Holidays 2024

McFaul

6 hours ago, zerosum said:

Nice. Any places you went that stood out?

Been to Florence a couple of times, visited San Marino, Rimini and Venice.. but not been further down toward there.

There's loads of small hilltop villages that are absolutely mint - dead quiet, even in the summer holidays, windy old streets and a piazza at the top with old blokes shouting at one another and playing cards. 

Montone, Anghiari and Spello probably stand out as the best of the smaller places. The views from the tops of these hills are crazy as well - you're looking at the landscape drawings you see on every bottle of wine you've ever had. Arezzo and Spoleto are a bit bigger with plenty to do and see.

The place we stayed comes highly recommended too - bang in the middle of nowhere so it's quiet as owt (apart from the farmers doing their thing and the fucking cockerels giving it the big one at 6am).  Some American bloke put together this video for them using his drone (which he took on holiday with him?!). 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1795841877148200&id=196892073709863&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F&_rdr

I didn't take many photos, but have attached a couple that come under the maximum file size requirement!

20180808_112327.jpg

20180804_142916.jpg

• Like 3

After a strange old summer,spent under cloudless baking skies & mostly on family duties in Scotland, we’ve booked the first week off after the kids go back to school and plan on spending it in Cornwall. I’m expecting a biblical once in a century type downpour for the whole week. We do have a plan for this; go to the pub and drink our own body weight in Rattler cider & Proper Job pale ale :) 

• Like 1

I'll expand. There was nothing particularly bad about Mauritius but nothing much to especially to recommend it unless you're an evolutionary biologist. What I didn't like:

1) Flight there. Horrendous. Went to Dubai, changed plane in that turboshit airport. Emirates serve fucking curry for breakfast. But also experienced the worst turbulence I've ever known flying over the Indian ocean, honestly thought I was going to die. Not so much by the plane crashing, more by my aorta exploding. Got there wrecked and jet lagged.

2) Weather. I went in February, so probably different to now but it was hot, humid, and wet. Exactly the weather I dislike.

3) The Island. It's small and over developed, a bit like Barbados. The capital, St Louis, was sterile.

4) South Africans. They holiday there en masse because of the relative proximity. 'Nuff said.

5) My hotel was expensive for what it was, and not near enough any supermarkets to get reasonably priced drinks/water and snacks for the room. Also very French.

What I did like:

1) The wild life, fascinating from an evolutionary perspective. There were birds there that looked like normal sparrows but were bright orange/red. It was a bit surreal. Also of course giant tortoises, giant snails, and giant Lilly pads..

2) Felt safe, if a bit boring.

3) I really enjoyed swimming and snorkelling there.

All in all I felt it wasn't worth the money or hassle and personally I'd just go to the Caribbean, preferably Cuba. Still Fish, you're off there for a wedding with mates so I'm sure that will be a lot of fun. 

54 minutes ago, Ant said:

mickey hartes daughter i take it?

(this isn't a small country jesus we know people thing for the rest of you btw :lol: famous gaa lad)

Aye, we were in a small Masters course at Queens together.

10 hours ago, Renton said:

I'll expand. There was nothing particularly bad about Mauritius but nothing much to especially to recommend it unless you're an evolutionary biologist. What I didn't like:

1) Flight there. Horrendous. Went to Dubai, changed plane in that turboshit airport. Emirates serve fucking curry for breakfast. But also experienced the worst turbulence I've ever known flying over the Indian ocean, honestly thought I was going to die. Not so much by the plane crashing, more by my aorta exploding. Got there wrecked and jet lagged.

2) Weather. I went in February, so probably different to now but it was hot, humid, and wet. Exactly the weather I dislike.

3) The Island. It's small and over developed, a bit like Barbados. The capital, St Louis, was sterile.

4) South Africans. They holiday there en masse because of the relative proximity. 'Nuff said.

5) My hotel was expensive for what it was, and not near enough any supermarkets to get reasonably priced drinks/water and snacks for the room. Also very French.

What I did like:

1) The wild life, fascinating from an evolutionary perspective. There were birds there that looked like normal sparrows but were bright orange/red. It was a bit surreal. Also of course giant tortoises, giant snails, and giant Lilly pads..

2) Felt safe, if a bit boring.

3) I really enjoyed swimming and snorkelling there.

All in all I felt it wasn't worth the money or hassle and personally I'd just go to the Caribbean, preferably Cuba. Still Fish, you're off there for a wedding with mates so I'm sure that will be a lot of fun. 

Weather is supposed to be 24 and sunny. :good:

Think we've got stuff planned for most days, so we'll not be doing loads of sight seeing, I reckon.

I don't make friends on holiday as a rule. 

I think we've got a good deal on our hotel www.lapirogue.com/en but obviously we'll not get the full picture until we're there.

Stick your negativity up your shit pipe :finger: 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Think we've got stuff planned for most days, so we'll not be doing loads of sight seeing, I reckon.

I think we've got a good deal on our hotel www.lapirogue.com/en but obviously we'll not get the full picture until we're there.

Hoy, I gave a balanced review given my experience at the time. I'm sure you'll love it. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Maybe you need to stop worrying about it and perhaps you're just trying too hard? Just be yourself and act naturally and I'm sure you'll make loads of new friends on holiday. :good:

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Maybe you need to stop worrying about it and perhaps you're just trying too hard? Just be yourself and act naturally and I'm sure you'll make loads of new friends on holiday. :good:

What, by being himself? :wacko:

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

You won't be saying that when you're MURDERED IN A HOLE.

• Like 1

Just back to work after a day at the cricket at Edgbaston, three days in the French alps and 10 days in the Dubrovnik riviera. Naturally, I’m in an outstanding mood this morning.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024