Newcastle United v Liverpool (6/12/15 16:00 ko Sky)

Haydnator

I know he scored 2 goals yesterday from LM but I think Wijnaldum needs moved inside, when he got on the ball yesterday (well the very few times he did) he looked composed and took the ball past their players with ease. Having him and Dummett on the left means we hardly see the ball down that side and everything comes down the right wing.

Agree with that, his goals only really came when he had drifted centrally in the 2nd half (which it seems like he was told too as in the first he barely got a touch), it's a complete waste having him in front of Dummett as Dummett's control and passing is horrific it just never looks under control until he eventually just belts it up field.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with that, his goals only really came when he had drifted centrally in the 2nd half (which it seems like he was told too as in the first he barely got a touch), it's a complete waste having him in front of Dummett as Dummett's control and passing is horrific it just never looks under control until he eventually just belts it up field.

agree

i know you don't change a winning side but i would probably drop one of anita or colack (probably colback on yesterday's performance as anita was quality), move sissoko to a deep central midfield position but give him the license to get forward and support the front players, move wijnaldum inside too, just behind the striker, which probably means dropping de jong, and try thauvin and perez on the flanks behind mitrovic.

all of that after our performance of the season :lol:

Edited by Dr Gloom

Fucking get in ! Cisse has never been able to hold the ball up, but he's better than he gets credit for as a goalscorer, he just hardly ever gets the defence splitting pass he needs (like cabaye could do, for example).

Anyhoo, what a match - fully expected them to cave in for the second half.

Biggest thing I got out of this, say what you want about McLaren, but he's got to be a better actual coach than anything we've had in years, because our corners actually reached their targets! Ok we didn't score from them but I don't think our players are ever expecting the ball to make it past the first man! :)

Really hope they keep the energy and effort up, I'm forgetting history and waiting till the next match.

I think Moreno might have seen the flag go up too like. Might not have tried it otherwise. In any case, them being denied a legitimate goal makes the victory even sweeter. And I think we deserved it because we wanted it more. They lacked intensity.

It was a cross, just by looking at his body shape and the position he was facing he was trying to play it into the box. It was well onside but fuck them, that's the sort of break we are always on the end of (Vardy was offside in the Leicester game).

As pleasing as it was to check the result and find that we had actually not lost this game, it doesn't change anything for me, materially. We're still shit, and but for a lucky deflection and a bizarre decision from the officials, we'd have likely drawn or lost this. I would actually suggest that the fact we went a full half of football without conceding was the most encouraging thing - but I wonder if that wasn't just down to Liverpool not being arsed?

Anyway, what surprised me about this was that I hate Liverpool, and I just barely cared that we won. There was a flicker of excitement at the scoreline but it was caught up very quickly by the act of remembering how generally shit we are and all that's wrong with the club. I recall thinking I was over the emotion before the Norwich game, but that brought me all the way back again because it felt like we might be turning a corner. The bitter reality of what followed that, though, makes me hugely opposed to getting anything approaching my hopes up. This result does nothing for me in the overall scheme of things this season; if we get a result against Spurs, beat Villa, and start picking up some decent players in January, I'll probably come back around. Until that, 2-0 vs Liverpool is more likely another false dawn than anything of any real significance.

The Son of Gloom

@@Howay

Aye, completely agree with the 'giant killing' patter that the media serve up on a regular basis. Two clubs with different form no doubt, but at the end of the day you've got a PL side playing at home in front of 50,000 screaming Geordie's* against another PL side albeit in good form, it isn't North Shields v Liverpool, it's Newcastle United v Liverpool.

*put that in for any mackems reading. Alright lads? :good: Don't tell anyone, but I have it on good authority that Martin Tyler PERSONALLY asked to commentate on our match and indeed both he and Liverpudlian, Alan Parry, had to be pulled off each other such is their love of Tyneside's premier football club and their craving to both be the men on the mic when the black & whites are in action. I can also confirm that, just as one of your posters on RTG predicted, Mrs Tyler did indeed get a good shafting that same night as Martin was still rock hard in the trouser department from his excitement of Gini wrapping the game up in injury time. All the best, a Mag back from work.

SdJ wasn't as sharp in possession as I would have liked, attacks often seemed to break down when he got involved. That said, he was instrumental in transition play; Changing defence into attack.

Cisse deserves plaudits for the shift he put in, but a better striker probably would have scored against a lackluster Liverpool.
Thought Dummet played at near his best, but his best is nowhere near good enough. Ibe, Milner and later Firmino time and again tore him a new one. Also, up the other end of the pitch were huge gaps that a more complete fullback would have been able to take advantage of. He needs replacing as a priority.
Colo, de Jong & Janmaat were very, very vocal and that paid dividends. There was a moment in the second half where we were defending a throw in, when a runner from midfield was spotted by Janmaat and he instructed Anita to cover. Now, big Vurn had a good game (best since West Ham), but he's still guilty of being unaware of the runners from deep. Would that run have lead to a goal? Who knows, but I'm glad we didn't find out.
Taking Colback off made sense, he was on a yellow and tiring.
Bringing Gouffran on made selling Abeid rank up there with selling Hughes in the "Most Regrettable & Inexplicable Transfers" by Newcastle.
The second goal is the kind of goal we should be replicating game after game; Win the ball in the centre, immediately work it out wide, runners through the centre, high probability cross, goal. Lovely stuff.
tl;dr We done a good sportsing day
Edited by The Fish