Luque yesterday

LeazesMag

From todays Guardian;

Shepherds top for flops

Could it be that Graeme Souness deserves a modicum of sympathy over the signing of the winger Albert Luque, whose desperate form has left his £9.5m transfer fee looking hideously inflated? Sources close to the deal insist Luque was bought at the behest of the chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son Kenneth with minimal input from Souness. This may explain why the Shepherds refuse to countenance offloading the misfiring winger to raise funds while continuing to blame Souness's transfer activities for the club's results. The Shepherds have form for such ill-starred purchases, having foisted Patrick Kluivert on a reluctant Bobby Robson in 2004.

Souness is understood to have discussed his future with a key advisor on Saturday evening following the 1-0 defeat by Blackburn. With relations between dug-out and boardroom at a new low the manager is keen to ensure he will not suffer financially when the axe falls.

So, da word on the street is Luque isn't Souness's fault after all. Interesting. Opinion of course, but interesting all the same.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From todays Guardian;

Shepherds top for flops

Could it be that Graeme Souness deserves a modicum of sympathy over the signing of the winger Albert Luque, whose desperate form has left his £9.5m transfer fee looking hideously inflated? Sources close to the deal insist Luque was bought at the behest of the chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son Kenneth with minimal input from Souness. This may explain why the Shepherds refuse to countenance offloading the misfiring winger to raise funds while continuing to blame Souness's transfer activities for the club's results. The Shepherds have form for such ill-starred purchases, having foisted Patrick Kluivert on a reluctant Bobby Robson in 2004.

Souness is understood to have discussed his future with a key advisor on Saturday evening following the 1-0 defeat by Blackburn. With relations between dug-out and boardroom at a new low the manager is keen to ensure he will not suffer financially when the axe falls.

So, da word on the street is Luque isn't Souness's fault after all. Interesting. Opinion of course, but interesting all the same.

83816[/snapback]

If true then fair play to Souness for coming out and defending Luque and saying that he's a top player that will take a while to settle etc. He also reckons his hamstring was almost completely severed which might explain why he isn't looking so quick off the mark these days.

From todays Guardian;

Shepherds top for flops

83816[/snapback]

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, seeing as the deals involving Kluivert, Butt, Milner and Speed to Bolton were all done over Bobby's head. I know this for a FACT by the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, seeing as the deals involving Kluivert, Butt, Milner and Speed to Bolton were all done over Bobby's head. I know this for a FACT by the way.

83822[/snapback]

What reason would Robson have for disagreeing with you in his own autobiography?

83822[/snapback]

What reason would Robson have for disagreeing with you in his own autobiography?

83823[/snapback]

That was my question too :huh:

83822[/snapback]

83823[/snapback]

That was my question too :o

83824[/snapback]

Oops :angry::huh:

Anyway, I knew it before his autobiography was out. :search:

Wacky such a keyboard gangsta :**************)

84056[/snapback]

and you're a total fucking nerd.

84107[/snapback]

IRONY

Edited by Sima

From todays Guardian;

Shepherds top for flops

83816[/snapback]

IF it's true ...

interesting that most of you lot agree with Shepherds judgement of a footballer

:o:angry::huh::search:

No, that would be silly. Shepherd doesn't make mistakes.

84123[/snapback]

of course not, you should be feeling pleased with him for sharing your good judgement

why is everyone having a dig at luque? there were 9 other players out there that were just as bad as worse.

seems the spaniard has taken shola's role as scapegoat of the month

after his first shot, he seemed to be sucked into some sort of shell, and avoid anything, running for balls, or owt like that, i was willing it to go in then maybe he might of turned a corner or something, but he seems to be the same every game, this may the manager or him not being able to adapt, id like to see him under another manager but my gut feeling is he will be shite under another manager too.

why is everyone having a dig at luque? there were 9 other players out there that were just as bad as worse.

84136[/snapback]

Totally agree with that. There is no way that I could single out any player for critisism after what was a completely non existant team performance on Saturday. The fact Given got man on the match for one (admittedly superb) save speaks volumes.

Having said that, after spending 9.5m on him I think it is certainly understandable that people are concerned. I just wish they tried getting behind him instead of on his back.

84136[/snapback]

Totally agree with that. There is no way that I could single out any player for critisism after what was a completely non existant team performance on Saturday. The fact Given got man on the match for one (admittedly superb) save speaks volumes.

Having said that, after spending 9.5m on him I think it is certainly understandable that people are concerned. I just wish they tried getting behind him instead of on his back.

84173[/snapback]

booing him off is a digrace. it seems that some people almost want him to fail.

84136[/snapback]

84173[/snapback]

booing him off is a digrace. it seems that some people almost want him to fail.

84244[/snapback]

Surrogate Souness tbh.