OK - Lets pretend the Fat Freddie sacks Souness in

Lazarus

(thought i'd try and start some contructive discussion about the possible future managers).

Allardyce? he wants the england job and is biding his time until after the world cup. and judging by svens recent exploits - he'll get it in the summer.

o'neill? wants to stay at home to look after his wife who is still very ill.

what about current league managers? obviously the likes of wenger, bnitez, jol, mourinho, ferguson are non starters.

other possibilities include pearce, pardew, coleman, moyes, jewell, and hughes but i reckon they'll want to continue with their current clubs.

o'leary? will want to stay with villa hoping the club is bought out asap so he

can spend, spend, spend again.

so that leaves:

curbishley ? - may be the right time for a new challenge.

bruce? see above, not sure toon fans would want him though

mcclaren? cant see him joining another north east team.

robson? the toon would be a step up the career ladder, not sure toon fans would want him though

so domestically - i reckon it would have to be curbishley.

overseas candidates such as hiddink and hitzfeld have both ruled themselves out.

maybe we could discuss possible candidates from other divisions and other countries.

:(

Edited by Lazarus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he goes tomorrow, I'd hope he gives it to Roeder for the remainder of the season and spend that time searching for a suitable long-term replacement...

My overwellming hope is that Shearer is not given the job at a ANY point.

I hope that a suitable temporary appointment is made, IE Keegan, Roeder/Beardsley appointment is made, if not, I hope hope a suitable perminent appointment is made, IE Le Guen or Hitzfeld although I have serious doubts that either would consider the job.

When have Hiddink and Hitzfeld ruled themselves out?

82872[/snapback]

Hiddink did the other day.....

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3414

82876[/snapback]

I realise that, but I'd like to see some quotes, rather than Oliver's word.

I don't think Hiddink would be the man anyway, got enough on his plate with the Aussies.

Keegan as a short term manager.

Whatever you say about Keegan tactically, in my opinion, he is the best motivator in the world of football, and that is exactly what we need right now.

Back at the end of Willie McFaul's reign, my uncle Roger in Sweden wrote to the club and applied for the post of manager, offering his extensive experience - including 20 years as a local sports journalist and a string of dodgy appearances for various 6th division part-timers in his youth - in exchange for a salary of one (1) sack of potatoes per week.

Surely, surely his time has come?

Back at the end of Willie McFaul's reign, my uncle Roger in Sweden wrote to the club and applied for the post of manager, offering his extensive experience - including 20 years as a local sports journalist and a string of dodgy appearances for various 6th division part-timers in his youth - in exchange for a salary of one (1) sack of potatoes per week.

82889[/snapback]

82889[/snapback]

82891[/snapback]

Sign him !

Anyone but Roeder.

If we were to get someone on a temporary basis until May, I'd look at someone like Venables, Graham, or Keegan..wouldn't let Roeder anywhere near the manager's seat in the dugout though.

82906[/snapback]

Dear God, no! Graham is just another dour, unimaginative version of Souness and as for "El Tel", words fail to describe the utter horror I would feel if he was appointed.

Anyone but Roeder.

If we were to get someone on a temporary basis until May, I'd look at someone like Venables, Graham, or Keegan..wouldn't let Roeder anywhere near the manager's seat in the dugout though.

82906[/snapback]

Dear God, no! Graham is just another dour, unimaginative version of Souness and as for "El Tel", words fail to describe the utter horror I would feel if he was appointed.

82909[/snapback]

I think they're just a case of "anyone but Roeder".

Seriously though, anyone who could take a side consisting of James, Repka, Sinclair, Cole, Defoe, Kanoute & Di Canio into the First Division would be a disaster waiting to happen here.

Anyone but Roeder.

82906[/snapback]

82909[/snapback]

Seriously though, anyone who could take a side consisting of James, Repka, Sinclair, Cole, Defoe, Kanoute & Di Canio into the First Division would be a disaster waiting to happen here.

82910[/snapback]

And what is this compared to someone capable of taking a team with Given, Babayaro, Boumsong, Bowyer, Solano, Shearer, Luque* into a serious relegation fight...

* note that I did not include injured players

Anyone but Roeder.

82906[/snapback]

82909[/snapback]

82910[/snapback]

And what is this compared to someone capable of taking a team with Given, Babayaro, Boumsong, Bowyer, Solano, Shearer, Luque* into a serious relegation fight...

82913[/snapback]

Six and two-threes tbh.

Anyone but Roeder.

82906[/snapback]

82909[/snapback]

82910[/snapback]

82913[/snapback]

Six and two-threes tbh.

82914[/snapback]

Well I just got back from a drinking night. I try to decipher it in a couple of hours... :(

Anyone but Roeder.

82906[/snapback]

82909[/snapback]

82910[/snapback]

82913[/snapback]

Six and two-threes tbh.

82914[/snapback]

Well I just got back from a drinking night. I try to decipher it in a couple of hours... :o

82916[/snapback]

He means they're much of a muchness (i.e. both the same) my drunken German friend! :(

Personally I disagree and believe Roeder would be a huge improvement over Souness in the short term. He did OK with West Ham initially, and it has to be remembered West Ham were unlucky to be relegated that year with 42 points - a total that looks increasingly beyond us.

Then again, I think anyone would be an improvement. When Souness said at the start of his tenure he didn't believe in tactics, I didn't know he meant it literally. No manager would be a huge improvement now tbh.

If he goes tomorrow, I'd hope he gives it to Roeder for the remainder of the season and spend that time searching for a suitable long-term replacement...

82869[/snapback]

Agree. A combination of Roeder and Beardsley or Shearer can't be worse than what we've got at the moment.

Le Guen is available. I read last week that he has turned down a number of offers, but would quite like to manage outside of France.

82870[/snapback]

That would be a good move.

From Lard lads point of view: someone else has already pointed this out (Leazes I think) He only see's one problem at a time when appointing managers:

Keegan goes - Well he faltered under the pressure, we'll appoint someone used to winning titles.

Dalgliesh - Boring, ineffective football alienating the fans. Let's have some sexy football.

Gullet - Completely out of touch with the area, aloof. Let's bring in a local man.

Robson - Too old, players taking the piss out of him (the over-payed millionaire twats). Bring in a disciplinerian.

Souness - tactical thick bastard, can't motivate millionaires, out-moded training and coaching methods, dislikes/can't communicate with players who aren't as good as he was. Bring in a motivator, someone who can work on a budget, someone who can get the best out of an average squad, someone who can wheel and deal.

Likely solution: Allardyce, Jewell, Warnock, Dowie.

Its funny how a lot of people have forgotten about Iain Dowie. Last year, he was one of the names most people were putting about when souey was under pressure last season. He's still done a hell of a job at palace despite them being back in the Championship.

Jewell seems to have struck it lucky with Wigan but didnt do so well with Bradford.

Allardyce plays long ball football - i cant see many people being too happy with that style of play up here.

Keegan - did it with us first time round but then had faltering success with Fulham, Citeh and England. His return would stain his status if he came back as we'd never be as good 2nd time around.

Graham - too long out of the game. Boring Boring Arsenal.