Holidays 2024

McFaul

16 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Any 15 year old tips/hints? :D

just walk everywhere because there's so much amazing stuff to see and you don't want to miss anything. all the obvious stuff like the colosseum, the vatican/sistine chapel, the roman forum and the pantheon are all breath-taking. the roman pizza is cheap and delicious, i actually preferred to the more famous neapolitan style - thinner and crispier, less doughy, but search restaurants on trip advisor in advance because the best places were off the main tourist squares and less expensive.

one my favourite memories from the trip was going to a lazio game with the mrs, watching the mental ultras behind the goal from afar, as much as we watched the match, and getting pissed on these espresso liquor things that they sold to you at your seat. 

• Like 1

also watch out when you cross the road. from memory there are no rules and pedestrians never have the right of way, even at a pedestrian crossing

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Had on, you went to the best pizza place and ordered a Margarita pizza? Glass of water with it as well, I presume.

Goddamn you people. I'm simplifying for effect. Of course I got spectacular toppings, but nothing could make up for them being served on a poppadom.

Rome is fucking amazing. Definitely didn't disappoint me. Mind, I went 10 years ago too. I imagine the tourism nowadays will spoil it a bit. The Vatican was insane even then. 

We went in 99 when we played Roma - only pisser was that in preparation for a "holy year" in 2000, the Cistine chapel was shut.

Definitely lives up to the hype - a proper sense of history.

Going with a 14 year old and my missus who'll have to be in a wheelchair as she'll not be able to walk much distance. So I'm guessing I'll be a bit knackered with it being summer pushing her around the city. 

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Rome is fucking amazing. Definitely didn't disappoint me. Mind, I went 10 years ago too. I imagine the tourism nowadays will spoil it a bit. The Vatican was insane even then. 

Aye cos no one had heard of Rome in 2009. :lol:

• Haha 6

Echo what's been said , Rome is amazing. Mind you saying that I remember a lot of cobbled streets in the older areas, and random flights of stairs.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Aye cos no one had heard of Rome in 2009. :lol:

It's obviously always been popular. But tourist attractions are getting fucking ridiculous nowadays. When I went (peak summer) the Trevi fountain wasn't utterly mobbed by people taking selfies, I didn't have to queue for anything other than the vatican. From what I've seen, it is now, the fountain is 10 deep. Seems to be the same for all Europe's Premier attractions, Venice being a prime example. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024