Saudi Arabia

Park Life

it'a not just the saudis either, is it? they're the worst, probably, but even some of the arab states with healthy expat communities are barbaric. i wonder why people want to go and work in these places.

i remember reading a couple of years ago that an english couple were jailed for kissing on a beach in dubai. you need a license to have a drink there ffs. there's no job offer or amount of money that could tempt me to go and live in a backwater where basic freedoms like getting pissed, kissing your mrs in public, or eating during daylight hours during ramadan ffs are denied. even holding your wife's hand can get you in trouble.

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Them and Qatar are the main money men for terrorism.

s-BUSHANDSAUDIS-large.jpg

Evidently, the situation has not improved since Hillary Clinton was secretary of state. Late last year, Vice President Biden caused a stir by undiplomatically speaking the truth at an event at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, saying:

"Our allies in the region were our largest problem in Syria. The Turks were great friends... [and] the Saudis, the Emirates, etcetera. What were they doing?.... They poured hundreds of millions of dollars and tens of tons of weapons into anyone who would fight against Assad -- except that the people who were being supplied, [they] were al-Nusra, and al-Qaeda, and the extremist elements of jihadis who were coming from other parts of the world."

More recently, the Saudi role in promoting extremism has come under renewed scrutiny. Calls for declassifying the redacted 28 pages of the 9/11 congressional commission have been getting stronger. And statements from the lead author of the report, former Florida Sen. Bob Graham, suggest they are being hidden because they "point a very strong finger at Saudi Arabia as the principal financier" of the 9/11 hijackers. He has been unusually explicit, "Saudi Arabia has not stopped its interest in spreading extreme Wahhabism. ISIS...is a product of Saudi ideals, Saudi money and Saudi organizational support, although now they are making a pretense of being very anti-ISIS."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-yousaf-butt-/saudi-wahhabism-islam-terrorism_b_6501916.html

More backstory but a little kinder to the Jihadi's (saying most are not so religious)...

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2014/11/wahhabism-isis-how-saudi-arabia-exported-main-source-global-terrorism

Dearlove … sees Saudi strategic thinking as being shaped by two deep-seated beliefs or attitudes. First, they are convinced that there “can be no legitimate or admissible challenge to the Islamic purity of their Wahhabi credentials as guardians of Islam’s holiest shrines”. But, perhaps more significantly given the deepening Sunni-Shia confrontation, the Saudi belief that they possess a monopoly of Islamic truth leads them to be “deeply attracted towards any militancy which can effectively challenge Shia-dom”.

Western governments traditionally play down the connection between Saudi Arabia and its Wahhabist faith, on the one hand, and jihadism, whether of the variety espoused by Osama bin Laden and al-Qa’ida or by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s Isis. There is nothing conspiratorial or secret about these links: 15 out of 19 of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, as was Bin Laden and most of the private donors who funded the operation.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/why-does-the-u-s-support-saudi-arabia-a-country-which-hosts-and-finances-islamic-terrorism-on-behalf-of-washington/5398408

Edited by Park Life

Defenders of the Saudi death penalty say beheadings, usually with a single sword stroke, are at least as humane as lethal injections in the United States. They deplore any comparison between the kingdom's execution of convicted criminals and Islamic State's extra-judicial killing of innocent hostages.

But rights activists say they are more concerned by the justice system behind the death penalty in the kingdom than by its particular method of execution. And critics of the Al Saud ruling family say the latest wave of executions may have a political message, with Riyadh determined to demonstrate its toughness at a moment of regional turmoil.

Saudi Arabia beheaded 26 people in August, more than in the first seven months of the year combined. The total for the year now stands at 59, compared to 69 for all of last year, according to Human Rights Watch. "

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/20/us-saudi-execution-idUSKCN0I91G220141020

They are savages NSFW. Beatings and rape of foreign workers and women for whatever made up reason.

