Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Howmanheyman

Yeah, I'm struggling with de Jong. Seems slow as fuck and doesn't contribute much in evidence so far

I understand why McClaren started him & Cisse and to be fair it could be argued the plan worked; rope a dope for 60 minutes then bring on the more dynamic Perez & Mitrovic.

But would we have been under such pressure and have required that performance from Elliot had we started Mitrovic?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game was crying out for Perez to come on for the ineffectual De Jong, Cisse struggles playing alone but to fair, didn't get the lickings of a dog from our players. Gini is wasted out wide and the game passes him by, Sissoko was again a bit frustrating until the substitutions. Was great watching in the club and seeing everyone go apeshit when the goals go in, (including me spilling my pint for the umpteenth time celebrating a NUFC goal). Fantastic turnaround and I'll had to wait for MOTD to come on the iPlayer as I was fucking blotto last night and missed it. :D

The game was crying out for Perez to come on for the ineffectual De Jong, Cisse struggles playing alone but to fair, didn't get the lickings of a dog from our players. Gini is wasted out wide and the game passes him by, Sissoko was again a bit frustrating until the substitutions. Was great watching in the club and seeing everyone go apeshit when the goals go in, (including me spilling my pint for the umpteenth time celebrating a NUFC goal). Fantastic turnaround and I'll had to wait for MOTD to come on the iPlayer as I was fucking blotto last night and missed it. :D

His game really benefits from the space left by a more mobile forward partnership. If the centre backs are getting pulled around, he can isolate the fullback and really attack him.

His game really benefits from the space left by a more mobile forward partnership. If the centre backs are getting pulled around, he can isolate the fullback and really attack him.

His game benefits from him putting some effort in. If he did it more often I don't think we'd be in much danger of relegation at all. Hopefully he keeps it up next week because no matter how shite Villa look, we aren't good enough to take our foot off the gas against anyone.

With regards to SDJ, I think we still need to give him more time. I know he's been here a while but he's had so little game time and been injured most of the time. Being out so long, he needs time to get up to speed. Clearly he's done very little so far but he was obviously a good player before he arrived so I think he's worth giving a bit more of a chance yet.

His game benefits from him putting some effort in. If he did it more often I don't think we'd be in much danger of relegation at all. Hopefully he keeps it up next week because no matter how shite Villa look, we aren't good enough to take our foot off the gas against anyone.

With regards to SDJ, I think we still need to give him more time. I know he's been here a while but he's had so little game time and been injured most of the time. Being out so long, he needs time to get up to speed. Clearly he's done very little so far but he was obviously a good player before he arrived so I think he's worth giving a bit more of a chance yet.

No doubt.

That said, when you could toss a pillowcase over the two "forwards" it doesn't half make his job harder. Him, Janmaat and Wijnaldum suddenly found themselves in space. Now, this may have as much to do with our increasing confidence to play the ball on the deck, or it could be because Spurs weren't really at the races in the 2nd half. Whatever it was, Perez & Mitrovic's introduction coincided with a sharp jump in the apparent effort & performance of Moussa.

I would start De Jong and Perez next game. I agree De Jong hasn't really done anything yet but he looks like he's got a decent touch and awareness and I'd like to see him given a run of starts to see if he can get used to English football - he had a good reputation in Holland supposedly, but we won't know unless he's given a decent run in the side. Villa and Everton at home should be good opportunities for him to see if he can start stamping his authority on the game a bit more. We should have a fair bit of possession against Villa so let's see if we can get him and Wijnaldum the ball to make things happen around their box. I'd keep Mitrovic on the bench with the plan of bringing him on to put himself about when the opposition (and De Jong) are tiring.

I would start De Jong and Perez next game. I agree De Jong hasn't really done anything yet but he looks like he's got a decent touch and awareness and I'd like to see him given a run of starts to see if he can get used to English football - he had a good reputation in Holland supposedly, but we won't know unless he's given a decent run in the side. Villa and Everton at home should be good opportunities for him to see if he can start stamping his authority on the game a bit more. We should have a fair bit of possession against Villa so let's see if we can get him and Wijnaldum the ball to make things happen around their box. I'd keep Mitrovic on the bench with the plan of bringing him on to put himself about when the opposition (and De Jong) are tiring.

Think we're going to have a lot more of the ball against Villa, also he's likely to get more time on the ball and perhaps that will get the most out of him?

I really hope De Jong does come good, I think he just really needs mobile players around him. Anita and Colback both sit so deep most of the time so he ends up being pretty isolated, I'd really like to see us go and get a proper CM that can link the lines up properly. The difficult part is playing De Jong in his favoured position means playing Wijnaldum out of his, it would be nice if McClaren could figure out a way to play both of them at the expense of Colback against weaker sides especially.

Think we're going to have a lot more of the ball against Villa, also he's likely to get more time on the ball and perhaps that will get the most out of him?

Aye that was my thinking - you would expect them to sit deep so we want to get our skilful (is that really how you spell skilful, can't believe there's not more than 2 l's in there) players on the ball as much as possible. If De Jong is the player we all hope he is you would think this would be the ideal game for him to drop in between the lines, pulling their defenders out of position and picking the killer passes. Of course he might be shocking, get subbed off at half time never to be seen again :blush2:

I really hope De Jong does come good, I think he just really needs mobile players around him. Anita and Colback both sit so deep most of the time so he ends up being pretty isolated, I'd really like to see us go and get a proper CM that can link the lines up properly. The difficult part is playing De Jong in his favoured position means playing Wijnaldum out of his, it would be nice if McClaren could figure out a way to play both of them at the expense of Colback against weaker sides especially.

Me too. What's Wijnaldum's favoured position?Does he to prefer to be a second striker or centre mid? I am assuming he's reluctantly doing a job on the left for now? If we had a really top quality ball winner in centre mid ideally we would get away with having De Jong and Wijnaldum through the middle against poorer sides as you say. Would be very worried about doing that with either Colback or Anita in there though - that would be a proper soft spine of the team, especially with Colo seriously on the wane behind them

Me too. What's Wijnaldum's favoured position?Does he to prefer to be a second striker or centre mid? I am assuming he's reluctantly doing a job on the left for now? If we had a really top quality ball winner in centre mid ideally we would get away with having De Jong and Wijnaldum through the middle against poorer sides as you say. Would be very worried about doing that with either Colback or Anita in there though - that would be a proper soft spine of the team, especially with Colo seriously on the wane behind them

Agreed, from what I gather Wijnaldum likes to be behind the striker. It's just a shame Tiote has been so our of form as he would be a good fit there to cover for a more adventurous CM. I think Wijnaldum on the left wing is a bit of a waste as he doesn't get on the ball much out there especially with Dummett behind him who prefers to pass it inside or lump it forward. Colocinni is a concern mind as you say but I think we can survive the season with him if we can show as much commitment as we have for the last two games, I would like to see a Colocinni replacement and a left back brought in over summer though.

Tbf to CT having an orthodox left footer in the squad would good and a different option from the usual premier league "inverted wingers". Word that Haidara is out medium to long term means this is a priority in January, Christ knows what will happen though, and ffs let Marveaux go back to France and stay there this time.

After Sunday, I've got faith in the manager's selection. I was not happy with the starting 11, but everyone's getting games under their belt up front and he had them motivated.

Just think the players really do need coaching, but still they show that they can play much better than they ever did under Pardew.

I would drop Colback, sticky Wingy in the middle, Marveaux left wing and Perez and someone else up front.

:lol:

Marveaux hasn't played a minute of Premier League football for us since March 25th 2014. He's managed the sum total of 2 hours of U21 football and you reckon he should start?

Stop being silly.