Which Transfer was the most surprising

The Fish

I thought Bellamy would be shite and was well surprised we spent the same as Coventry on him when he barely scored a goal for them. How wrong was I? His game was about so much more than goals and his selfless running really gave shearer a new lease of life at a time when I wondered whether he was on the decline.

I wasn't expecting much from James Perch but he did alright in the end. Well, he wasn't a massive donkey at least.

Robson only signed Bellamy because Jeffers turned him down and went to Arsenal. Similar with getting Robert that same summer. He only went after him because Zenden opted for Chelsea.

Beardsley wasn't the biggest shock, for me. I knew he was really good, but I wasn't aware he was arguably the best footballer I'd see play for us.

Bellamy, I thought would be bang average bordering on shite. Perez, I was expecting him to be utter bobbins to be honest.

Beardsley wasn't the biggest shock, for me. I knew he was really good, but I wasn't aware he was arguably the best footballer I'd see play for us.

First time round it was a shock how good he was

Bellamy definitley was a player I wasn't at all excited about signing. His record at Coventry was nothing to write home about but he turned out to be a massive signing for Shearer and the team.

I knew virtually nothing about Robert Lee when we signed him and he didn't look that great when he first arrived and was played on the right. But he turned out to be one of the best midfielders I've seen for us.

I suppose I knew nothing about Cabaye either so I guess he impressed more than I would have thought he would.

When Jenas came in he was 19. He came off the bench for Viana for his first appearance then started instead of him in the next game, which was v the mackems at the SoL. He was up against the half decent Claudio Reyna and never took a backward step. Soon he was going toe to toe with peak era Patrick Viera and coming out with at least honours even. I think his exit (under Souness, who was so desperate to keep a plainly unhappy player he made him captain when Shearer was injured) masks what a good player he was when he first came in. I thought at the time he was the best teenager I'd seen since Gazza and would probably be England captain. Sir Bobbys sacking cooked his NUFC goose iyam.

Bellamy definitley was a player I wasn't at all excited about signing. His record at Coventry was nothing to write home about but he turned out to be a massive signing for Shearer and the team.

I knew virtually nothing about Robert Lee when we signed him and he didn't look that great when he first arrived and was played on the right. But he turned out to be one of the best midfielders I've seen for us.

I suppose I knew nothing about Cabaye either so I guess he impressed more than I would have thought he would.

Was chatting to an Arsenal mate a couple of nights ago and we were talking about Bellamy. He was never a fan of Bellamy, thought him a horrible shitbag and nothing more, until he came to watch Newcastle play, after that 1 game watching him in the flesh his opinion changed 180o. Yes he was an angry little bastard, but he now appreciated his touch, his movement into space, his blinding pace. While he'd been told about Bellamy's workrate he was blown away by it.

This lead to him telling a Celtic fan that Bellamy would the best player he'd ever have had at his club after Larsson & Laudrup.

Was chatting to an Arsenal mate a couple of nights ago and we were talking about Bellamy. He was never a fan of Bellamy, thought him a horrible shitbag and nothing more, until he came to watch Newcastle play, after that 1 game watching him in the flesh his opinion changed 180o. Yes he was an angry little bastard, but he now appreciated his touch, his movement into space, his blinding pace. While he'd been told about Bellamy's workrate he was blown away by it.

This lead to him telling a Celtic fan that Bellamy would the best player he'd ever have had at his club after Larsson & Laudrup.

I bet the Celtic fan was over the moon being told that a Rangers player was one of the best Celtic had ever had.

Guiseppe Rossi came out of nowhere and was precisely as successful as expected.

Sibierski was handy :lol:

You see I think Rossi was underused because he showed some nice touches and stuff and Roeder wouldn't play him much. Definitely a good player. Sibierski was better than expected but he only really looked decent in the Uefa Cup against shite opposition. He was shit in the league

You see I think Rossi was underused because he showed some nice touches and stuff and Roeder wouldn't play him much. Definitely a good player. Sibierski was better than expected but he only really looked decent in the Uefa Cup against shite opposition. He was shit in the league

He definitely became one but it was surprising in the sense that it just seemed to arrive out of nowhere. But then, as now, you've just never got any hope that we know how to handle young players who are raw but talented and he fell into that bracket. Ayoze Perez excepted but he seems to have just done it for himself.

Bramble thought he had beckham's passing range, the big thick lump

That was one of the funny things about Bramble for me - his passing was often absolutely brilliant. He often did 60-70 yard balls off either foot, straight to Robert or Solano's feet. He was also prone to knocking it straight out of play but I always put that down to carelessness rather than lack of ability. In fact he had really good all round ability, it was his concentration and common sense that used to let him down. I remember a run of games, must have been a good 7-8 in a row, would have been between 2002 and 2005 but my memory lets me down, when he was absolutely flawless, and if you had been watching him for the first time without any context you would have sworn he was a world class centre half. Can't remember what brought an end to that particular run but no doubt it was some calamity or other.

Forrest Gump (ask Gemmill). One of the biggest confidence players I've ever seen. Made Boumsong look mint when he first arrived due to his having a purple patch

:lol: Aye Bramble was heavily let down by his concentration. He often had some of the best strikers in the league frustrated but you could almost guarantee he'd slip up at one point in a match and it often led to a goal.

I remember watching us against Chelsea and he had Drogba in his pocket all game, was barely getting a touch of the ball let alone any chances, then Chelsea hoofed the ball up and it should have been a routine header but Bramble completely mis-read the flight of the ball and it sailed over his head onto Drogba's boot setting up a one on one which Drogba scored. Frustrating player for sure as he had the size, strength, ability on the ball, and speed to be a top centre half but he just couldn't maintain his concentration for 90 minutes.

He'd gone well off the boil before Robson left

That was my impression as well. I think for a while most of us thought Jenas and Dyer had the makings of a really formidable midfield but they both started to disappoint before Robson went. They both had a habit of going missing when the games weren't going our way, which could definitely be excused for a 19/20/21 year old like Jenas, especially under Souness who had an incredible ability not to get the best out of players, but from what I saw he continued to be like that at Spurs under different managers. Loads of ability but I don't think he ever had the heart to be the top player his ability and athleticism initially suggested.