Online home learning courses.

TheGingerQuiff

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IS THIS A FUCKING DRAGONS DEN THREAD?

Is this supervisory management course I've decided to do at Stonebridge college going to be taken seriously. I was almost promoted a couple of years ago only, every manager endorsed me then one fat wanker who'd been with the company for a month veto'd. He left a couple of months later. So I thought I'd do this https://www.stonebridge.uk.com/course/supervisory-management to give me an edge over the other internal applicants that won't have done anything similar. Is it at all recognised or is it only good for the impeccable display of initiative I'm showing?

Focus on getting the small things nailed down before moving on to more in depth stuff. How long does it take you to make a perfect Big Mac? You can't blame Grimace for your shortcomings. We'll revisit management level decisions, like when the ice cream machine needs a clean, when you're sub-90 seconds.

So, online courses. Recognised or not? I'll fail anyway, they keep setting me a number of words target for my answers that I'm just ignoring. 500 requested 270 submitted in my latest. Maybe it's because I'm so articulate that I can use one word for things they need five for.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

So, online courses. Recognised or not? I'll fail anyway, they keep setting me a number of words target for my answers that I'm just ignoring. 500 requested 270 submitted in my latest. Maybe it's because I'm so articulate that I can use one word for things they need five for.

I think what NJS said is pertinent. They might not make your CV stand out all that much, but you'll be better able to answer questions/put forward ideas in an interview/promotion board?

you're like the anti-fish

Aye you could do it that way too, this was just to retain the poker table experience. Admit it though, it's a great money-spinner that I will never make a single penny from.

Reminds me of my idea (in about 2007) of kiosks in music shops/Apple Stores where you could plug your iPod in and download music from iTunes that was installed. In hindsight, universal mobile internet and the rise of music streaming was probably a bigger money spinner but there was that 6 months where actual shops still mattered where I could have made off into the night with millions before anyone realised there was a better way.

You lazy shits just need to suck it up and do an accountancy qualification like your hero. You can do a MOOC on the Rolling Stones ffs, I'm not taking it seriously no matter how much you beg.

Any idiot can do an accountancy qualification. I know a few examples of that. Me being the main one!

I would take it into consideration personally and it would certainly make your application for a position more attractive. Any manager would be stupid not to take these things into consideration.

For an internal position though, you've got to also factor in office politics and your general ability at your job. For instance, what do you do now, and what are you hoping to be promoted into?

I would take it into consideration personally and it would certainly make your application for a position more attractive. Any manager would be stupid not to take these things into consideration.

For an internal position though, you've got to also factor in office politics and your general ability at your job. For instance, what do you do now, and what are you hoping to be promoted into?

He currently chops the onions and gherkins, he's hoping to get behind the counter, after that, the assistant manager job is only a step away. :good:

He currently chops the onions and gherkins, he's hoping to get behind the counter, after that, the assistant manager job is only a step away. :good:

The only burgers in our place are the ones served up by Pissy Fingers Sean, aptly named after some lads seen him having a piss in a urinal, not washing his hands then heading straight back to his little serving canopy.

You can study some industry qualifications at home and they will set your CV apart from others. Things like Prince2 for Project management or CIPD for HR; there's loads out there. Key is to get the one that opens the most doors.. It could also give you a better understanding and make you better at your existing role?

I'm currently trying to convince the office to pay for an SQL qualification, so that I can then convince them to give me a pay rise ;)

Funny enough I just got an email this morning about:

https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-sql

It's only a preview at the moment but they are launching the full course soon.

The good thing about SQL is that not everyone in your workplace is going to know it, and it allows you to get unique extractions out of the system which your co-workers wouldn't otherwise be able to produce. This in turns allows you to draw correlations that your managers may not know about.

All of which looks good.

I don't think there's every any harm in self improvement - I don't have a qualification for SQL for instance, but I spent 2 years learning it as I went along and have a pretty strong grasp now - at least insofar as being able to surpass everyone else in my organisation anyway, which means senior management tend to include me in things that I may not otherwise be party to.

I have to admit that I sometimes have to bring extractions into Excel for Vlookups and things but I'd otherwise agree. Once you know how to write the extraction, SQL is really logical. Excel is a nightmare by comparison.

Edited by Rayvin

I've been translating accounting stuff for so long that I reckon I know as much about IFRS etc. as some of the people preparing the accounts (if not more), been thinking about getting some kind of qualification to prove it, but there's not really much point if I don't intend to do anything with it, I suppose...

Likewise I should/could probably go and swot up for something like a GCSE in Swedish with the knowledge I've got tucked away in my head somewhere, but there'd be no obvious benefit professionally. Other than being able to swear magnificently. Which is actually quite tempting.