West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United 28/12/15 15:00 ko

Haydnator

I don't think the style has changed tbh Haydnator, I think its more likely the players are responding to coaching and he's able to put a little bit more on it week on week.

They were truly unable to play passing football when he arrived imo, now we can pass at least a bit , it's time to try and get them to find some kind of creativity.... I really can't put anything on McLaren - are the players playing better football than last year, I think yes, but the results are worse. I'd honestly prefer worse results and at least a bit of hope that this shower of shite can develop under a half decent coach.

This McLaren hating scares me tbh, I can't believe he took the job and is a better coach than anything else we'll get under Ashley!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you backing him? I want to, but yesterday I was getting the feeling that he just isn't the right man for us but, who is? I feel we could actually, and very frighteningly, do a lot worse, and some things have gone against McClaren at times and he's inherited a shitstorm, but at times it feels like Pardew & Carver never left. Yesterday was one of those times, which is a real shame because I like him and I really want him to do well with us but...I don't know anymore...

And we'd be down with Villa - probably with less than 8 points - if we hadn't spent the £50 million in the summer. If you take out those four players and what exactly would you have left to pick from for the Arsenal match on Saturday? The £50m has converted the current Newcastle United from "shite" to "strugglers".

It will take another 50m to get them from "strugglers" to "safe". Anything less, and I reckon we're in for another dice roll finish like last season, and we can't rely on one of the others doing a Hull and saving us by being even worse than we are. It worked last year ok, and Villa will be almost nailed on for one spot if they don't beat the mackems next up, but there isn't a swallow-diver into 18th spot every year.

IF we get the right players in in January (which is never, ever likely) I think we'll most definitely stay up. If we don't, or if we don't spend in January at all, we're basically battling with Bournemouth and Norwich for 18th unless the mackems come up with another ridiculous revival. The primary problem is actually being able to sell NUFC to players in January. We'll almost certainly be 18th in the first 2 weeks of the window, so who on this Earth would want to come to this absolute circus? Probably another wave of French/Dutch mercenaries, and we all know how well that has turned out for us.

I wanted him to do well but when he can't do the simple thing and set a team out with players in their natural positions then what hope do we have each game. We've seen for weeks what changes needed made but he's been too stubborn or too thick to see it.

Or he just doesn't have faith in players, Thauvin especially.

I don't think Perez likes him. He hasn't been playing well lately imo but when he gets subbed off you can see he purposely avoids McClaren when he goes to the bench. Very small things, aye, but I don't think he does. And that is a problem, when one of our better plays doesn't like the manager.

Or he just doesn't have faith in players, Thauvin especially.

I don't think Perez likes him. He hasn't been playing well lately imo but when he gets subbed off you can see he purposely avoids McClaren when he goes to the bench. Very small things, aye, but I don't think he does. And that is a problem, when one of our better plays doesn't like the manager.

Then that's another problem down to the manager. If as a manager you can't instill confidence in a young lad to play football then you're no good at your job. If you're willing to drop or sub a youngun for not being a grafter or not picking someone to go into a team that's low on confidence and comfortably losing games then what are you being paid for?

McClaren has got them playing better football than Pardew ever managed but it's in patches and he can't get results.

He doesn't help himself by persevering with Anita and colback in midfield and Dummet at left back.

McClaren has got them playing better football than Pardew ever managed but it's in patches and he can't get results.

He doesn't help himself by persevering with Anita and colback in midfield and Dummet at left back.

I don't think the footballs that much better of late. Pretty dour stuff.

I agree with Stevie, unless something drastic happens in January then the current bottom 3 will go down.

Norwich have agreed to sign Naismith for £8mil which will probably be enough to keep them up. Bournemouth have their 3 best players to come back from injury. Swansea will be reet with Ki/Ayew/Gomis/Sigurdsson/Williams/Montero

When the 3-4 teams expected to be relegated (Palace/Watford/Leicester/Bournemouth) are all having storming seasons, the form that saw us finish 15th/16th in 2013/2015 will only be good enough for the bottom 3 this year.

I don't think the footballs that much better of late. Pretty dour stuff.

In patches it has been much better. Means fuck all when its half an hour of a match here and there.

I do have some sympathy for McClaren though, a couple of selection issues aside. I can see what he's trying to do.

Bottom line is he has to start getting results soon. I think he'll get till he end of February, assuming he's backed in Janury, to try to turn it around.

In patches it has been much better. Means fuck all when its half an hour of a match here and there.

I do have some sympathy for McClaren though, a couple of selection issues aside. I can see what he's trying to do.

Bottom line is he has to start getting results soon. I think he'll get till he end of February, assuming he's backed in Janury, to try to turn it around.

Thats the big thing. He needs to reinforce in Jan. He then needs to play them in their positions!

I'd love to know what he's trying to do.

All it ever seems to me is set up to defend and the give the ball to Sissoko and hope he can do something with it.

We do nothing down the left and nothing through the middle. A one trick pony that makes it easy for oppositions to snuff out.

I'd love to know what he's trying to do.

All it ever seems to me is set up to defend and the give the ball to Sissoko and hope he can do something with it.

We do nothing down the left and nothing through the middle. A one trick pony that makes it easy for oppositions to snuff out.

