Jonjo Shelvey

Tooj

• 2 months later...

Why doesn't Shelvey give a s**t where we finish. Because no matter what happens he will still be on £80 grand a week in the Championship. Maybe he is the major cause of the dressing room unrest. Nice one Ashley.

To get to the other side

I'm not feeling too harsh about him, he's better than I thought he would be when we signed him. He's only been here a few months, some peeps here can be very harsh on players - give him at least a season before we judge him too harshly.

What I don't get about him, is how in some games he can put in defence splitting positive forward passes and in others can't pass more than 5 feet.

I'm not feeling too harsh about him, he's better than I thought he would be when we signed him. He's only been here a few months, some peeps here can be very harsh on players - give him at least a season before we judge him too harshly.

What I don't get about him, is how in some games he can put in defence splitting positive forward passes and in others can't pass more than 5 feet.

I wouldn't write him off yet but so far he's been just as I expected other than his first game. After which plenty of people were already proclaiming him to be a quality player and the missing piece of our midfield. He's been rank average since then.

I think I'm in the minority here but I think he has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. I am being very speculative here but there's not many players with his range of passing and the vision and execution to play defence-splitting passes. However he's clearly a bit of a fragile character, and he definitely hasn't covered himself in glory since coming here. But with a top manager behind him giving the belief and direction he needs, I really think he's got a pretty rare talent that can be transferred to champions league and international football. Obviously he's not going to get champions league football at NUFC cos we're going down, but I honestly think he has that level of potential. Although he's a different sort of midfielder, his situation reminds me a bit of Rob Lee when Keegan signed him - obviously a good player that a few clubs were interested in, and looked quality straight away, but no-one could have predicted how he would develop into arguably the best midfielder in the country over the next 3-4 seasons under an inspirational manager and in a good team. Lee was a couple of years older than Shelvey when he signed as well. With his style of play Shelvey might benefit from going to play in Spain, if he was interested in a move there - basically I see him as a higher quality version of Vinny Samways :D

I think I'm in the minority here but I think he has the potential to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. I am being very speculative here but there's not many players with his range of passing and the vision and execution to play defence-splitting passes. However he's clearly a bit of a fragile character, and he definitely hasn't covered himself in glory since coming here. But with a top manager behind him giving the belief and direction he needs, I really think he's got a pretty rare talent that can be transferred to champions league and international football. Obviously he's not going to get champions league football at NUFC cos we're going down, but I honestly think he has that level of potential. Although he's a different sort of midfielder, his situation reminds me a bit of Rob Lee when Keegan signed him - obviously a good player that a few clubs were interested in, and looked quality straight away, but no-one could have predicted how he would develop into arguably the best midfielder in the country over the next 3-4 seasons under an inspirational manager and in a good team. Lee was a couple of years older than Shelvey when he signed as well. With his style of play Shelvey might benefit from going to play in Spain, if he was interested in a move there - basically I see him as a higher quality version of Vinny Samways :D

:aye:

Dickie behave man, Silva, Pogba, Pirlo, Iniesta, Toure, Snjeider, Ribery, Kroos, Shelvey

It takes a lot more than nailing a 60 yard assist once every 10 games to become a world class midfielder. Not losing the ball every 3rd touch, scoring goals, putting a tackle in and tracking back would be a good start

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

Dickie behave man, Silva, Pogba, Pirlo, Iniesta, Toure, Snjeider, Ribery, Kroos, Shelvey

It takes a lot more than nailing a 60 yard assist once every 10 games to become a world class midfielder. Not losing the ball every 3rd touch, scoring goals, putting a tackle in and tracking back would be a good start

Fair enough mate :lol: . I expected to get ridicule on here for my opinion of Shelvey, as I have already had it off mates and family. As I said, I know I am being very speculative based on glimpses here and here and you are right with your comments but I think he could move up a few levels with the right manager behind him and in the right team, just like Lee did, but to a greater extent. Pirlo never scored that many goals, never put in a tackle and never tracked back but he managed OK. Likewise Rui Costa, Valeron, Riquelme etc... hence my comment about playing in Spain where a centre mid can get a bit more time on the ball and fewer defensive responsibilities. Anyway that's my opinion and I totally understand why people might find it a bit ridiculous, but there it is!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it a coincidence that Swanseas results improved straight after dropping Shelvey and the same has happened with us?

I know Swanseas result have pittered out but that's because they're safe now

I think someone said it on here after his first away performance - he's a textbook luxury player. His range of passing can be destructive if you're playing at home against a team who are dropping off but he's next to useless in the deep lying central position against a team who are pressing.

My only hope for him is if Rafa stays on and is able to get him to buy into his coaching philosophy. I don't think his work rate is enough currently for him to properly make it in the premier league.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yeah I think in a relegation battle he's a player you can't really accomodate for. He's a better player than Colback but Colback is the sort of player we need in these next couple games I comparison to Shelvey.

(Never thought in a million fucking years I'd write that last sentence.

I think Colback has done well since coming into the side, worked hard and grabbed himself a goal put in a great cross yesterday with Sissoko should have done better with.

Such a shame with Shelvey, was nice to see a player for us who can pick out a pass