Holidays 2024

McFaul

We definitely toured around a bit on one of those trips with my parents, Teide included, but I remember it feeling pretty touristy even then, which is why I've never been overly keen to go back. I know the Lanzarote resorts are as generic as anywhere else but you've got the Timanfaya side of the island, the lagoons/caves and La Graciosa (which I finally went to on my most recent trip) which are all pretty remarkable in their own way. Will do my best to find something similar on the 'rife, though admittedly the main priority is sunshine, brain detachment and ploughing through a pile of books, so I'm sure it'll be grand for that either way.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 09:43, Meenzer said:

Just booked for Tenerife in May - the usual villa trip with the Eurovision gang, but we thought we'd try somewhere different for a change. Not that there's a huge difference between Tenerife and the other Canaries, but still. :lol: I went to Tenerife with my folks in 1988 and 1990 on cheap and cheerful package deals but know basically nothing about it beyond that & have always had the impression it's the less interesting of the islands, if only because it got the tourist developments first. We're staying in Costa Adeje, which looks nice, but I'm hoping to hire a car and explore a bit.

Oh dear, if it’s not Saharan dust storms it’s Coronavirus :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51627597

( my daughter is due to go to Courmayeur in Val D’Aosta, Northern Italy in a week with her school, so I’ll be keeping an eye on that one :mellow: ). 

• 4 weeks later...

My mam's got a static at the big caravan place right next to the lake in Keswick. I'm hoping to get there in the summer. Should be feasible as long as they haven't all been sequestered as field hospitals. 

was supposed to be best man art a mate's (second) wedding in spain in july, followed by a week in mallorca - cant see either of those happening.

was supposed to have a week in paris for the wife's 40th over easter - yeah, right. 

when this is finally over, i might take the kids to disney orlando then a week on miami beach or something ridiculous that we would never usually do

Tenerife in May for Eurovision is obviously off for several reasons :lol: , and I'm assuming a weekend I've booked on the Dutch coast in mid-July is in trouble now too, but the airbnb is refundable and the travel can be rebooked for free so it could be worse. Hopeful I might get over to see my mate in Frankfurt at the end of August - I don't mind just kicking about at home or going for the odd bike ride if bars/restaurants are still shut, as long as some of the travel restrictions are lifted by then. We'll see.

Mind, there's going to be a lot of people with a lot of unused holiday entitlement they need to burn through towards the end of the year. Might hit the economy even worse than the virus. :lol: 

Italy cancelled, meant to be at a wedding in Portugal in July but doubt that will happen.

Got a cabin for 4 days in the lakes in August which might still be possible hopefully 

Well, I was supposed to be going to Belgium next week.  Cancelled.
Lakes for Easter, Cancelled.
Italy in mid June - Almost deffo cancelled.

Fingers crossed for our Anniversary trip to Ibiza in Sept.
I also have a weekend in Belgium booked for November.

TBH I would happily have fuck all holiday if this lot went away!

I'm guessing most package holiday deposits will be paid back or there maybe be an option to transfer to next year? I really want to go back to Italy. Wonder if costs will increase or decrease. Will we be in extended transition or hard Brexit with our shitty blue passports? So many imponderables. Pound tanking won't help like. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Nowt booked but intended to go to Ayia Napa in October again - had thought of having a cheeky week there in May before this blew up. 

If October does become feasible I might try and do 3 weeks instead of 2 - maybe even more. 

I usually take a week at the end of march for my birthday and sometimes go away but there was an annual sql convention work paid me to go to which was going to take place that week (now cancelled)  which is why I had a week at home last week which was good prep for WFH this week just gone. I've only been out to the co-op for two and a half weeks now so I'll be fucked off of I catch the virus. 

39 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

At this stage I'll take Margate.

Luxury.

The best we could manage was basking on a thin sun beam that only hits the edge of our front path - if we were lucky! 

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024