I think he's trying to make us play the ball out from the back a lot more and make us harder to beat with two holding players. The problem is we don't have good enough technical players for a possession game. The likes of Sissoko are better on the counter attack. Most of our players look like they can't be arsed half the time. And the defence is abysmal

The only way we can climb out of this situation right now is to have some consecutive wins, like West Ham managed in 2013-14 when they had only 3 league wins at the end of January. They got some consecutive wins and floated to lower midtable (13th or 14th or something)

Problem is, I can't see successive wins coming from anywhere with our current squad. The midfield isn't PL standard. Anita has gotten much, much better, but he's too small and Colback is absolute wank. We have two CMs on the wings, why McClaren can't just fuck Colback off, move Gini into the middle with Thauvin out wide is beyond me. He's either too stubborn, sackless or deluded, just like the King.

All this playing players in their correct places patter.

Well who then? and where?

Dummets all we have at left back at the moment.

He's playing Perez either behind the striker or on the wing, which are his positions

Anita and colback are correct

Who's replacing Sissoko?

I might be being a stupid twat but I just don't understand who in our squad can enable McLaren to "play everyone in their natural positions" We've got like 4 defenders (counting Colo) and 7 centre midfielders and 3 strikers in the (first team) squad.

The likes of Thauvin etc are brand new to the league, the team, I think its a huge gamble when you're getting bummed every week to throw him in and drop someone like Sissoko or Perez. That said, it might work better than when sissoko is on a cant be arsed day.

Edited by scoobos

All this playing players in their correct places patter.

Well who then? and where?

Dummets all we have at left back at the moment.

Mbabu? Only played one and a half PL games, aye, but he looks like he has a bit of pace, gets forward for his winger and looks like he can offer something going forward. As well as being handy defensively.

He's playing Perez either behind the striker or on the wing, which are his positions.

Aye.

Anita and colback are correct

In their alleged correct positions, but them two as a pair is horrendous. I think Anita is out for the game at Arsenal on Saturday, so I think it'll be Tiote & Colback. :anguish:

Who's replacing Sissoko?

Nee one. There is no one there to replace him.

I might be being a stupid twat but I just don't understand who in our squad can enable McLaren to "play everyone in their natural positions" We've got like 4 defenders (counting Colo) and 7 centre midfielders and 3 strikers in the (first team) squad. The likes of Thauvin etc are brand new to the league, the team, I think its a huge gamble when you're getting bummed every week to throw him in and drop someone like Sissoko or Perez. That said, it might work better than when sissoko is on a cant be arsed day.

Drop Ginger Jack, move Wijnaldum into his CM position, a position he has played in before in his career, and put Thauvin on the left. Although he is young and new to the league, he has looked like he has been up for it in the cameos he's been getting, but unfortunately a player like him can't exactly affect a game with 5 minutes to go. It would give us an actual threat down our left wing, which at the minute is non existent, as Gini drifts central all of the time and Dummett can't do anything going forward, he just hoofs it down the touchline because he shits himself when he gets the ball.

Edited by Haydnator

Mbabu isn't available is he?

​What I'm trying to say and still think is the case , is: we don't have the players either in the squad, or available.

I thought Gino was an Attacking midfielder tbh.

I think Thauvin and Dummet on the left would mean we get crucified on the left. Thauvin and Mbabu might work as they are both pacey. Combine that with not having 2 DM's trying to do 1DM's job and we'd just fail completely. I'd rather we played some kind of football and lost 1-0 to west brom than fold completely and lose 3 or 4 like we did at the end of last season.

Not having a go like, just frustrated with reading all this "we are picking the wrong players" , as we only have 13 players to pick from atm, thanks to Ashleys cunterism.

Edited by scoobos

Mbabu isn't available is he?

​What I'm trying to say and still think is the case , is: we don't have the players either in the squad, or available.

I thought Gino was an Attacking midfielder tbh.

I think Thauvin and Dummet on the left would mean we get crucified on the left. Thauvin and Mbabu might work as they are both pacey. Combine that with not having 2 DM's trying to do 1DM's job and we'd just fail completely. I'd rather we played some kind of football and lost 1-0 to west brom than fold completely and lose 3 or 4 like we did at the end of last season.

Not having a go like, just frustrated with reading all this "we are picking the wrong players" , as we only have 13 players to pick from atm, thanks to Ashleys cunterism.

Aye I see what you're saying.

Mbabu is fit has been on the bench lately iirc. How he can't get ahead of Dummett idk. And I would defo have Thauvin & Mbabu as our pair on the left. Thauvin tracks back a lot more than Gini when he's on the left.

I believe Gini has played CM, but aye he is naturally a CAM. I'm just annoyed that he doesn't pick the youngins like Thauvin and Mbabu, and he was reluctant about Mitro and Ayoze as well, both recently and the start of the season. When we have picked youngins it has worked well for us in the past, that 5 game win streak last season when Pardew was here was because of Abeid, and Aarons and Armstrong were really good in the cup game at Manchester City.

But I agree with you about wanting to trying to play some sort of football instead of playing unrecognisable shite and getting trounced like last season.

McClaren is petrified of losing every game 5-0 since the Palace debacle, I think.

So he considers playing 3 central defenders in the back 4 and nullifying the left side as being preferable to sticking 2 young lads on the left.

I think he was trying to coach them into a passing game prior to that match but now it's back to basics, defend first (particularly in the first 45), attack second.

Not sure he's right, but I think it's what he's doing. And at least it shows he has more than one idea in his head.

He's had a nightmare start, but I think he'll come good in most eventualities.