Relegation ?

trooper

I think I had more confidence we'd stay up the last time we went down. I don't know if I'm just more cynical now but we need a massive overhaul in January to even have a chance

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played well v Liverpool but don't be fooled. Defence is still utter shit. Colo had a great game as did Dummet. But what's changed? Nowt. He's still past it and Dummet is one of the worst LB's I've seen.

Dummetts alright at centre back, or has been when I've seen him. Gets a rough ride here, how many really strong Left Backs are there in the premiership? Like Left wingers, they're rare imo.

We can only hope the win can start a little run (even if it's just a win over Villa) but we've seen them do well against bigger sides only to not bother their arses against lesser ones, so we wont really know until next match.

I'm chuffed we won but it's still concerning that we didn't really get many shots on target (just 1 iirc which came in the 93rd min), it's been a problem all season for us. It would be great to see a committed performance like that against Villa with a lot more shots on target. I still think we should move Sissoko inside as having Colback in the side at the expense of one of Perez/Wijnaldum/DeJong/Thauvin isn't worth it. Thauvin actually had a few nice touches and runs at the end, albeit against a tired side, it would be nice to see him get some more game time but it's hard to drop Perez/ De Jong or Wijnaldum (obviously out of the question) for him.

Dummet is total crap at left back. You can't fault his effort but he doesn't have the technical ability needed to play in that position. He's better at centre half but even then he's not what you'd call premier league quality.

Dummet is total crap at left back. You can't fault his effort but he doesn't have the technical ability needed to play in that position. He's better at centre half but even then he's not what you'd call premier league quality.

He just has no ability on the ball whatsoever, it is something that is exposed less at CB. At left back he is often asked to overlap or initiate attacks (without just launching it forward), I can't remember which game it was but in a recent one the ball came to him in the opposition half at nothing more than a roll and he took three ridiculous touches just to get the ball moving in the vague direction of their goal (wouldn't say he really had it under proper control) it was horrific.

He put in a decent, committed defensive performance but he's not good enough on the ball to play left back. He's ok at centre-back but again probably not PL standard in terms of starting most of your games. Ok as cover though, especially for a club like us.

:lol: The fat lasses christmas avatar is up, the one on the left of the picture reminds me of the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters is that the look she was going for? it was probably meant to be 'sexy sailor' or some other failed attempt.

:lol: The fat lasses christmas avatar is up, the one on the left of the picture reminds me of the marshmallow man from Ghostbusters is that the look she was going for? it was probably meant to be 'sexy sailor' or some other failed attempt.

I showed that pic to wor lass and said the same thing re: the unintentional Stay Puft Marshmallow Man look :lol: That's who she looks like :lol:

Edit: Not my lass btw :razz:

Edited by Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I'm walking backwards for Xmas by The Goons seems a very apt song for the club at the minute last season we were in

8th position after 17 games with 23 points

Now after appointing a new manager & spending £50 million plus we are in

17th position after 17 games with 17 points

Lessons have not been learned all this spin about "progress being made" and promising "a performance to be proud of" its all bullshit we really are a rubbish team who just about held on for a draw against the worse club in the league . You can make all the excuses you want about the weather being horrendous" it was the same for both teams. Also the blame for yesterday's 2 points dropped must lie with McClaren for not starting with Perez & Mitrovic. We could have been out of the relegation area with another couple of points but now we're right back in it relying on teams around us to do worse than us so much for progress.

I do think there have been signs mind, we've played canny football over the last few week and the team definitely put in a lot more effort than we've seen. The Villa draw was disappointing but none of us predicted 7 points from those 3 games so it's looking a bit better than it did. I still think we're going to struggle until we get some proper CM's in the side as McClaren's system demands a lot from them and we have 2 who can only put in a shift defensively but offer little to nothing on attack.

23 points after 17 games was a bit of a false position as it included the run of 4 wins out of 5 or whatever it was which was the only thing that kept us up in the end. We were fucking terrible for the most part under 'Pards' and 'Carvs' last season and it's taking a hell of a lot of sorting out.

23 points after 17 games was a bit of a false position as it included the run of 4 wins out of 5 or whatever it was which was the only thing that kept us up in the end. We were fucking terrible for the most part under 'Pards' and 'Carvs' last season and it's taking a hell of a lot of sorting out.

Totally right - I would say the performances for the most part this season have been a lot more encouraging than for the same period last year, bar the Bournemough/Leicester/Palace run which was unmititgated pap. However last season we were absolutely woeful long before Pards left and Carver took over - I am sure Pardew is quite happy that that fact was immediately forgotten by most of the media. That run we went on last autumn kept us up in the end and it seemed to come out of nowhere - it certainly didn't coincide with any more convincing performances, just managing to scrape the wins from what I can remember. We need a left back and a proper centre mid and we'll be OK. The thing that has me worried is that, although the quality of the league as a whole this year is even worse than last year, a fair few of the teams down the bottom seem to be showing some signs of fight (look at the Norwich and Bournemough results). For all the promise of the performances, we need to pull away from the bottom quickly cos if we're in the bottom 4 or 5 by February sort of time the pressure will start to build.

I'm afraid it will go right to the wire!!

7 points from a possible 9 is a very good return but it has only enabled us to rise to 4th from bottom, the transfer window will be crucial and no way can they get more players in with no EPL experience can they??!!

• 3 weeks later...

Come on then we might as well have relegation this season it'll finish things of nicely Mike Ashley you are a horrible man for ruining our great club to suit your own needs.

Our next set of 5 are

Man Utd (h)

West Ham (h)

Watford (a)

Everton (a)

WBA (h)

We must start winning games I think this set of 5 will determine whether we stay up or are relegated