to answer the type of questions asked as part of the certification at interviews is the benefit more than an actual line on a CV.

Ayem, that's how I'm selling it to the office.

If I study this material I'll actually be able to do my job!

IS THIS A FUCKING DRAGONS DEN THREAD?

Is this supervisory management course I've decided to do at Stonebridge college going to be taken seriously. I was almost promoted a couple of years ago only, every manager endorsed me then one fat wanker who'd been with the company for a month veto'd. He left a couple of months later. So I thought I'd do this https://www.stonebridge.uk.com/course/supervisory-management to give me an edge over the other internal applicants that won't have done anything similar. Is it at all recognised or is it only good for the impeccable display of initiative I'm showing?