Kodi

Christmas Tree

Cheers, I might not bother with this. Torrents and plex are working fine, I was only really interested in this if Kodi was going to work as well as it does on a PC, but if that's not the case then balls to it.

Can't believe so many people are behind CT on this mind ;)

There's no difference in setup fundamentally between xbmc & kodi or raspberry pi & firestick other than since gemmill did a detailed guide 2 years back it's now become so easy even CT can do it.

It's the addons that change. Genesis, phoenix and vdubt piss on 1channel and icefilms and that which used to be the main ones.

Advise people follow Ant's advice. Installing something called the "beast" tells you it's going to be big, needlessly so for those that only want TV, films and sports from a tiny firestick.

"The Beast", is only 468 Mb which is nowt really and it runs as smooth as anything.

I agree about being able to build one the way Ant suggests, but for most of us who lack either the skills or time to go the DIY route, this is a great option. (And its customisable).

The bottom line is you can buy a Fire stick and be up and running with a ready made solution, that works perfectly within about 30 minutes.

HF is right about this beast thing mind. There will be a handful of addons that you use CT, just add those individually to a clean install and things will run a lot smoother. You won't need anything like all of the things this bloke has added to The Beast.

"The Beast", is only 468 Mb which is nowt really and it runs as smooth as anything.

I agree about being able to build one the way Ant suggests, but for most of us who lack either the skills or time to go the DIY route, this is a great option. (And its customisable).

The bottom line is you can buy a Fire stick and be up and running with a ready made solution, that works perfectly within about 30 minutes.

it can be as small as you like, the issue is the number of add-ons it will access, they're just links in his setup so adds nothing to the size, but they're running dozens of add-ons for your system and each one will use memory to run as opposed to space on an install.

Hang on, so i download Kodi to my machine. Then what is this beast? Is it something else i need to install?

Nah, start with Genesis. That will get you loads of tv and films and the ability to set favourites for easy browsing...

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-manually-install-gotv-for-xbmc/

Other add ons are added in the same way. For me, vdubt and Phoenix are the only others I use.

Just answer the question.

No, it's not something you need to install.

But you need to install something to get any content.

Question you need to answer is whether you're going to follow the advice of CT or Ant Gemmill and me?

I know what I would do.

No, it's not something you need to install.

But you need to install something to get any content.

Question you need to answer is whether you're going to follow the advice of CT or Ant Gemmill and me?

I know what I would do.

:lol: See my edit, sorry for sounding rude, that wasnt at you.

I'm not going to follow CT's advice out of principle.

Cheers, I might not bother with this. Torrents and plex are working fine, I was only really interested in this if Kodi was going to work as well as it does on a PC, but if that's not the case then balls to it.

Works fine if you've got an Android Box, exactly as good as on my PC.

:lol: See my edit, sorry for sounding rude, that wasnt at you.

I'm not going to follow CT's advice out of principle.

:lol:

Well stuff yer!!!!!!

If you want to Fanny on building one yourself go ahead.

@@Gemmill I have no idea what the speed issues are you are worried about but here is a video of me using it :lol:

So yes, spend days / weeks of valuable free time building one yourself or 10 minutes downloading a ready made one. No brainier :lol:

Works fine if you've got an Android Box, exactly as good as on my PC.

My other problem with it was ISPs deciding to block source websites and then having to search for workarounds. Is that still an issue? Tell the truth or I will batter you.

How are you getting on with the treatment for your back btw? Any progress?

Well stuff yer!!!!!!

@@Gemmill I have no idea what the speed issues are you are worried about but here is a video of me using it :lol:

So yes, spend days / weeks of valuable free time building one yourself or 10 minutes downloading a ready made one. No brainier :lol:

:lol: you might have a career as a youtuber ahead of you. i'm actually well convinced by this video. i'm in the "can't be arsed to set up owt meself" camp too and this one sounds hassle free.

Well stuff yer!!!!!!

Aye, it's a perfect solution for anyone so lazy they can't sort their wires out ;)

Aye, it's a perfect solution for anyone so lazy they can't sort their wires out ;)

Aye they're a bug bear. :lol:

The wires were all hidden in the wall 5 years ago but the old telly knacked so this is the bedroom telly hung in place til after Xmas.

Should really have made the original wall channel bigger to allow easy access.

People should realise, the hassle (or ease) of setting up "The Beast" is exactly the same as the hassle of setting up any other add on whatsoever. It's the same menu system for kodi regardless.

So, some of us have only added 3 basic channels that cover everything we need (TV, film, Sport).

CT has added one massive add on that incorporates those but also everything else from Wham Karaoke to chilean webcams.

People should realise, the hassle (or ease) of setting up "The Beast" is exactly the same as the hassle of setting up any other add on whatsoever. It's the same menu system for kodi regardless.

So, some of us have only added 3 basic channels that cover everything we need (TV, film, Sport).

CT has added one massive add on that incorporates those but also everything else from Wham Karaoke to chilean webcams.

Aye it's a bit like having free view or Sky ;)

There's probably stuff on there that I might never use or watch (just like Sky), but it's ready made and easy to use.

As for your few 3 channels, that's all well and good until your football channel is down on a Saturday and you have to hunt around for one that works.

With this I have several football channels sitting there so if one is down I flick the remote and happy days.

Horses for courses really.

A better comparison would be having a computer that's full of bloatware versus one that just has on it the three applications that you actually use. One will perform better than the other.

Rest assured, CT isn't winning an argument with his flawed Sky/Freeview analogy anywhere other than in his head. To the rest of us he's demonstrating that, 4 pages into the thread, he still doesn't quite understand what this "build" is that he keeps referring to. :lol:

Edited by Gemmill

My other problem with it was ISPs deciding to block source websites and then having to search for workarounds. Is that still an issue? Tell the truth or I will batter you.

How are you getting on with the treatment for your back btw? Any progress?

I'm on BT and I've had no issues with any of the sources on it in all honesty. Genesis gets updated quite often and searches for 'live' sources for every show/film you click on so you're not spending ages going through dead links before finding a working one.

Back is worse than ever tbh but cheers for asking.