Holidays 2024

McFaul

• 1 month later...

First week in January is all about holiday planning. 

Wondering if any of our resident Lake District experts have ever stayed at bassenthwaite and if so is it worth staying there? We had a great time at Keswick and Borrowdale last year. Is it close enough to get from bassenthwaite to that neck of the woods?

The place we’re looking at is at the south side of bassenwhIte lake, near the winlatter Forest, which has the go ape, which I’m thinking will suit the 8 year olds in the party.

Random fact. Bassenthwaite is the only "lake" in the lake district. 

I can't comment because I've not been much, other than to see the wildlife park, which was good for kids. I would say though it's on the periphery of the lakes and quite flat. I've always preferred the more mountainous areas. Close to Keswick and Skiddaw though, you can climb Skiddaw from the much superior back end from there (missus). 

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

How long to drive from one to the other would you say? Doesn’t look that far on the map but the roads there are pretty slow

Bassenthwaite to Keswick? Nowt, probably 10 minutes. There's a fast bus too. 

• Thanks 1

Nice area Bassenthwaite.

Done loads of cycling round there and Whinlatter.

Theres the Lakes Distillery there and they have a restaurant thats nice.
Sun Inn in Bassenthwaite is OK from what I remember but theres a better one about 10mins drive in Uldale called Snooty Fox.

Aye, South end of Bassenthwaite is officially only a “kick in the arse” away from Keswick. 

You’re not far from Newlands Valley, which is a really nice part of the area. 

Cockermouth, in the other direction, is home to Jennings Brewery, if you need a wet weather alternative. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

My friends and I are already planning our vacation for summer. We are thinking of renting this villa in morroco(link removed - Andrew.) anyone been to this country? Is it worth going there?

Edited by Andrew

6 hours ago, Airman said:

My friends and I are already planning our vacation for summer. We are thinking of renting this villa in morroco(link removed - Andrew.) anyone been to this country? Is it worth going there?

:lol: 

Going to a posh hotel in Rye this weekend with wor lass. Apparently we’re having a bairn in February so this’ll be my last holiday involving any sort of peace.  I’ve had to ask for a room on the ground floor; as well as looking like she’s hiding a Galapagos tortoise up her jumper, she’s tediously slow on stairs these days.  There’ll be no sex (ever again?) so I’m taking the Switch.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

Going to a posh hotel in Rye this weekend with wor lass. Apparently we’re having a bairn in February so this’ll be my last holiday involving any sort of peace.  I’ve had to ask for a room on the ground floor; as well as looking like she’s hiding a Galapagos tortoise up her jumper, she’s tediously slow on stairs these days.  There’ll be no sex (ever again?) so I’m taking the Switch.  

:lol: welcome back. And commiserations 

Last holiday I had like that was a week in Barbados in an adults-only resort about 8 years ago. I struggled to hold back the tears when the staff waved us goodbye, saying they hoped to see us again soon. Which of course they wouldn’t. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 1

I've resigned myself to city breaks with the wife since the little one came along, it's okay to get someone to keep her for a few days but I worry that any more is taking the piss. Still get away for a week or two in the sun every year but it's never ever the same.

Which reminds me I'm off to Washington DC for four nights in April. That's just about enough to keep me from slitting my wrists at the moment.

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I've resigned myself to city breaks with the wife since the little one came along, it's okay to get someone to keep her for a few days but I worry that any more is taking the piss. Still get away for a week or two in the sun every year but it's never ever the same.

Which reminds me I'm off to Washington DC for four nights in April. That's just about enough to keep me from slitting my wrists at the moment.

Another Catholic school trip? 

3 hours ago, trophyshy said:

:snigger:

Congratumisserations. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024