To put it into context when this ocassionally happens in India or Pakistan the culprits are hunted down and justice is served and the Govt denounce the behavior. The world media goes into a frenzy about it. Happens in Saudi there is hardly a peep about it and what does count for criticism is often couched in careful wording. Migrant workers are basically slaves and live in fear of their lives and person.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4a6_1441674890

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=813_1372118052

Edited by Park Life

I think we all agree that killing someone as a punishment is barbaric, the issue for me is more the crimes that return a death penalty verdict:

In the States the crimes punishable by death are:

Causing death by using a chemical weapon or a weapon of mass destruction

Killing a member of the Congress, the Cabinet or United States Supreme Court

Kidnapping a member of the Congress, the Cabinet or Supreme Court resulting in death

Conspiracy to kill a member of the Congress, the Cabinet or Supreme Court resulting in death

Causing death by using an explosive

Causing death by using an illegal firearm

Causing death during a drug-related drive-by shooting

Genocide resulting in death

Carjacking resulting in death

Willful destruction of aircraft or motor vehicles resulting in death.

Causing death by aircraft hijacking or any attempt to commit aircraft hijacking.

Causing death by kidnapping or hostage taking.

First degree murder

Murder perpetrated by poison or lying in wait

Murder that is willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated

Murder in the perpetration of, or in the attempt to perpetrate, any arson, torture, escape, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery.

Murder perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children

Murder committed by a federal prisoner or an escaped federal prisoner sentenced to 15 years to life or a more severe penalty

Assassinating the President or a member of his staff

Kidnapping the President or a member of his staff resulting in death

Killing persons aiding Federal investigations or State correctional officers

Willful wrecking of a train resulting in death

Sexual abuse resulting in death

Sexual exploitation of children resulting in death

Torture resulting in death

War crimes resulting in death

Large-scale drug trafficking

Attempting, authorizing or advising the killing of any officer, juror, or witness in cases involving a Continuing Criminal Enterprise, even if such killing does not occur.

Espionage

Treason

All but 4 of these are just different descriptions of 'a crime that causes death'.

In Saudi, however, the death penalty is meted out for:

Adultery (Unmarried adulterers can be sentenced to 100 lashes, married ones can be sentenced to stoning.)

Apostasy (Apostates are sentenced to beheading but are usually given three days to repent and return to Islam.)

Armed robbery

Blasphemy

Burglary

Carjacking

Aircraft hijacking

Drug smuggling

Fornication

Home invasion

Sodomy, homosexuality, or lesbianism (If a man or woman is sodomized by their own consent, then they will also be sentenced to death along with the sodomizer)

Idolatry

Murder

Rape

Sedition

Sexual misconduct

Sorcery

Terrorism

Theft (fourth conviction)

Treason

Waging war on God

Witchcraft

I mean, let us set aside the fact their omnipotent deity needs so much protection from men saying mean words about him, but for fucks sake, Sorcery? Witchcraft? It's 2015.

It's the fornication bit which has me stumped.

Naah, it's already been done for me by others. Fwiw I also get your points, I just think they're incredibly pedantic and/or facile. You love an excuse to have a go at the west and specifically the US like, quite impressive how you managed it on a thread about Saudi though. :D

Naah, it's already been done for me by others. Fwiw I also get your points, I just think they're incredibly pedantic and/or facile. You love an excuse to have a go at the west and specifically the US like, quite impressive how you managed it on a thread about Saudi though. :D

Fair enough.

I thought I was arguing for more nuance than "they're all savages". I think it's facile to reduce the Saudi political and religious situation which the west fully supports, to a shoulder shrug and "They're medieval bastards eh?"

Fair enough.

I thought I was arguing for more nuance than "they're all savages". I think it's facile to reduce the Saudi political and religious situation which the west fully supports, to a shoulder shrug and "They're medieval bastards eh?"

Maybe in your opinion it is but I'd personally say it's a fair opinion crudely expressed. Their justice system is roughly equivalent to medieval Europe imo. But yeah, I'd go further and say the misogyny of Saudi society is utterly sickening, as well as many other aspects of their society. I'd liken it to cancer in fact, in the way this malignancy is spreading. Is that shocking? Perhaps, but no more so than a liberal such as yourself indirectly defending it through facile comparisons with some US states. :) Edited by Renton