Relegation ?

trooper

We need just about everything to be fair, although aye CT did try and argue we didn't really need defenders over January.

Went a bit quiet when I showed how often the team with the worst defence goes down.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went a bit quiet when I showed how often the team with the worst defence goes down.

Excuse me gents, I said a first class striker was thee priority.

A combined total of 6 goals since the end of January between all three of them pretty much signs, seals, delivers my point.

Don't even dare try to waffle your way out of this chaps. A quality striker in January and we'd be safe.

End of.

We've scored in every game under Rafa (bar the first game where he had 3 games to prep) during which time the defence has looked a lot more solid and organized, as I said in the thread the Fish just linked too a sound defence would allow us to attack more and be more of a threat going forward. For what it's worth I wanted us to bring in a striker (as I still do) but defence was definitely the priority in January, we've got Vurnon Anita playing right back and we've had Sissoko and Colback play left back.

Anita has been defending better than Janmaat has managed all season mind. Not that it changes your point but I thought I'd give big Vurn some appreciation since I've been pretty scathing of his midfield play.

A combined total of 6 goals since the end of January between all three of them pretty much signs, seals, delivers my point.

Don't even dare try to waffle your way out of this chaps. A quality striker in January and we'd be safe.

End of.

Only two teams in the bottom half have scored more goals than us since January. Only two teams have conceded more than us since January.

What was that about waffle?

End of.

Only 5 players have scored more than Jermaine Defoe and sunderland are below us in the league.

We've a better goals For per Game than 7 teams

We've a better goals Against per Game than 1 team.

defence.png

That says to me that if we brought the number of goals conceded closer to the average for the league, we'd not be in a relegation scrap.

Anita has been defending better than Janmaat has managed all season mind. Not that it changes your point but I thought I'd give big Vurn some appreciation since I've been pretty scathing of his midfield play.

I fully agree, but we've been extremely lucky that he has been a bit of a revelation there. I don't think any of us thought we'd ever find a use for him. I've been scathing of his midfield performances as well, the fact that Rafa has got displays and in fact goals from Colback and Anita is stunning.

I fully agree, but we've been extremely lucky that he has been a bit of a revelation there. I don't think any of us thought we'd ever find a use for him. I've been scathing of his midfield performances as well, the fact that Rafa has got displays and in fact goals from Colback and Anita is stunning.

I've actually felt that Anita was always better suited to play fullback (didn't he play there quite a bit before he came here) but again I agree with your point.

I can kind of take CT's point about forwards as better attackers take pressure off your defence. But that doesn't work if your defence is awful which ours has been. In those cases it tends to have the opposite effect with the defence putting increased pressure on the attackers and the attackers getting less of the ball because of an inability to recover and use possession.

Chelsea are still giving 100%

Everton are still giving 100%

Watford are still giving 100%.

Unfortunately so are Villa.I think a win will be enough to keep us up.A draw could need us having to win against Tottenham due to our shit goal difference.Shipping goals due to cowardice could prove costly

I've actually felt that Anita was always better suited to play fullback (didn't he play there quite a bit before he came here) but again I agree with your point.

I can kind of take CT's point about forwards as better attackers take pressure off your defence. But that doesn't work if your defence is awful which ours has been. In those cases it tends to have the opposite effect with the defence putting increased pressure on the attackers and the attackers getting less of the ball because of an inability to recover and use possession.

Aye I think he played there a bit for Ajax.

I think that's the crux of it, if we had a half decent defence but we were struggling to score buying strikers would be our priority, but our defence was (and although it's better drilled still is) terrible and we spend most of the game chasing shadows and losing out on 2nd balls due to terrible distribution as our defenders hack the ball away rather than look to retain the ball when under pressure.

Since our defence have become much better drilled we've definitely been getting our attackers the ball in better positions and not losing out on the 2nd ball all the fucking time, I pointed out to a mate that Rafa has really improved our lot getting to the 2nd ball particularly on the attack and Colback's goal the other week was a good example iirc, under McClaren it seemed like any clearance from the opposition defence resulted in the build up of an attack for them and all pressure we had created ended.

Chelsea are still giving 100%

Everton are still giving 100%

Watford are still giving 100%.

Unfortunately so are Villa.I think a win will be enough to keep us up.A draw could need us having to win against Tottenham due to our shit goal difference.Shipping goals due to cowardice could prove costly

Watford are on the beach.

Everton are in disarray surrounding Martinez's future

And there's no way that Chelsea are going to show as much effort in the remaining games as they did in the second half against Spurs. They wanted to stop Spurs from winning the league and will more than likely be on the beach for the remaining games

Watford came from 2 v 0 down to win 3 v 2 against Villa.Everton beat Bournemouth 2 v 1 .Didn't Chelsea beat Bournemouth 4 v 1 away last week.I'm confident the makems will get beat off Chelsea and get no more than a point against Everton.We must beat Villa.Tottenham are at home against Southampton at the weekend and Arsenal are away to Man City.If Tottenham match Arsenals result then Totttenham will have Nowt to play for in their game against us.

win our two remaining games and we'll almost certainly survive. that's what it's going to come down to.

Trouble is, I think we'll need to win them both and if I'm honest, I can see us fucking up at Villa park.

Two cup finals. Villa down and players on the beach. Spurs demoralised with half their team injured or suspended.

Keep the faith!

Two cup finals. Villa down and players on the beach. Spurs demoralised with half their team injured or suspended.

Keep the faith!

They weren't on the beach against Watford. I know they lost, but they were trying

Spurs may be demoralised, and down to bones, but I'm still not convinced we have enough to get all 3pts. Mostly I'm expecting Villa to get a draw and final day's result be immaterial.

You said Swansea had thrown in the towel in January. Your words are like dead centipedes falling into baby's breast milk.

That is poetic and horrible.

God what a fanny you've become, Dave. Man up.

I plot a steady path, it's you lot that flit twixt glory and doom.

you have been optimistic when there's been little reason to be. now we have a fighting chance of survival you're throwing in the towel. new CT tbh :CT: