Kodi

Christmas Tree

Thought it was worth having a separate topic.

Does anyone know the current best build (not version) to upgrade to.

Heard TBE was good but that's gone offline in the last few days.

How to Install Kodi

You can install Kodi on loads of devices. Mobile, tablet, laptop, Firestick, firebox, Raspberry Pi etc

Their download page is here - http://kodi.tv/download/

Easiest is to PC or phone/tablet as it's a straight install from their site or your app store

For other devices like the Pi or firestick you'll need more detailed instruction. Here's the firestick install guide.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-kodi-on-amazon-fire-tv/

How to add content

Once you're able to access Kodi you need to install add ons. Add ons are like channels so you can get ones that are full of sport or TV or movies or music or web cams or whatever. Their popularity rises and falls depending on how much the provider maintains them so you need to keep on top of which one you're using.

The method to install an add on is the same every time

1. Add the source (just a web address and name)

2. Install from Zip

3. Install from repository/Enable add on

Here's the detailed (simple) instruction for how to add robocop (includes Premier League Pass)

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-operation-robocop-video-add-on-kodi/

Everyone has an opinion on which add ons to install. CT likes the beast, which links to ALL add-ons there are and gives you a heaving catalogue of anything you could imagine. I like Just Robocop and Genesis which provide sports/film and TV between them.

Is the old one obsolete now like? I've just fucking managed to get that cunt working?

He was basically saying last night that he wasn't going to be maintaining it anymore.

Must admit this Beast TV took about 30 minutes to install on the fire stick and seems very fast and easy to use.

Football on the TV is a quality picture (premier league pass).

6163598cd138a0e480039cf8aaaa9714.jpg

Like been able to flick through movies / tv series like book cover as well.

93749d4dbecfe7d1508644acb9030c94.jpg

Edited by Christmas Tree

listening to that video i'm glad i can set this stuff up myself without having to use someones "build", sounds like a complete moron

Aye he doesn't sound too clever :lol:

Seems to be the Grand Master of this sort of thing though. In my younger days I would have had a go of getting into the nuts and bolts of doing it myself. These days my IT skills are extremely limited.

Has someone got a guide to install kodi on one of these fire sticks and can they tell me does it run better than a raspberry pi. I gave up on that in the end just cos it was so fucking slow and forever crashing.

Cheers.

Has someone got a guide to install kodi on one of these fire sticks and can they tell me does it run better than a raspberry pi. I gave up on that in the end just cos it was so fucking slow and forever crashing.

Cheers.

I can see your dilemma, think I might pass you onto Ant for this one, if that's alright? :good:

making on from scratch? it'd be fiddly, installing someone elses... couple of button presses

system settings > apperance > skin > get more

pick one

i can recommend Amber, it's really fast and has a lot of the extra features without completely lagging the shite out of those wee android/raspbi setups

(if you're on a RaspBI rev.b you can overclock it quite happily as well)

Is Amber a "build" Ant.

Cheers.

Easiest way is to stick it in your HDMI on your telly and install it through Amazon. It's a piece of piss and takes less than 10 minutes.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-kodi-on-fire-tv-without-adb-fire-computer/

Once you've done that you can use the same method to install Fire Starter. This lets you launch Kodi / return to Amazon by double clicking the home button.

Cheers CT. The tables have turned here mind, getting tech advice from you. ;) And do I just buy a normal one of these fire sticks off Amazon?

That's all I'm using.

There's also a bigger version called a fire TV which is a box rather than a little plug in.

The Tekkies also go on about an mate quad which is around £50 and more powerful but I really don't know much more than the few comments I've read.

I know Ant isn't keen on them but the Builds are also installed in a few minutes and have all the add ons done in a lovely easy to use interface. Ideal if you just want to be up and away.

the interface doesn't change because it's a build

you install kodi, that big menu along the bottom still has videos/movies/tv shows/programs etc

you install genesis for example, in the program section it has Genesis..click it, same as your "builds"

all the builds do is say you have 10x movie apps installed for some reason, he's went into the settings and changed the "movie" item shortcut to open one of those things by default or go into a sub menu (super favourites) where you pick from those apps. Plus installing addons for subtitles or weather/thumbnail scraping all of which is easy anyway.

you can even see it in that video the first minute he literally says

"i've gone all out in this one, if you hit movies...boom goes into genesis" and if ya look at the top left corner he's using "super favorites" to create the menu structure to open the addons

Honestly you'd be better off reading a "2015 best addons for kodi" type post and picking what you want

Personally i think it looks crap and runs slow in comparison, i used a spare sd card to nosey at it...18hrs in it still hadn't finished trying to library my movies/tv shows off the nas, normally takes 2-3hrs for 4-5tb

it's basically just a bloated install "here's 10x addons that do sort of the same thing and some won't work properly, but see how ya go"

With these things and listening to that lad it'll go the same way as previous things of this ilk, it'll have 50% functionality because core addons the "build" uses go down the tubes or outta support and the guy making it won't know how to fix them without the addons developers doing something (at which point you'll have a load of crap installed that doesn't work but still runs slowing down your device), or he'll release a build that won't roll over the top of the previous one properly and you'll end up having to do a fresh install everytime.

install http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

I'd check any "best addons for "whatever"

install the ones you rate/will use and pick a skin you like

job done.

I can feel a new project coming on in the new year :lol:

I remember back in the 90's we used to use an oracle database an access to make all sorts of reporting programs for "IT illiterate" people to use. I used to love playing around building stuff. This could be similar fun.

Newbie alert, possibly a stupid question coming up: can I download this thing straight on to my smart TV or do I need this fire stick thing? All sounds a bit complicated

I think it's only the new Sony Smart tv's that have android on????

But for the sake of £35 you have it on a stick and can take it around the house to different TV's (possibly even stick it in a hotel TV when on business / Holiday).

I remember mucking about with Plex about 6 or 7 years ago and then I realized that faffing on for hours to have a good looking interactive library for my media was pointless.

What is this now? It sounds like a bit more than just a media centre? Can you actually use the interface to download tv programs and films? That was the thing I never understood how to do with Plex and why I gave up. Apparently you could set it up to automatically download new episodes etc. Is that what this is?