Holidays 2024

McFaul

If you do the High Street range when we have a really dry summer there's a good chance of seeing Mardale coming out of the retreating waters of Haweswater.

The lake was low but not that low as it happens. Forgot to mention, I met Chris Bonnington up there which was canny.

• 1 month later...

The lake was low but not that low as it happens. Forgot to mention, I met Chris Bonnington up there which was canny.

"You don't have to be Chris Bonnington to meet a giant puffterballs on the High Street range, but I am and I did."

Thinking of going the full middle clsss and driving to France for holiday not next year but the one after. Probably to the Normandy/Brittany area cos I can't be fucked with spending too much time driving.

Any recommendations on towns/areas to base around would be good cheers. Would be up for splitting it one week somewhere and a second week somewhere else if that would be worthwhile.

Posh people of TT, help a brother out.

With Normandy, you're probably best booking a few decent B&Bs or 3/4 star hotels in the good towns. If you come from Calais, i'd go. 

Etretat - Picturesque village / town with massive cliffs, nice walks

Deauville - Posh seaside resort, has a film festival. Loads of parisians have their 'maison secondaire' there. 

Cabourg - Just as nice as Deauville but cheaper, might be a good place to base yourself to explore the coast between Le Havre and Bayeux

Bayeux - Decent carpet

Brittany is not somewhere i know as well. I would recommend going to somewhere like St Malo but the best spots are on the southern facing coast of Brittany and particular the Gulf of Morbihan. You'd want to stay in Vannes to explore the coast between Concarneau and Saint-Nazaire. 

Thinking of going the full middle clsss and driving to France for holiday not next year but the one after. Probably to the Normandy/Brittany area cos I can't be fucked with spending too much time driving.

Any recommendations on towns/areas to base around would be good cheers. Would be up for splitting it one week somewhere and a second week somewhere else if that would be worthwhile.

How about a week in Normandy followed by a week in Brittany? Or maybe the other way round. You're welcome

With Normandy, you're probably best booking a few decent B&Bs or 3/4 star hotels in the good towns. If you come from Calais, i'd go.

Etretat - Picturesque village / town with massive cliffs, nice walks

Deauville - Posh seaside resort, has a film festival. Loads of parisians have their 'maison secondaire' there.

Cabourg - Just as nice as Deauville but cheaper, might be a good place to base yourself to explore the coast between Le Havre and Bayeux

Bayeux - Decent carpet

Brittany is not somewhere i know as well. I would recommend going to somewhere like St Malo but the best spots are on the southern facing coast of Brittany and particular the Gulf of Morbihan. You'd want to stay in Vannes to explore the coast between Concarneau and Saint-Nazaire.

Excellent, thanks. This is what I was hoping for, some town/area ideas. I've been looking at Owners Direct for private rentals, but wasn't sure if I was looking at places in the equivalent of Pennywell.

The tolls are fucking murder mate. I refuse to drive around France and just hand over hundreds of euros for using roads. Italy is better.

Had a nice week in Umbria a few years back (Gualdo Tadino). Everyone goes to Assisi and you should if you've never been but Gubbio is really nice too if you're nearby. A lot less like a theme park and more like a real place. Lovely part of the world. The drive between there and Rome is pretty spectacular too.

4 nights in the middle of nowhere in a converted farmhouse in Umbria (AirB&B place, looks lush: http://abnb.me/EVmg/nYDLaAZN2y ) . Then 3 nights at a hotel in Rome.

That looks amazing.

Trying to organise a stag do that isn't likely to have the group end up on some God awful Channel 5 show called "Brits and Tits in Split" or the like.

Went on one a few years back, a villa in Portugal, and I'm trying to do something similar, but it's hard to find somewhere with the pool, the bar, stuff going on locally that isn't either quite twatty, or outside the modest budget of some of the lads going.

Have you looked at AirB&B? Some of the prices for big places that you could fit a load of people in are canny low.

Are there single lads going that are gonna want to be going on the pull? Cos if not if you got a nice enough villa and could just knock about there, you don't really need to be going on big nights out. I'm thinking book readings, monopoly, romcoms in the cinema room and hygge of an evening.

Have you looked at AirB&B? Some of the prices for big places that you could fit a load of people in are canny low.

Are there single lads going that are gonna want to be going on the pull? Cos if not if you got a nice enough villa and could just knock about there, you don't really need to be going on big nights out. I'm thinking book readings, monopoly, romcoms in the cinema room and hygge of an evening.

Yeah and I'm sure we'll sort something.

If we can, this could be quality http://www.groupaccommodation.com/properties/crewe-and-harpur-buxton-derbyshire-peak-district essentially a pub you have to yourself.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024