Jonjo Shelvey

Tooj

nufc.com's take on it:

Sky Sports News reported on Tuesday that a bid of around £12m from Newcastle had been accepted bySwansea for midfielder Jonjo Shelvey and the player was expected on Tyneside today for a medical.

Despite completing his first game since November on Sunday (a 2-3 FA Cup loss at League Two Oxford United), the departure of the 23 year-old Essex-born England international from Swansea looks inevitable.

Coveted by Alan Pardew during his time at SJP, our interest in the former Charlton, Liverpool and Blackpool player was first reported in April 2014.

The arrival of Shelvey signals a change of approach from United, with Steve McClaren influencing the choice of player - unlike the deals last summer that were already in progress before his appointment.

And in recruiting a player with "attitude", there's a recognition that the dressing room lacks that type of personality - and has done since the likes of Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton were deliberately moved on.

Assuming the deal goes through, Shelvey will become our first permanent signing from a Premier League club since Jack Colback (although he was technically a free agent) and the first arrival for a fee since Gabriel Obertan from Manchester United in August 2011.

We've not paid a transfer fee for a top flight home grown player since Mike Williamson arrived from Portsmouth in January 2010.

When or if he'll take the armband remains to be seen, while the possibility of Shelvey going to Euro 2016 adds interest to the tournament for toon watchers.

Netting with a fine strike for Swansea against us back in December 2013 when Tim Krul kept goal, Jonjo will find at least one familiar face at Gallowgate - his former Addicks team mate Rob Elliot.

Well if Pardew rates him then I think we'll be ok

i thought the bit about a change of approach was interesting - the bit about not paying a fee on a homegrown player since Williamson in 2010 says everything about why a change in approach was needed.

interested to read mcclaren is apparently having a greater say in getting the player he wants too. also the bit about shelvey being signed for his attitude. it'd be nice if he's the sort who might give his team mates a kick up the arse when needed instead of flouncing around like he doesn't give a fuck, like the rest.

Or they panicked because we're 3rd bottom more than halfway through the season. Difficult to know how much it signals a change in policy or influence over transfers beyond this window but we're certainly crying out for first teamers who can come straight in and do a job so either way, I think it's failry positive seeing as we're not a particularly attractive destination atm.

If McClaren on the board means that he's actually able to dictate what areas of the squad needs work, then it seems like a positive step rather than the previous one of just signing a load of number 10s. But, like Alex says, this is probably more desperation than anything else. Nevertheless, Shelvey, for me, has a better range of passing than anyone in the midfield, likes a tackle and may chip in with a few goals from CM, all of which we need atm.

If McClaren on the board means that he's actually able to dictate what areas of the squad needs work, then it seems like a positive step rather than the previous one of just signing a load of number 10s. But, like Alex says, this is probably more desperation than anything else. Nevertheless, Shelvey, for me, has a better range of passing than anyone in the midfield, likes a tackle and may chip in with a few goals from CM, all of which we need atm.

He's probably better equipped for bare knuckle fighting at the hoppings next June as well. :good:

I was reading the stuff about him on the Swansea thread someone posted and it seems he lives in a rough part of Swansea as well, seems a bit of a loon but I agree it's something the team has been lacking particularly in central midfield.

Totally agree with AH that his range of passing and better shooting ability is something our CM has been crying out for, we have been persisting with 2 players that can only really do anything defensively Shelvey adds a player who is a bit more willing to gp forward and link up.

12m is a decent fee but the prem has been going mental money wise, if a player like Rodwell goes for around 10m then 12m for a bloke that regularly plays, is still young and is in the England picture isn't horrific.