Kodi

Christmas Tree

Depends on your expectations. If you want access to pretty much any film or tv program ever made at whatever time you want to watch them, it's first class. If you expect live tv to come through at the same quality and reliability that you get from Sky, you're going to be disapointed.

Other than football and Cricket, I barely watch any live tv anymore and I never paid for the sports channels anyway so it's perfect for me.

football and cricket is pretty much what i'd use it for. is it not HD quality in the main then when you stream sport live?

football and cricket is pretty much what i'd use it for. is it not HD quality in the main then when you stream sport live?

It all depends on what streams are available. Last week I watched the champions and europa league games on Fox Sport (added bonus of no Michael Owen) and they were HD with no buffering at all. The stream I watched the last five minutes of the Arsenal game yesterday wasn't quite HD but a decent SD. For the cricket you can usually get much better streams of Sky than you can with football. It's pretty much HD a lot of the time and always very watchable. Given that with cricket there's not the contant movement that there is with football, worse quality streams often look better.

It's never quite as good as what you'll get if you pay for it though whereas for watching TV Shows and Films I would say it is.

Edited by David Kelly

Maybe not time to cancel the sky subscription after all then? Tits. I usually watch Vipbox for streaming football. The quality is anywhere from average to awful with unwatchable buffering. If Kodi is like that I don't think I'll bother.

What's all the hype about then?

i still haven't got around to getting this sorted. going to cancel sky soon so need to get involved. is it still as awesome as everyone made out at the start of the thread? and is the amazon fire stick thingy still considered the best device to dump it on?

It's fantastic :)

As DK says, every movie, every tv show. Basically you have more than sky has.

I've found the football 80% of the time, perfect HD quality. Last couple of weeks has been iffy for some reason. That said, I'm talking about non broadcast live TV games. Anything that's on Sky or BT is usually spot on. No idea about cricket as I'm not a tart.

Absolutely mad forking out for sky imo.

The Beast still works superb as it has from day 1 (pre Xmas). I appreciate the guys who want to do it themselves etc with all these defrid??? Accounts that they ramble on about but it's great for me.

I sit down on a night, decide what I want to watch and 99.9% of the time, it's there with zero buffering issues.

I also like that it has several sports add ons so that if ones crap, it's a 10 second job to choose one of several others.

Fire stick still works perfectly.

Everyone pays for Netflix and Amazon who are the only people making good TV any more anyway. You can get HBO solely online now too.

And the BBC still produces some good stuff which is paid for.

I never try to watch our matches on it as I'm always either there or watching it the local. The bloke at work has told me a few times that he's struggled to get decent streams. He is in his 60's though and not massively savy with these things so I think he could probably find better if he had the skills to search about a bit. I can usually find a good quality link of any match I want to watch and have never had a problem with the cricket. But for me it's really films and TV shows that I use it most for and I never have any problems.

As I never had sky sports or movies to begin with it's all a bonus for me. It's not stopped me for paying for anything other than DVD/Bluray. I have a season ticket, still go to the cinema regularly and I pay my licence so I have zero guilt.

Edited by David Kelly

Of course if everyone stopped paying for tv then no new shows would get made.

Footballers would have to go back to earning 10 grand a week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For anyone who has kodi on a Firestick etc it appears you can no longer add / update kodi through ES file manager.

You could connect to the PC or there may be another app that does it.

However, if you are bone idle and want a quick fix from your settee, there is an iPhone app called side loader that lets you download kodi to your phone and then transfers it to the Firestick / Fire TV etc. Costs £1.49.

The whole process takes about a minute.

> insert comparisons to my sex life here<

;)

Awesome ! thanks for the update ! was thinking about getting another Fire Stick for another room.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some good Kodi add-ons, a lot of the ones I'm using, especially for live sport are really unreliable.

• 3 weeks later...