The Official EU in or out thread.

Park Life

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always been in two minds - I think the size is a plus when considering dealing with big fish like China, India and the US and some of the social protection in the face of Tory abuse is worthwhile but it lacks democracy for me.

I do think it would probably cost jobs overall if the UK withdrew - at least in the short/medium term.

I've always been in two minds - I think the size is a plus when considering dealing with big fish like China, India and the US and some of the social protection in the face of Tory abuse is worthwhile but it lacks democracy for me.

I do think it would probably cost jobs overall if the UK withdrew - at least in the short/medium term.

That's about it for me too, particularly the 'Tory abuse' bit.

The EU is alright in my book - I enjoy the freedom of movement and the encouragement for blending cultures. It's a step towards a generally better vision for the world.

That said, it also has the capacity to be hijacked and turned into something unpleasant. But hey, so does the queen.

We will stay in. Brits are far too risk averse to take a plunge into the unknown. Look at the recent referendums in Scotland and on the alternative vote. We will do for the devil we know.

For what it's worth I agree with NJS. It should be more democratic but we're better off in the club where our voice can be heard.

I wouldn't be so sure about us staying in. There are so many in this country obsessed with immigration, and if they can be convinced that leaving the EU will give us greater control over our borders, then we'll be leaving the EU.

The job loss thing is nonsense and pure scaremongering. We run a huge deficit with the EU and Germany is our biggest trade partner no idea how anyone can site any argument that they would take out punitive tariffs or barriers against us. BMW and VW make cars in the UK ffs! :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Why are Ireland in the EU anyway? Voted against it (Lisbon)and then a few years later got totally cleaned out by it. ;)

The only upside was Bono lost half his fortune in the building scams.

Edited by Park Life

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-dirty-dozen-the-12-men-who-together-destroyed-our-economy-26798490.html

Shortly after becoming Taoiseach, Mr Cowen presided over a series of unfortunate events. Among the disastrous decisions for which the Offaly politician will go down in history are the infamous 2008 bank guarantee, the January 2009 nationalisation of Anglo Irish Bank, and the ceding of Ireland's economic sovereignty to the EU, IMF and ECB in November 2010."

Edited by Park Life

Ireland joined the single currency in 1999. At the time it was enjoying healthy growth, fuelled by investment from high-tech multinationals such as Dell, Intel and Pfizer, attracted by Ireland’s low 12.5 percent rate of corporation tax.

But after the Irish turned over their currency and their interest rates to the European Central Bank in Frankfurt, things began to change.

The ECB insisted upon low interest rates for the eurozone to help the sluggish German economy. But what suited Germany was all wrong for Ireland, turning healthy growth into a debt-fuelled property mania.

First the Euro-enthusiasts across the EU fostered the idea that, since all the members of eurozone shared a single currency and had promised to adhere to strict limits on debt and inflation, they were all equal in risk.

This fiction led investors to imagine lending to Greece or Ireland was no more risky than lending to Germany or the Netherlands.

So Irish banks were free to suck in billions from Asia and Europe.

These billions - many of which came from the City of London - were what fuelled Ireland’s asset bubble. ECB policy made sure the money was lent on to Irish property speculators at real interest rates that were actually negative.

So in 2007 Ireland built half as many houses as Britain, which has more than 13 times its population."

Arse raped. ;)

Edited by Park Life

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's good but a bit light.

Generally the left have the wrong position on the Eu which resists reform and continues to advance the cause of Big Business. Varoufakis understands it more now only cause he's been in those meetings where his points were met with silence.

Edited by Park Life